Notices

Need support...

Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need support...

Hello everyone. I posted on here a year ago concerning my desire to become sober. I am still struggling and know that a large part if it is because I am not interacting with others who understand. I judge myself and then I isolate. I have been drinking, pretty much daily, for past six years. My health and appearance are being ruined, along with my relationships suffering. I dont feel like the same woman I was years ago. I am open to suggestions from others. Thanks
Old 06-01-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back, Dawn!

I had to really put some effort into early sobriety--ninety AA meetings in the first ninety days and frequent visits to SoberRecovery. Give it a try--it works if you work it!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Dawn. I understand your feelings. I can only speak for myself but I can say that nothing got better until I made some real tough decisions that were really uncomfortable at first. I took myself to an inpatient rehab and then on to AA. The good ....nay, great news is that I didn't have to do it alone and things got much better over time....particularly health and relationships. There are many ways to get sober and live a meaningful life. Find the one that works for you and get to it. I wish you all the best.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dawn. I would definitely say that many of us have been where you are now. Personally, I sat idly by and watched my health, physical appearance, and countless relationships go down the drain for a lot of years before I decided to quit for good. It was one of the most difficult and best decisions I have ever made; every aspect of my life has improved since. I hope that you can start remembering how much better life can be and make the choice to get yours back as well.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

I went to a few AA meetings in my 20s after a drink driving conviction.
I didn't go back until my 40s. I knew that they would help me to stop drinking, Now in my 50s I am glad to be sober with the help of AA.
I would have preferred to isolate, as well, and I procrastinated for a long time. To be honest, I didn't want to stop drinking until things got bad enough.
At least I knew where to get help when I wanted to stop drinking.

In my experience and from what others have said, you have to really want to stop drinking for any recovery programme to have a good chance of success.

It sounds as if you have a sincere desire to stop drinking, Dawn.

If you do want sobriety, go for it. You are worth it.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back dawn, lots of good suggestions here. I think attending meetings locally would be a great idea if you seek others that understand to congregate with. Spending time on SR is also a great virtual way to do the same of course. If you want some more structured participation here you can always join one of the monthly or daily threads too, or joint the online meetings in the chat room.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dawn

Making a recovery plan - a plan to stay sober was very important to me. There are some great suggestions here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 06-03-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am on my third day and feeling optimistic. I had a bad craving omw home last night bit stayed strong. I reminded myself how I would feel this.morning. I started a journal and have.been reading WFS literature. I have been reading the different threads on this site and it is helping. I am pff work today. Going to enjoy this beautiful weather. Thanks again for those who shared their advice
Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on Day 3 and good job on getting through the cravings last night. Sounds like you have some good plans in place moving forward, the cravings will definitely decrease in strength and frequency as you get more sober time under your belt. Enjoy the day!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on Day 3 and good job on getting through the cravings last night. Sounds like you have some good plans in place moving forward, the cravings will definitely decrease in strength and frequency as you get more sober time under your belt. Enjoy the day!
Thanks! :-)
Old 06-03-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Dawn - Welcome back.

This site has been really helpful for me in my sobriety. There is a lot of info and hope.

I'm happy for you that you decided to stop drinking. Sounds like this is the time for you.