Notices

Job Interview Tomorrow

Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Seriously, there is no sense in using your physical appearance as the reason you didn't get the job. I agree, this was a practice interview.
Oh, I wasn't Was really just trying to see the humor in the situation and laugh about it.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Jennie,
i've heard a lot of radio shows over the years speaking about research showing repeatedly that we (most of us) make up our mind about someone in the first couple of seconds.
which really means we (most of us) don't even really consider what the person offers or says.
it also means that often, we don't have a chance as an applicant.
and this is on top of what sounds like her/their mind had likely pre-selected someone else.
on a more personal and opinionated note, i consider it plain rude not to shake hands in a professional greeting, and her saying nothing as a formal good-bye is equally rude.

crumbs...would you really want to work there if this is how "they" present?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Last edited by fini; 11-25-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: another double post
Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Last edited by fini; 11-25-2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: double post....what is going on with this ...so many double posts...
Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Nope, no to be honest, Fini, I guess I wouldn't. I told my husband and he said the same as you.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I agree with Fini, the people I work with are an important part of my job, after all I am with them for a third of the day.
I would think of it as practice for the next time.

And I just got black bands on my braces last week....I opted for a change from the regular silver. And I am 50 something!
We need a brace-face smiley!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Mine are the tooth colored ones, Olive. I want them to be as inconspicuous as possible, lol. The ladies who change them out always ask me what color I want... um, invisible ones, please Then we laugh.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Just got back home from volunteering at the women's shelter. They've asked me to do some work next week - direct contact with some of the victims. Phone calls and such. So I'll be going back next Monday after the holidays.

While I was being introduced to a couple of new people today, I was informed that the project coordinator/program director I'd been working with in the past was now gone. The director is also gone!! My heart sank. I was counting on written recommendations from one, if not both, of these two ladies. I am truly worried now. I haven't met their replacements yet, because both were out of the office today. So I am thinking about asking for info on how to contact them. They've known me for over a year now. I had been away a couple of months since the end of the summer, and poof... they're gone. Which seems bizarre to me, because those two women really ran the show around there. The others I've met today don't seem to be go-getters. They seemed much more laid back and informal. I really don't know how to handle this, other than to ask for addresses/phone numbers... or to spend a lot of time with the new director and project coordinator, hoping to get to know them on the same level as the former employees.

What do you all think?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Can you try to find them on LinkedIn or the local phone directory? Facebook? I would think anyone in the Psyche field would be searchable.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

The current staff must have some contact info I would believe? If you worked with these people in the past, I think they are still perfectly valid as references if they are willing. If you need the recommendations now, I think people you worked with for a longer period of time would more likely to be stronger than the new ones, so I would try to find them first.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
The current staff must have some contact info I would believe? If you worked with these people in the past, I think they are still perfectly valid as references if they are willing. If you need the recommendations now, I think people you worked with for a longer period of time would more likely to be stronger than the new ones, so I would try to find them first.

The problem with that is I've been self-employed since 2009. I could ask the president of the company I resigned from, but the industry is as far from Psychology as you can get, lol.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Can you try to find them on LinkedIn or the local phone directory? Facebook? I would think anyone in the Psyche field would be searchable.
I just remembered that I'm connected with one of them on Twitter!!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
The problem with that is I've been self-employed since 2009. I could ask the president of the company I resigned from, but the industry is as far from Psychology as you can get, lol.
I meant these guys you were talking about, the ones that are gone. As for others in a different business, I think they can still be useful if they write good letters about your work performance and ethic in general. I was involved in interviewing candidates for research coordinator / assistant positions, for example, and quite a few worked in other fields, often completely different professions. Sometimes variety in your background is a good thing, depends what the job is looking for. But agree it's best to have at least one person within the field you want to work in if the job is looking for someone with relevant experience.

Maybe you said this earlier I don't remember, but have you considered applying for research assistant or coordinator positions in an academic setting? There are always quite a lot of these types of openings since here in the US these positions are mostly occupied by people who use them similarly to what you want, to get some work experience before applying to grad school. Some of the candidates I encountered did have already some work experience in the relevant field, but quite a few did not, some were straight out of college. And many of the ones I've worked with learned the particular methods they had to use on the new job, from scratch. Often pretty complex methodologies.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Maybe you said this earlier I don't remember, but have you considered applying for research assistant or coordinator positions in an academic setting? There are always quite a lot of these types of openings since here in the US these positions are mostly occupied by people who use them similarly to what you want, to get some work experience before applying to grad school. Some of the candidates I encountered did have already some work experience in the relevant field, but quite a few did not, some were straight out of college. And many of the ones I've worked with learned the particular methods they had to use on the new job, from scratch. Often pretty complex methodologies.
Yes, actually, I've been thinking about this the past few days. Glad you brought it up. I live 15 mins away from a university with a top ranking Psychology department. In fact, I doubt I'd make it in here because my GPA wasn't a 3.7 or higher. But I was thinking last night... and suddenly realized... why not apply for a research assistant position there??
Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I was an assistant to a PhD candidate back in the day when I was an undergrad. I did some research work for her. So, I at least can mention that in the interview. It was over ten years ago, but still...
Old 11-26-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Yes, go for it, apply for a few if there are opportunities and you will see. Also, if you are undecided in the moment about the specific type of Psychology program you would like to get into later, maybe try research coordinator rather than assistant. Although it depends on the area you would be working on (eg. clinical psychology or neuro), the coordinators often have contact with human patients or study subjects. But it's also typically involves more administration.

Yes definitely mention that old experience. I would probably put it on my CV as well under "experience".
Old 11-26-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I had contact with the human patients when I was helping the PhD student before. We were studying phobias and were using simulated MRIs to study claustrophobia, and the stress response, etc. So I actually conducted interviews for her. But yeah, there was also a lot of admin type work as well.

I'll go take a look right now at the Psych dept website and see if I can find any research positions. I'd even be willing to volunteer just for the experience and connections. I might make a phone call.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

If you don't find open advertised jobs, you can also send your CV and interests to a particular faculty member, and ask to circulate it within the institution. I always get lots of emails about people looking for research assistant / coordinator positions, they put them on departmental email lists.

If you want to have some experience in a particular field but can't find the relevant job, you can also contact anyone who's doing research in that field and say you would like to volunteer for a while. We always have lots of such people who are college students, during the summer. Great because many of them are very good and useful and cost nothing OK now just saw you mention this in your latest post.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Great info, thanks Haennie!
Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

When I started reading this post, Jennie, I was hoping, of course, that you would get the position.

But, after reading about your interview experience, I don't think I would want to work in that kind of environment.

I agree with Fini that shaking hands in a work setting is a minimal benchmark of professionalism.

Personally, I think that applying for a job is one of the noblest things a person can do, and you did it.

It seems from your post-interview assessment that you have an indomitable spirit when it comes to continuing to press forward until you land the right job.

Where I live (part of the time, at least), one of the most successful business leaders in the community started out picking cotton, then he went to law school, and then he went bankrupt twice trying to start the business which would one day make him close to being a billionaire.

He kept trying and viewed setbacks along the way as learning experiences.

I admire him much less for his ultimate success than I do for his complete refusal to quit.

Keep up the hard work and keep us posted.