Notices

The monster is coming!

Old 09-28-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Scott is correct..No one cares if we drink. only we cared. YOu can simply say you are tired or have a cold..grab a book and hit the bed. I'd think this was a dream vacation actually. MY kids would have a bunch of other people to monitor them, and I'd relax for a few days.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Matt M

I've got a similar thing coming up, my cousin's wedding anniversary which he's holding in a local pub.
I've decided not to go. The SMART group and the alcohol nurses I spoke to all advised it'd be best to steer clear of that kind of situation for a while.
I'm on day 16 now and I'm determined not to screw up this time.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Most people really don't care one way or the other if you are drinking or not. As alcoholics we tend to vastly over-estimate that and think that others will care about our drinking habits. In reality, It's really just our addiction obsessing over it, others will most likely not even notice.

Using "no thank you" when being offered a drink will generally suffice in almost every instance. And if anyone does question why, just say that you'd prefer something else. It's really just that simple.

Remember that you are going to this event for your kids - spend your time with them and their activities, which don't involve drinking anyway.
I think the culture must be very different in the US, because unfortunately here in the UK people do notice when you're not drinking and some people actually try and pressure you to drink in certain situations. Maybe I need to move to Wisconsin!