Notices

Fear of meeting others....

Old 04-07-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was worried about the same thing and also about being seen going in / out / at AA meetings. This was mostly because of work (I'm a teacher).

In the end I went and spoke to my Head about it. I glossed over the specifics of the drunken escapades that might one day reach her ears: just told her enough so she'd get the gist of my concerns. I explained that I was determined to stay sober and have been getting help from AA and I was worried someone might enjoy drumming up a little drama (as 'well-meaning' parents or even other staff can sometimes do).
She hugged me and cried a bit. She told me she was proud of me and if ANYONE dared approach her to judge me they'd be leaving with a flea in their ear. Since then she's quietly kept a good eye on me I think - she even got me some counselling when I was going through a low patch when the Doctor didn't see the urgency, mostly because I didn't really tell him enough info (prior to starting my Steps work).

In my social life if friends or aquaintences mention incidents I just laugh it off and say 'Yep - thank God I'm sober now!'

Obviously, we're all on our own path, but I think that for me, working the AA 12-steps programme has been a life changer for me as it has helped me deal with so much emotional stuff, as well as helping me to not pick up a drink...
  • my fears and anxieties that have stopped me doing things
  • getting over the debilitating guilt over harms I've done to other people
  • the way I 'am' / 'have been' in relationships and friendships so I can make some changes
  • dealing with anger and resentments that I was spending too much time / energy on

Good luck with your anxieties over this. It will need a degree of acceptance that you can't change some things (ie who you might bump into) but if there are specific people that you are worried about it reaching, maybe it's worth talking to them (depending on how they're likely to respond I suppose), and it's definitely worth having some responses lined up and rehearsing them so you feel as prepared as it's possible to be.

I'm sure that as time since your last drunk increases you will start to feel calmer about this as well.

Take care x
Old 04-07-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sometimes people like to stir the pot so to speak. I have been called out about drunken behaviour by people, very loudly, in front of other people. None of the stuff I did was particularly harmful and it was all at parties with others behaving in a similar way. I find that people who bring this stuff up are the same people who point out if you have gained weight or if you have a pimple. Try not to worry about it xxx
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I know it's mostly paranoia and I wanted your input here to help squash it. I had my last binge last week and I am still nervous about going out in public and possibly seeing someone that recognizes me. Your thoughts and assurances help me deal with this, so thank you. Xo
Old 04-08-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Ill tell you a quick story - 2 years into sobriety, I was hired at a job. One day one of my coworkers (who was retired from another job - a older gentleman) told me who is daughter was...( side note - I had trashed her house in my drinking days and did donuts in my truck on her lawn and the people i invited over to her house had a party that was completely out of control)... But surprisingly, instead of my coworker calling me out for being a drunk (back then) he instead told me who is daughter was and with a caring smile said "she tells me you've calmed down quite a bit."

In other words, the past is the past as long as you are making good in the present. Do not worry so much about what others think. Just keep up with your sobriety and if someone wants to make a issue let them. Because you will know that you are not that person anymore.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Hello Little Kittycat, listen this happen to me a lot, moreso in my earlier days. I would just say, "Well, yes, you know, I have some hard times, is true, and I was bit of a hellcat for a while there, but I get self together lately, so please allow me to apologize if I not remember you name, or if I make anything uncomfortable for you." Never was this met with anything but understanding and encouragements.

I know you feel embarrass, but reality is, if you let go of shame and just be honest and vulnerable, vast majority of peoples will be move to support you.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am a shy introverted guy and fear meetings others, every day.

The doctors diagnosed me with "Social Anxiety".