Notices

So tired of living this way

Old 08-05-2015, 11:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So tired of living this way

So here I am after binge. I have been drinking 100proof vodka almost daily for the past six years. Not to mention that I have been taking suboxone for eight years and am a smoker. I lost my mom to an overdose four years ago and my father is an alcoholic/addict. I go one to two days withoutd drinking then back to it. I am going to give it another try today. I just need support. Does anyone have suggestions for online meetings, books, etc. I am in mid 40s and need to get my life back before it is too late. Thanks for ur support. I need to make it work this time.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Not sure how to offer my support . . .
When I achieved lasting sobriety my support came from face to face meetings and telephone calls.
Don't know if I could have done it with only on-line meetings and reading books.
There are those on this site who have managed it.
You may want to consider getting more help and support in person.
Why not call someone?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

There are SR mtns every tuesday & friday in chat @9pm

Glad you found us have you got a plan http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 08-06-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi
If you read the different forums a conclusion is drawn that getting sober is not a cake walk for most. It requires self honesty about our own drinking, foreign to most alcoholics, and acceptance that we can’t drink alcohol in safety. Continued sobriety requires constant work even when we are feeling good years from now because alcoholism is powerful, baffling, cunning and insidious which will take us out in a heartbeat.
Unfortunately there are no softer easier ways that work for the majority of alcoholics.

BE WELL
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Dawn, glad to hear that you are giving sobriety another try. As others have mentioned, there is no "easy" way to do it, and the first requirement is an unconditional comnittment no matter what program you choose. The phrase "I will not pick up a drink today NO MATTTER WHAT" is a good one to learn and live by!

There are online meetings in the chatroom here and there are definitely AA meetings online on other sites, google can find them in short order. There are daily threads you can join here as well. Face to face support can be irreplaceable for many though. If you truly have a comnittment to sobriety, you can find time to at least explore meetings ( AA or otherwise ) and find out what it's all about.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you are willing to do whatever it takes to get sober, you will likely succeed.

However, if you plan to stick in your comfort zone, refuse to do what makes you uncomfortable, you are probably not doing enough.

See your doctor, be honest about your drinking, and find a program of recovery in your town. That would be my suggestion.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I've read numerous books. it would be hard for me to recomend any of them without knowing more about your situation.

I guess I'd say awareness by anthony de mello was pretty good an the power of now. neither are addiction books but rather good ate helping you live int he present and gain a better perspective.

I drank like a fish and smoked over 2 packs a day. I was 275lbs and struggled to walk up the stairs etc.. Now i'm 4 years sober dont smoke and i'm 160lbs and run 70 miles a week or so. My point is there is hope it can be done and there are brighter days ahead so long as you dont drink etc..

take it easy 1 day at a time and keep it simple. its not a race its not a competition.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

dawn, this thread might be helpful for you. It explains a technique called "AVRT" which stands for addictive voice recognition technique.

Give it a read and see if it makes sense to you.

Love from Lenina

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me, it was very hard to quit but once I did, the two things that have helped are 1. Don't drink, ever, for any reason. 2. Have faith that it will get better and easier. If you follow step one, it will. I promise.