Notices

Day 8

Old 04-09-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8

I've not had a drink in the last 8 days, and before that I was tapering off anyway (I only had 1 pint on the last day).

I have always found life difficult in general. Often the bad days are hard to cope with since nobody seems to understand, care or help.

And the funny thing is the good days are hard too. Because I want to celebrate! And then I feel I deserve something, for getting through the bad days.

Coping and celebrating, drink is good for both.

I think my work has been a major cause behind my stress and depression, and I am changing jobs soon which I hope will help my sobriety.

I also feel aimless. What am I to do with myself? There are 1000 things that I could do with my life, but there doesn't seem to be any point in any of them.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 8 days Data. Finding out "what to do with ourselves" is really the holy grail of sobriety, eh? The alcohol basically just postponed/deadened us from facing reality, and once we have to face it the good and the bad both can seem scary.

But what's great is that being sober actually opens doors to a whole host of things..you just have to seek them out. Sounds like you are already making a good start by finding a job you enjoy more. Joining a club, a church, volunteering, exercise, taking a walk around town, just about anything can be an adventure. And all of those things will also introduce you to people who's lives dont' revolve around alcohol. ( most of them don't actually )

Spend some time here too, there are plenty of people who understand and care...don't be afraid to ask for help or guidance..I found a lot of it here myself.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

data,

I have always felt that life is hard. sometimes it's less hard, sometimes more, but hard. one thing I know for sure. It's harder with an addiction that is forever jerking us around. I have a friend who is asking, after sobriety, then what. I think the simplest answer is after sobriety -- anything.

If you don't see that meeting any of your own needs has any meaning for you, you can be sure that other people getting some help getting their needs met certainly has meaning for them. And the thing I have found is, doing meaningful things for others just seems to miraculously have meaning for me. really fun had meaning because it's, well, fun. but it's hard to have fun or do anything very meaningful as long as you are struggling with alcohol. I think the rule always applies. Get sober and then take a look around. there's stuff worth doing to do and there's someone worth being to be.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

8 days is fantastic keep up the good work
Old 04-09-2015, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8. I think one of the tough things about sobriety is that a lot of us were drinking to avoid something, or at least, drinking CAUSED us to avoid things. Sobriety is this crazy trip of having to experience life as it really is. Ain't easy. Worth it though. Good luck friend.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AddictGuy View Post
data,
The thing I have found is, doing meaningful things for others just seems to miraculously have meaning for me. really fun had meaning because it's, well, fun. but it's hard to have fun or do anything very meaningful as long as you are struggling with alcohol. I think the rule always applies. Get sober and then take a look around. there's stuff worth doing to do and there's someone worth being to be.
Feeling good about ourself is a great benifit along with being proud.

There is an old saying in the program. “If we don’t like sobriety our misery is refundable.”

Unfortunately too many seem to take the refund.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

8 Days is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!