Notices

How do you keep sober?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Exercise and a fitness/weight loss goal.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

I stay sober by staying on top of my sobriety some choose to be a non drinker i know im alcoholic if i didnt learn about tools for sobriety like having a plan etc things would undoubtedly be a lot harder & confusing

Learning and recognising my AV helps

Going mtns really helped although SR is my main source of sobriety as it covers so much i love it here

i went group therapy 3-4 days pw for months learning about myself

learned to meditate

spoke to an alcoholic outreach team

All theese things kept me sober but the greatest gift that keeps me sober ?

Hi im Soberwolf i am alcoholic i accept that and i also accept that i cant drink safely or respsonsibly

Thats the greatest gift i have been granted in sobriety
Old 04-21-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
While this might not make any sense, the one thing I don't do is try to keep myself sober. Not that I never tried that, I must have tried it at least a thousand times but it was never entirely reliable in the long run.

What I do "DO" is live a way of life that attracts equanimity into my life, which in turn, solves my drinking problem for me.
Boleo will you tell me about the picture in your profile. Is that your dog?
Old 04-21-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Rob32u View Post
Boleo will you tell me about the picture in your profile. Is that your dog?
No, that's a picture of me when I was young.

Faith (dog) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-21-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Thanks guys. I do need to start doing something to associate with other alcoholics. I'll go to a meeting and if I meet people like you it will make me a better person. I've been doing well but feel like I've been tossed a cliff with this one.

Thanks for listening to me rant and help.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have lost a couple of close family members, my mom was one of them. I do know that I wasn't able to process my grief while drinking. I got sober about three years after she died and it's been the best thing for me. I'm now healing. The pain is much less. Time really does heal us - if we allow it to

I am very sorry for your loss.

What keeps me sober? I keep me sober I make sure that I don't drink. It is not an option. And I go on with my life. I focus on the good things, and build and work on the things I want to develop. It's slow and steady sometimes. A series of daily actions.

You can do it
Old 04-21-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by otter View Post
I'm ok. It's just a really easy time to have a drink to kill the pain. I won't.
there were quite a few times when I was actively drinking someone close to me died and I thought drinking was killing/ easing the pain.
It was a lie. All it did was keep me from facing my feelings/ emotions and grieve. Kept me to keep going around and around it.
I've had a couple deaths in recovery that hit me nd I've learned how to grieve.
But not on my own. I had a great support network both on here and f2f that helped me through it.
One thing that went through my mind occasionally going though the grieving process- how much a drink would make it worse.

Prayers out for ya!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I know I'm one of those posters that just chimes in every now and then and I apologize for that flaw. What are some the steps you keep sober? I lost a family member and and struggling.

Any advice would be loved.
I use the Easy Way(Allen Carr).
I fully accept alcohol does nothing and takes all.
I fully accept alcohol is poison.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I know I'm one of those posters that just chimes in every now and then and I apologize for that flaw. What are some the steps you keep sober? I lost a family member and and struggling.

Any advice would be loved.

How long have you been sober for?

I lost my Father in March of this year and I was so close to drinking. I even bought the beer and it sat in my fridge. But I waited and then I waited some more, soon it was late, so I left it and went to bed. I've been sober for 8 months now and that was the closest I've been to drinking. I now take it as a blessing and a lesson learn't. The situation made me stronger.

Like one of the others said on here, Exercise and Diet is key. For years I would lift weights and get fit, only to go back to the beginning the moment I picked up my first beer. Right now, I have been my personal best in all my lifts and I look so much better than I have in a long time.

Keep going mate, take each day at a time. For me at 8 months, days even weeks go now without even thinking of drinking and when I do think about it, it last no more than seconds. With time it gets easier. But never pick up that first drink (simple)
Old 04-23-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi otter. I take those 12 little steps. at times like that I need em more than ever. I try to think of how its all right to be sad and I let me be sad but then I get out of it by getting to a meeting and trying to do service. I pray for help too, it seems to work, as I lost a love one too last year. you''l bee okay.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

A lot of therapy , a lot of exercise, support groups can help. Reminders of why I dont drink ( pros and cons list, sounds silly but works well).
Being around others, isolating is big trigger for me
Old 04-25-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I check in here and post every day. I made time to drink every single day so I have plenty of time to read and post on here.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss. You are so right to not succumb to the drink - it really won't help.

My way of keeping sober is:

,,,AA and the 12-step programme (learning different ways to deal with life and surrounding myself with lovely people who understand me and I understand them)

...exercise (I feel guilty writing that as my routine slipped last week and I didn't make it there once - back to it this week though. I do fun classes with loud music and a shouty instructor to keep pushing me)

... Reading and posting on here

... Remembering some of the shameful s**t that I said / did while drunk

... Re-reading Monkey on my Shoulder sometimes helps as well if I think I might be heading for a triggering environment or situation that can't be avoided (available from Amazon dirt cheap)

I have not yet had to deal with the loss of a loved one sober, so can't comment too much on that really, but I'm betting that you will be better equipped to get through the grieving process now than when you were drinking.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'll go to a meeting and if I meet people like you it will make me a better person.
That's great - hope you meet some lovely people.

Something someone said at the meeting I went to on Friday, which I've also found to be true is that meetings are a bit like bars or pubs in that they all have their own atmosphere and although they are run to a formula they can turn out quite different (a bit like the cakes i make not ever looking or tasting like my mums, even though we follow the same recipe). It's worth trying some different ones in your area as the first you go to won't necessarily be the best for you. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I keep myself sober both in terms of not drinking alcohol and emotionally sober by giving myself very kind but firm good self care every day.

I eat well with regular meal times to keep my blood sugar in balance, exercise, rest, work my program, do hobbies I enjoy, keep hydrated, stay away from toxic people and situations, reach out to my trusted friend at times of concern plus a lot more.

I find this keeps me on track in dealing with the ups and downs of life.