Notices

Dependency vs habit

Old 08-25-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Dependency vs habit

Is there a difference between one who is alcohol dependent and one who habitually abuses alcohol?

Hypo
Old 08-25-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In terms of the title of your thread, I'd see dependency versus habit as more a continuum. One can be dependent on anything - say for example, a defence mechanism or behaviour, that began as a reasonable response in some ways, became habitual, and now, is too frightening to consider not doing so is a form of dependency. All of it implies unlearning, taking faith and courage and a good network of support. At least, that is my experience

In terms of alcohol, my understanding of dependence is that medical intervention & medical detox is required to stop drinking safely.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's purely a semantics argument. If alcohol causes problems, quitting is the best solution no matter what you call it.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I just thought i was a habitual user till I tried to quit....
Old 08-25-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

I'm just curious. I'm on day seven and have had no withdrawal symptoms other than a mild headache on day two. I really miss my beer but that always led to vodka, rum and wine. So...I've quit. I just feel lost when Im not at work as I was always with a beer in hand.

Hypo
Old 08-25-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol dependence is a physical state where absence of alcohol causes physiological "discomfort" or withdrawal symptoms such as night sweats or DT's. An habitual drinker suffers largely psychological symptoms when deprived of alcohol. I'm also sure that there is a fair amount of overlap between the two: it is hard to imagine someone being alcohol dependent without also being habituated.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
Alcohol dependence is a physical state where absence of alcohol causes physiological "discomfort" or withdrawal symptoms such as night sweats or DT's. An habitual drinker suffers largely psychological symptoms when deprived of alcohol. I'm also sure that there is a fair amount of overlap between the two: it is hard to imagine someone being alcohol dependent without also being habituated.
But can one be habituated and not dependent?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A habit is buckling your seatbelt every time you get in the car, or rinsing out your coffee cup before you put it in the sink.

Use of the term "habit" rarely fits in with the struggle most folks have with alcohol, fails to explain the difficulties they have in quitting. No one tries to control a "habit." But all of us have tried to control our alcohol consumption.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Z, I thought it was a habit until I quit, now my body wants it badly and is putting me through a lot to get it
Old 08-25-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

"now my body wants it badly and is putting me through a lot to get it". Me too....trying to understand it better. I'm really doing much better than I thought I would be on day 7. Kinda scares me. Thanks for the imput guys!

Hypo
Old 08-25-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Hypocritical View Post
I'm just curious. I'm on day seven and have had no withdrawal symptoms other than a mild headache on day two. I really miss my beer but that always led to vodka, rum and wine. So...I've quit. I just feel lost when Im not at work as I was always with a beer in hand.

Hypo
One of addictions' oldest tricks is to make you think that you aren't addicted, and I think you are seeing that right now.

Being "always with a beer in hand" when not at work is not a characteristic of a normal drinker by any stretch of the imagination. But your addiction would have you think that it is normal and you are right..it does feel weird at first. Over time you will get used to it though and things will be much better.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
One of addictions' oldest tricks is to make you think that you aren't addicted, and I think you are seeing that right now.

Being "always with a beer in hand" when not at work is not a characteristic of a normal drinker by any stretch of the imagination. But your addiction would have you think that it is normal and you are right..it does feel weird at first. Over time you will get used to it though and things will be much better.
Thanks. I am getting "use to it". I really can't believe it. I thought I'd be clawing at the fridge by now. Prayerfully it will continue this smoothly.

Hypo
Old 08-25-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

In my experience, one can be an alcoholic or perhaps a heavy drinker. One may pass from certain stages to the next through the progression of alcoholism. But yes, some drink as a coping mechanism or given certain circumstances and are capable of changing the way they drink I have learned in the program I work.

I am glad I know today that I am an alcoholic. Many die trying to figure out what they are. Not sure anyone is better off drinking - sobriety is such a better way to live.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

A habit is an unconscious behavior. E.g. the way I tie my shoes, the way I get ready in the morning..changin these doesn't alter me drastically....

Dependency is a reliance. E.g. needing a drink to calm my nerves, needing coffee to wake up...without these...I have physical symptoms....

They are different.

Googled them...
Old 08-25-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

there are all sorts of ways to abuse alcohol. Some ppl have a bad "habit" as you put it. Some others have become dependent. Of those two groups, some are even alcoholics - and of those, some are chronic and some are acute alcoholics.

When I convinced myself I just had a bad habit, I didn't "really" have to do anything about it because........you know......habits come and go and this one will go away on it's own eventually. The big bonus in that belief was I got to continue to party exactly as I wanted to and I'd just sit back and wait for some magical day to come where I'd stop.

The day eventually came where, with some education, I learned I was not only an alcoholic, but a chronic alcoholic. I sure didn't think that was possible for someone who only drank 2 or 3 days a week. Silly me..... always willing to believe anything that will allow me to not address my problems.

The good part of my discovery was it put me in a position where I HAD to do something about it. As much as I didn't want to.......I had to. What a horribly wonderful day!!

I HIGHLY recommend finding out what you are......it's a matter of life or death.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mpr

I would say yes there is a difference. Someone physically dependent, will physically needs the alcohol, their body needs it. A habitual drinker/problem drinkers problem isn't so much physical (over time it can be) but more so mental chess with his/herself, these people can usual abstain without withdrawal unlike the individual who is physically addicted.

If one worse off than the other? Not really. They both just take a different path which leads to the same road in the end, they both have a problem, both are alcoholics.

My two cents.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

But can one be habituated and not dependent?

yes.
in my own life, i was severely habituated but only mildly dependant physically.

but there was/is more to it for me.

the physical stuff was very short-term, and then of course i had habits and habitual associations that were "triggers" and that i needed to break.

but there was/is more.

after all that, i had to deal with/live with/change/address the "rest of it", which is what some call alcoholism.

ever wonder why people, after breaking this "habit" or getting past physical "dependence" relapse? after a month? after 23 years?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Today is day 8 and I'm really learning about triggers. It's funny the things you associate with having a beer/drink. Silly really.

Hypo
Old 08-26-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Hypocritical View Post
Today is day 8 and I'm really learning about triggers. It's funny the things you associate with having a beer/drink. Silly really.

Hypo
Congrats on Day 8, that's a great achievement. I personally drank pretty much all the time every day ( other then when at work ) so the only "trigger" I needed was being awake for the most part.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

hello Hypo -- congrats on 8 days!

I wrestled with this question a lot too. I did not have much in the way of withdrawal symptoms, maybe a little insomnia the first week. My addiction wanted me to think that meant I wasn't really dependent on alcohol and not really an alcoholic.

The more sober time I get, the more I'm able to see that I'm an alcoholic, because of the way I think and react to the world. It was only a matter of time before my drinking would have worsened and caused all the things we read about, such as withdrawals. It's like I'm on a bus headed for a certain town -- it may still be a thousand miles away, but if I don't get off the bus, I'm headed for that town.

I decided to get off the bus and try to learn from the struggles of others. Just because I didn't have withdrawals (yet) doesn't mean I'm not an alcoholic.