Notices

Lots of triggers this weekend

Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lots of triggers this weekend

Thread title says it all. Any thoughts, prayers, ideas, etc are appreciated. Dealing with almost worst cravings now than I've dealt with since I quit alcohol in July.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am having similar urges this weekend and have just been reading SR from my phone. D posted this the other day in the October newcomers group which I am a member of. She actually post a link to CarolDs tops for craving...which lead me to this.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

I think it's pretty interesting. I am going to start to count how long my cravings last. Hopefully they will decrease.

If you want a prayer...here is a good one that I read...something like... I am going to try to be the person my dog thinks I am. I don't have a dog now but used too. When I read that prayer it made me smile because no matter what kind of day you have they love you unconditionally. Isn't that what we all want?

Stay strong. You can make it thru the weekend!!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep on SR. Posting and reading is a great thing to do. Reach out to others on here who are struggling. As you reach out to help them, you find a resolve within yourself. Also, there is a weekender thread that is about everything that has to do with weekends. It is here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-10-12-a.html Come join the conversation. Lots of experience and fun. Also, just for the record, Dee is a "he"
Old 10-11-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope the weekend is going OK.
All I can say its OK to have urges and cravings. We accept them and just choose not to act on them.
The easiest way is to just ride the wave, let it go without judgement and resistance.
I also find exercise to be effective every time I get a HALT moment (Hungry Angry Lonely Tired) and that little niggle starts. A walk, run or workout does wonders.
Don't sweat it. It will pass I guarantee it will, if you let it. 6 months mark was tough for me too.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

How's it going CScott?

D
Old 10-12-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey! Thanks for all the advice and concerns. I was able to cope with the emotions and everything. It's good to know there's a resource like SR to be able to turn to for support. Definitely had some HALT moments this weekend, but I was able to resist following those cravings and urges and not drink. Actually, had a friend tell me his own recent struggles with alcohol, which I didn't know about since I hadn't talk to him in a while. He was the first person I really told in my personal life about my own struggles. I also came to peace with a lot of other personal struggles that probably contributed to my drinking in the past, so overall difficult but productive weekend. I for sure exercised by "sobriety muscle."

Again, it was really comforting to know there were people here. It really does make all the difference in the world.