Notices

This is it!

Old 05-29-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is it!

I can't seem to stay sober for more than a week and every time I drink I over do it. Enough already.

I just got told that I'm borderline diabetic and I promised myself that I would stop for that reason only (like I need another one!) but within a few days I'm back at it.

I'm already in a funk for a variety of reasons so pouring beer on top is not helping.... it's making it worse.

I have just researched all the local AA meetings.

This is it. It stops today.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...holds the key

((Zen))....this is really good news! You've wanted to quit for so long now and I think getting some face to face support is a great idea as you move forward!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good decision.

When is your first meeting? Strike while the iron's hot and grab all the support you can, both on here and at meetings.

Good on 'ya!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

stick to your guns dont become another statistic. ask yoruself how bad do you want it to get before you get motivated why not get ahead of it? Diabetes is a scary game and when it can be prevented why not.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Good decision.

When is your first meeting? Strike while the iron's hot and grab all the support you can, both on here and at meetings.

Good on 'ya!
There is a meeting in an hour and a half a few blocks from me.

I'm gonna go to it. Not sure if I'll talk.... think for today I will just listen.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
stick to your guns dont become another statistic. ask yoruself how bad do you want it to get before you get motivated why not get ahead of it? Diabetes is a scary game and when it can be prevented why not.

Yeah! I don't want diabetes. Fcuk that noise.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

i was really heavy and slimmed down etc.. but my brother on the other hand he didnt change his ways (he doesnt drink tho) but he ended up with type 2. I shake my head just fix your diet etc.. but he wont do anything about it other then pop the pills the doc gave him.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
This is it. It stops today.
First the decision. Then the work.

Don't skimp on the recovery work.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rock on, zengirl! I'm newly back at it, too. Let's get this shizzle done!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear it zen...i think seeking local support through meetings is a great idea.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is a meeting in an hour and a half a few blocks from me.

I'm gonna go to it. Not sure if I'll talk.... think for today I will just listen.
Do it. Absolutely no need to talk today.

Let us know how you get on

PS Lots of threads re what to expect at your first meeting if that will help at all - you're sounding good n positive though.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I chickened out of going to the meeting. I went for lunch and took my dog to the beach instead.

I'm considering making a Big Plan again..... the thing is that I didn't follow through with it last time and ended up drinking again so I don't want to say the words just to let myself down again. Maybe that is AV though.....

I really do want to be free of this Goddamn obsession!
Old 05-29-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Hope this might help Zen. AA Toronto Agnostics - AA Toronto Agnostics Home Page

Perhaps call them?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I chickened out of the first few meetings I tried to go to as well. Literally got there and walked past the door. Maybe give them a call so you know someone it waiting for you / ready to welcome you - they might even be able to arrange to meet elsewhere and arrive together. Walking into that first meeting IS a big deal and it is scary. Doesn't mean to say you can't do it though. Why not call the local number now and have a chat?
Old 05-29-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I chickened out of going to the meeting. I went for lunch and took my dog to the beach instead.

I'm considering making a Big Plan again..... the thing is that I didn't follow through with it last time and ended up drinking again so I don't want to say the words just to let myself down again. Maybe that is AV though.....

I really do want to be free of this Goddamn obsession!
I live in Toronto and if you want me to take you to a meeting we could get in touch and maybe I can keep you company if you're hesitant on your own. PM me if that would help!
Old 05-29-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
I chickened out of the first few meetings I tried to go to as well. Literally got there and walked past the door. Maybe give them a call so you know someone it waiting for you / ready to welcome you - they might even be able to arrange to meet elsewhere and arrive together. Walking into that first meeting IS a big deal and it is scary. Doesn't mean to say you can't do it though. Why not call the local number now and have a chat?

I've actually been to AA before. It's just been a looooooooooong time. And it IS a big deal to walk through those doors. I was in such a bad place the first time I walked in that I sobbed like a little girl. It was pretty pitiful lol.

Some time over this weekend I'm going to get some courage together and hit up a meeting. There are bunch around me. The secular one is so close that I can walk to it.

I've been trying to stay sober for a long time. I feel like a broken record.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
i was really heavy and slimmed down etc.. but my brother on the other hand he didnt change his ways (he doesnt drink tho) but he ended up with type 2. I shake my head just fix your diet etc.. but he wont do anything about it other then pop the pills the doc gave him.
I've packed on the pounds since I hurt my knee. It's so easy to gain and soooooo hard to lose!! But I know people with diabetes and it's hard to manage. I don't want to have to micromanage every piece of food that I put in my mouth. Far better to change to a healthier lifestyle before it's too late.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IfYouCanDream View Post
I live in Toronto and if you want me to take you to a meeting we could get in touch and maybe I can keep you company if you're hesitant on your own. PM me if that would help!
Thank you!! That is very kind of you!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3. I feel good. I wasn't drinking daily again yet so there's no withdrawal.

I went out on Friday night to see Bonobo. He's a trip hop producer and DJ. I had had the tickets for months and was looking forward to it so I went even though it was in a bar. I didn't drink. I actually had a better time without it. I could dance without having to hold my drink the whole time!

I went to my first AA meeting this morning.... it was a women's meeting. I'm really glad I went. It was good to be around other sober women. I'm going to keep going. I didn't talk, I listened. Once I get more comfortable I'm sure I will start wanting to share. Plus I think listening is very appropriate for me right now.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Zenchaser! I had the same situation- prediabetes. I have improved and also need to cut out alcohol entirely so I do not become diabetic. I tweaked my diet a bit too, but I was told by the nurse practitioner that after cutting out alcohol I should return to normal. But quitting is crucial. I was testing my sugars while drinking a couple months back- it's not good!
Let's do this while we still can