Notices

A Road Less Traveled - One Year Today

Old 08-27-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
quat

JD awesome, congrats , wishing you well on the orbits to come
Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congrats, JD! I also love that poem by Robert Frost. Thank you so much for an insightful and inspiring post. We may not always agree but I enjoy your perspective.

Hope you have a great day and do something nice for yourself to celebrate! xo
Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congratulations, and great work! You are one of the voices who drew me to SR which I read for about 3 months before I joined. Not even knowing it, you and others here helped break down my own cynicism regarding recovery and helped me to realize that sobriety should be about recovery and not just abstaining. I've been learning and growing ever since. Thank you and well done!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Seriously amazing get in !!!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year! Your post described a profound year -- insightful, compelling, healing, intense. Thank you for all the inspiration!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats JD!!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a year JD, that's a great accomplishment. The title to your thread reminded me of a great book I read called The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck, a book I highly recommend for anyone looking for a fulfilled existence.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratz JD!..that is something else..not worthy.

Honda Fireblade in the future anytime soon!?

just joking
Old 08-28-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Well done, jdooner. A year is an important milestone.

I can truly identify with you when you speak of synchronicities.
Your quote from "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost and your experience with your car radio reminds me of an important incident in my early sobriety.

Forgive me. I do not wish to hijack your thread, but I feel that I must share this:

As the oldest grandson I was asked to read out "The Road Not Taken" at my alcoholic grandfathers funeral.
It was his favourite poem by his favourite author.
I was in my early twenties.
Perhaps doing that reading at his funeral is why I have since (mis?)understood that poem to be a lament. It is, after all, called: The Road Not Taken.

In my late forties, less than a year sober, I was driving I don't remember where.
But I do remember that I was depressed and had a serious case of poor-me.
Why am I an alcoholic?
My thoughts turned to Grandpa.
Despite his romance with bourbon he was a lovely man -- like a father to me.
Then I thought of that poem for the first time in ages. And I began to cry.
Meanwhile, unnoticed by me in my melancholia, "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin had come on the radio.
As I began to cry for all the roads that I had not taken and anything else that I could possibly cram into my self-pity-pot, the lyrics of that song rang out as clear as a bell . . .
even though I had not been listening a moment before.
And I began to laugh.
That's why I repeat those lyrics at the bottom of all of my posts here.
For me, the lyrics of Robert Plant act as a counterpoint to that most beautiful poem by Robert Frost.

Coincedences such as these -- whatever you call them, whether you believe in a higher power or not, whether you have a scientific explanation or not -- are more than happenstance in my experience.

“Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.”

― Emma Bull

Thank you jdooner for your open and honest share. Keep up the good work.

dox
Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
Congratz JD!..that is something else..not worthy.

Honda Fireblade in the future anytime soon!?

just joking
When I was twenty I had a CBR900RR. I loved the bike. It was the only possession I had other than my mountain bike and many pairs of skis. I had lost my license due to being a habitual offender for speeding. Then there was this big party I had to attend. So if figured I would ride to it, what are the chances I would get pulled over. Well, that led to a very high speed chase with a several cops and a helicopter. I somehow managed to get away...one of the instances my journey could look very different had I not. I vowed to sell that bike and never buy another. That was twenty years ago.

Later in life I bought a formula race team and drove one of my cars. A much safer and more respectable way to achieve a similar need for speed. I follow speed limits now.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dox View Post
Well done, jdooner. A year is an important milestone.

I can truly identify with you when you speak of synchronicities.
Your quote from "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost and your experience with your car radio reminds me of an important incident in my early sobriety.

Forgive me. I do not wish to hijack your thread, but I feel that I must share this:

As the oldest grandson I was asked to read out "The Road Not Taken" at my alcoholic grandfathers funeral.
It was his favourite poem by his favourite author.
I was in my early twenties.
Perhaps doing that reading at his funeral is why I have since (mis?)understood that poem to be a lament. It is, after all, called: The Road Not Taken.

