Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How many hours out of 8 or 9 yrs does a doc study alcoholism?

Notices

Old 01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

My guess it is less than 40.

However there are "Addictionologists" who specialize in it.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I don't know but it stands to reason the psychiatry specialty studies it much more than the strictly physical disciplines. I would imagine they only study it enough to refer to psychiatry or psychological programs.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would imagine they generally study the negative health effects.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I heard on good authority 4 hours in med school. SAD. The medical community, including therapists etc has a dismal record for long term recovery unfortunately.

BE WELL
Old 01-11-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well most doctors i knows see alcoholism not as a disease but often described as a self destructive habit.
but i think in the end, no matter if you view it as a disease or a self destructive habit, it can cause the same damage to your body.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

depends on their specialty. My doctor (he is a DO) is way up on it. I appreciate him so much. I credit AA & him for putting me on the path. Lots of gratitude here
Old 01-11-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Depends on your area of studies. An Orthopedic Doc needs less training on alcoholism than say Nephrologist. But they all have to go through Psy classes to some greater or lesser levels. And of course a Psychiatrist, will have more training.

Your ? is kind of broad, but virtually every healthcare professional has some basic core set knowledge of it.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The first person you go to is the family doctor.
4-8 hrs out of 8 or 9 yrs.
That is sad indeed!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
well most doctors i knows see alcoholism not as a disease but often described as a self destructive habit.
but i think in the end, no matter if you view it as a disease or a self destructive habit, it can cause the same damage to your body.

I wonder if that tune would change if the insurance companies took the same view?

BE WELL
Old 01-12-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
I wonder if that tune would change if the insurance companies took the same view?

BE WELL
with a group policy, like most people at work get, i dont think they care. if a person has a policy with them and they go to the hospital they will pay. but if you buy it on your own,, well then they will hike up your rates every few year to help cover the cost of the medical bills, like auto insurance.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markz View Post
Anyone?
I think that probably depends on how much they drink.
There are alcoholic doctors also.
Fred
Old 01-12-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welp, that's why I take what doc william silkworth has to say on the subject of alcoholism to heart. In his lifetime he talked to over 50,000 alcoholics-45,000 at towns hospital and 6,000 at knickerbocker.
I would estimate 8-12 hours a day of studying.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

you could study it all day long but can they understand it? Its hard to make rational sense out of irrational behavior and I sometimes feel thats what takes place more often then not from alcoholics and non alcoholics.

I had to quit trying to make sense out of my madness there was no sense to be made. I think then I understood this alcoholism stuff a lot better.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The American Medical Association stated in 1956 that, "alcoholism is an illness".

I attend AA meetings with primary care physicians.

Addictionologists is one specialty referenced by Boleo, and psychiatrists spend many hours studying the affect of chemicals on human behavior.

We are not bad trying to get good but sick trying to get well. Thanks for the thread.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have some experience with this question

It is difficult to quantify, because the topic of alcohol and alcoholism is actually woven throughout the medical school curriculum. First, in the preclinical years (so-called basic science years), alcohol is discussed in many courses: GI (a major focus, liver disease and sequelae), Neuro (long term CNS damage from alcohol), Hematology (bone marrow suppression due to alcohol use and also nutritional deficiency), etc. During the clinical years (3rd and 4th years) it is a major topic during psych rotation, along with other types of addiction. Finally, the clinical medical student (and resident) will likely participate in the care of many alcoholics, from the Emergency Department to inpatient Medicine service; the student learns directly and in depth about alcoholism from these patients.

Whatever the actual number, I think it probably should be higher, considering the disease burden associated with alcohol use. However, the amount of material that must be covered in medical school is pretty staggering, and alcohol is not the only topic that deserves greater attention...
Old 01-14-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I have some experience with this question Whatever the actual number, I think it probably should be higher, considering the disease burden associated with alcohol use. However, the amount of material that must be covered in medical school is pretty staggering, and alcohol is not the only topic that deserves greater attention...

Hi. I agree with you in general. It’s shameful that hundreds of thousands of lives are taken and probably many more are so negatively affected by alcoholism per year. Deaths on the highway are bad, lets not forget the peoples lives affected along with the personal physical damage.

A highly regarded therapist in the Boston area, well versed in alcoholism, even goes to AA meetings with patients, admits alcoholics are his #1 failure group as a whole.

VERY SAD!

BE WELL
Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I looked at U.S. Mortality Rates ~2 years ago as part of a very contentious discussion on another Page about Gun Death.

I kinda recall that Heart/Cardiovascular Disease was, by far, the most lethal Killer. Whether this is still true or not, a part of this OP question would ideally acknowledge that Dr. Study Time is directed toward the most pressing Heath Issues. What is numerically the case, and what we here feel is the most pressing case, might differ.

I.e., we all agree that addressing Addiction is very important. Other Health Issues simply may be more important/more pressing. In this statement, I understand there are 'grey area' contributors that might be difficult to accurately and properly attribute to Alcohol. Homicide Deaths in drunken fights, and so on...
Old 01-14-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would beg to differ and that addictions would be the #1 killer, just off the top of my head. It might not say it on the death certificate, but its up there. Its just not socially accepted, normies think its a matter of self will, self control. People are eager to give $ to a cause of cancer, or diabetes, but addictions? No Way Jose!
Old 01-15-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post

I kinda recall that Heart/Cardiovascular Disease was, by far, the most lethal Killer. Whether this is still true or not, a part of this OP question would ideally acknowledge that Dr. Study Time is directed toward the most pressing Heath Issues. What is numerically the case, and what we here feel is the most pressing case, might differ.

I.e., we all agree that addressing Addiction is very important. Other Health Issues simply may be more important/more pressing. In this statement, I understand there are 'grey area' contributors that might be difficult to accurately and properly attribute to Alcohol. Homicide Deaths in drunken fights, and so on...

Hi.

As stated alcoholism is not on the death certificate very often. However I wonder what % of heart related deaths were caused by alcohol. Some years ago I read it as being considerable, MAYBE around 30%.

BE WELL