Notices

Hard anniversary Saturday....feeling overwhelmed

Old 06-28-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Life is complicated.

Have you thought about posting your concerns in the Friends and Family section? That is how I initially came into recovery in 1988 - through being personally exhausted by other peoples' problems, and feeling like I had to or even could do anything about them.

Your Dad has to deal with his own alcoholism - or not.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
quat

Brynn
I just saw your thread. So sorry about your sister and this anniversary. But I can't help thinking that this weekend and the why you have handled it , and shared and inspired, will be a 'good' one , if not right now certainly in retrospect. Wish you well and sending you gentle peaceful vibes.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

brynn,

the best way to help your dad, i think, is to help yourself with staying sober and learning to find that balance between obligation and boundaries. it can be a shifting thing, for sure.
i have two kids, and from this "side" hope that they do not feel an obligation as such simply because i am their mother. however, i do hope they'll find that i can add something and that it's a reciprocal thing...
sounds good, eh???

my situation is different in that my parents aren't alcoholics, but my mom's in hospital right now after a fall and her dementia is stopping her from recovering, while my dad is at home with prostate cancer and overwhelming exhaustion.
so, just as most of us here, though the circumstances differ, i need to find and adjust that boundary/obligation line. it's a bit fluid.

keep yourself safe and do what helps you. ultimately, that will make you able to be of help to your dad in healthier ways.

omg that sounds new-agey and trite!

don't mean it that way