Notices

Weed

Old 04-24-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Weed

I know this isn't the right place to be posting, so please don't get mad at me or lock this thread. The marijuana addiction section of the forums is pretty barren and does not seem to be a place I'd get a response in if I posted.

With that said, I wanted to know if anyone else in the alcoholism forum has or has had a problem with marijuana. I know I am addicted since I smoke every day and cannot seem to stop. I suffer from physical and mental withdrawal symptoms and they persist for weeks if I do not smoke. The longest I've gone without pot was about 2 months and by that time I had gotten completely used to not smoking and was starting to feel naturally happy and content with giving up cannabis. But then I got a new connection to weed and just started smoking again.

I have been a daily smoker for many years. I have smoked longer than I've been drinking, but pot is insidious and did not cause any real problems in my life the way drinking did, other than be a financial burden due to its cost. But now I really want to quit again and I am having the same problems as before. Withdrawal is hell, and for anyone that hasn't experienced it they just don't know.

Sorry again for posting this here but I am doing so with good intentions because the people here in alcoholism forums have been very supportive before. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am glad you brought up the topic over here for a quick, and I hope thorough, response.

Marijuana is just another drug and it is, as you say, truly insidious in establishing a foothold in one's life.

I am glad that you want to get clean and emancipated from its grip.

I would consider going to AA or to NA, whichever feels best.

The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking.

If you have that desire, you are a member.

To me, marijuana use frequently leads to the thwarting and compromise of success at all levels of life.

It completely drains many of its users of ambition.

It seems relatively harmless, but it has serious downside life consequences.

Let us know what and how you do with your efforts.

You are smart to try to get clean.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know this isn't the right place to be posting, so please don't get mad at me or lock this thread. The marijuana addiction section of the forums is pretty barren and does not seem to be a place I'd get a response in if I posted.
It's not 'barren'...it's new
I guarantee you would get a response down there.

I'm the mod. I'm there everyday and so are several others.
Give it a go

Weed hit the same parts of me that alcohol did. It offered escape.
I destroyed my life as completely on weed as I ever did on alcohol.

My addictions were intertwined too - if I was drunk I needed to get high and vice versa.

I think quitting weed would be one of the best things you could do Cobalt.

It may even make it easier for you to stay sober.

D
Old 04-25-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

alcohol is pretty blatant as far as noticeable damage. while the herb is relatively safe as an intoxicant, chronic use brings its own set of risks.

when i quit drinking over a year ago i gave up weed too. i had daily use for years. it made sense to me to quit everything and find my "baseline". alcohol is now a strict no-go. I DONT DRINK. i might be open to getting stoned one day, but daily is just not something i want again.

its funny, after a year without cannabis, i really dont want it all that much. before recovery, i felt like i needed it to make every activity "just a little special". -you know, wink.wink. whatever...

i was binge drinking 3+ times a week. however, i suspect that it was this daily smoking that made the last decade of my life just FLY BY! -for real. last 10 years, POOF! i really think that i am having more QUALITY time without it... half of the time i got stoned, i was paranoid an nervous anyway. if the hangovers didnt limit who i could deal with, getting baked sure did. when i get high, there are just certain situations and people that spook me. i can relive that icky feeling just thinking about it.

every time its available, i pass. and i seem to be having just as much fun as everyone else. i suspect im remembering more of it too.

oh yeah, and $$, lets not forget $$.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The few times I used weed, I used it alcoholically. Because of that it was unaffordable compared to booze so I didnt get into it long term.

One thing I know though, it always lead me back to booze, usually in seconds.