# 21 (permalink)  

All the best, knock it out of the park
Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

All the best.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Way to go Jennie!!! I got stuck, for quite a while, worrying about questions that may be asked.

I finally got desperate, began applying to all kinds of jobs. Saw one I thought would be a good fit, it said I'd already applied for it? Well, damn.

Thirty minutes later they called me and I absolutely love my job. Let me explain that it's in the health care field....the very field I lost my nursing career due to drugs.

My point is, like you, I'm not the person I was and what I've learned in recovery led me to a good place.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-24-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Fingers crossed!! It'll be a good learning experience whatever the outcome
Old 11-24-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

And not sure my charm alone will win them over

good grief, woman!
i have no idea if you're charming, but i do know you are a lot of other things: smart, empathetic, funny, thoughtful, curious, courageous, hard-working, encouraging ...all things that come through in your posts.
you don't NEED to rely on whatever charm you have.

you have a lot to offer, regardless whether you get the job or not.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
pray for strength

How fabulous, Jennie.

There once was an interview that I was so nervous about because there was a 'gap' of time. I considered and reconsidered how to approach this 'gap' and it never even came up during the interview. The subject matter of the gap is private, Jennie. When I became a Mom...the only material that was relevant to the interview and the position was that "my family is a priority".

Focus on going into that interview and telling them why they want you. They are listening and want to hear why you are the perfect fit.

Make sure to breathe! You are going to totally rock it. I just know it.

Generous of spirit, kindhearted, considerate, balanced, sharp, intelligent, quick-witted - these are a few SJ descriptors that come to mind.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all I needed to hear some of that tonight. I am just going to be myself, and remember that I do have a lot to offer, and I want my strengths to shine through.

I am hesitant to bring up my family, my mom, and all that... but I also think it might let them know where I'm coming from and that it's a driving force behind my choice to continue in this field. My fear is that it might make them uncomfortable, if I mention an alcoholic mom who committed suicide. Growing up in that environment most definitely makes me who I am today, and I consider it a huge strength.

In the brief phone interview, we chatted about my background in psychology as an undergrad, and I also mentioned my plans to apply for grad school. I'd like to work in this position in the meantime. She seemed to understand then why I was applying for it, as my work background shows my lack of experience working in the field.

I'm not wanting this job for the pay (it's dismal), nor am I wanting it for a long-term deal. I need it on my grad school app. Desperately. As I've been out of school for so long. If I don't get this job, I'll probably need to keep searching for another in the field.

Also, I'm going to try and get a research internship somewhere even if it's unpaid.

And it doesn't hurt at all that I've been volunteering at the local women's shelter for over a year now.

Pretty soon I guess I'll be tackling the GRE.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
learning to live

Jennie - I think you are absolutely awesome and it would be their loss if they didn't nab you up quickly.

Good luck!! You got this! Just be yourself!

Thanks for all the advice here whether it be directly or indirectly I always find your post very helpful!!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I am hesitant to bring up my family, my mom, and all that... but I also think it might let them know where I'm coming from and that it's a driving force behind my choice to continue in this field. My fear is that it might make them uncomfortable, if I mention an alcoholic mom who committed suicide. Growing up in that environment most definitely makes me who I am today, and I consider it a huge strength.
Certainly, but in my opinion they don't need to know these details in your interview. I might go as far as saying that you have dealt with mental health issues regarding some members of the family, or better yet, in your living environment, but that would be it. Of course it depends what kind of job, what would be your duties, but I think providing too much personal life detail can actually have the opposite effect even if it fits with the field you would be working in.

You know I am in the addiction field... and we interview people regularly, including applications to grad school and a few different kinds of positions. I am definitely not the only one inspired by personal reasons to work in this field (and psychiatry/neuroscience). It usually turns out in the longer run that most of us have some type of subjectively driven inspiration. I talked with people who, in their interview, started telling us about their families, mental health issues with friends and family, etc. I can tell you that these usually did not have a positive impression even on me(!!) during an interview. It's much more effective to emphasize professional background and experience, creativity (if relevant), and how you envision contributing to the organization's work. It's also good to mention your longer term goals especially if they are not looking for someone "forever" in this position.

If you would like to let them know that you are familiar with the importance of environment in mental health, I would rather talk about some relevant science and some thoughts I have, rather than my personal life experience with it.

Again, all the best, and be yourself maybe without too much detail about the "self" Hope you can have a relatively good rest tonight.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
EndGame

You have a lot of good and, perhaps unfortunately, serious life experience. But you've persevered and come out better for it.

As others have commented, it's probably best to paint some of your more personal experiences in broad strokes and to just be honest about your reasons for making a major life change. If the interviewers show interest in learning more about your experiences, take it as an invitation to be more forthcoming, but don't divulge more than you're comfortable with.

People love to hire people with enthusiasm and interest, and who are looking to better themselves through both experience and education.

If you present yourself tomorrow even half as well as you do here, they'd be crazy not to hire you.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

If you present yourself tomorrow even half as well as you do here, they'd be crazy not to hire you.
EndGameNYC took the words out of my keyboard!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I agree. When you go in be yourself. After all, you wouldn't want them to hire someone else.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've no advice, I"m the worlds worst interviewee. Just sending good thoughts. How'd it go?
Old 11-25-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It's in two hours. Will let y'all know how it goes.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A firm handshake. Eye contact. Thoughtful responses, and a few questions too. Be yourself, Jennie, and that will be plenty good. Everybody else is already taken. Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Wishing you all the best today Jennie!!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Hugely positive vibes percolating from the UK, SJ!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

best wishes SJ,

Just be yourself. Be honest. And go in with the attitude that they need you. Prove it to them.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey Jeannie! How'd it go?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Proud of you SJ!!!

Rock em, baby!!!

FlyN