In my late forties, less than a year sober, I was driving I don't remember where.
But I do remember that I was depressed and had a serious case of poor-me.
Why am I an alcoholic?
My thoughts turned to Grandpa.
Despite his romance with bourbon he was a lovely man -- like a father to me.
Then I thought of that poem for the first time in ages. And I began to cry.
Meanwhile, unnoticed by me in my melancholia, "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin had come on the radio.
As I began to cry for all the roads that I had not taken and anything else that I could possibly cram into my self-pity-pot, the lyrics of that song rang out as clear as a bell . . .
even though I had not been listening a moment before.
And I began to laugh.
That's why I repeat those lyrics at the bottom of all of my posts here.
For me, the lyrics of Robert Plant act as a counterpoint to that most beautiful poem by Robert Frost.

Coincedences such as these -- whatever you call them, whether you believe in a higher power or not, whether you have a scientific explanation or not -- are more than happenstance in my experience.

“Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.”

― Emma Bull

Thank you jdooner for your open and honest share. Keep up the good work.

dox
Dox, no hijack. When I was writing for some reason that poem and the Grateful Dead's Ripple both came to me. I chose Frost's poem because most don't take the road we are taking. However, Robert Hunter's lyrics more appropriately describe my experience.

During the end if my addiction, I got away from my rock roots and moved into EDM and making my own music on the computer using Ableton software. My shtick was taking 80s lyrics and vocals to modern club music. Looking back it was a way to keep my club highs going and was more about the drugs. I actually have a hard time listening to some of my own music now. Funny how our tastes change.

Some of the greatest poets such as Dylan, Garefunkel, Hunter, Gilmour, and many others were our song writers. Today I see this talent in Sia, Dave Mathews, Lana Del Rey and some others.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=jdooner;4864661]When I was twenty I had a CBR900RR. I loved the bike. It was the only possession I had other than my mountain bike and many pairs of skis. I had lost my license due to being a habitual offender for speeding. Then there was this big party I had to attend. So if figured I would ride to it, what are the chances I would get pulled over. Well, that led to a very high speed chase with a several cops and a helicopter. I somehow managed to get away...one of the instances my journey could look very different had I not. I vowed to sell that bike and never buy another. That was twenty years ago.

Later in life I bought a formula race team and drove one of my cars. A much safer and more respectable way to achieve a similar need for speed. I follow speed limits now.[/QUOT

Wow..Helicopter? that's nuts..

Yeah I know you had a Fireblade.

I related to allot of your posts when I first came to SR and remember you mentioning it. The Black/Grey Fireblade with a Yoshi exhaust is what inspired me to buy my first bike.. post highschool.

Settled for a regular CBR 600 due to the HUGE price difference with insurance between the 600 and 900.

Guess I share this short story..

After a night of heavy drinking with friends, for some drunken reason I refused to stay the night at a buddy's cabin. My friend tried to looked out for me and took away my helmet to prevent me from riding home.

That didn't stop me..I rode home anyway. Here in Canada im not even sure what cops woulda done if they caught me because its just so incredibly stupid.

I only remembering bits and pieces of the night so its was hard to describe how ******** I felt when I woke up in the morning. One thing forsure is if cops woulda tried to pull me over..I wouldn't have stopped for them. guaranteed.

Scary stuff. I no longer ride anymore either..
Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congratulations, jdooner. Thanks for a great post.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

JD Congratulations on one year. Way to go. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I like the big drop into a couloir as a transforming moment! Have done a few similar things myself and the adrenaline and sense of achievement, far out ways any thrill booze can provide for sure.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

what a year!
congratulations.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

congrats jd, great post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1yrcoin.jpg (3.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MaxxPower;4864916]
Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
When I was twenty I had a CBR900RR. I loved the bike. It was the only possession I had other than my mountain bike and many pairs of skis. I had lost my license due to being a habitual offender for speeding. Then there was this big party I had to attend. So if figured I would ride to it, what are the chances I would get pulled over. Well, that led to a very high speed chase with a several cops and a helicopter. I somehow managed to get away...one of the instances my journey could look very different had I not. I vowed to sell that bike and never buy another. That was twenty years ago.

Later in life I bought a formula race team and drove one of my cars. A much safer and more respectable way to achieve a similar need for speed. I follow speed limits now.[/QUOT

Wow..Helicopter? that's nuts..

Yeah I know you had a Fireblade.

I related to allot of your posts when I first came to SR and remember you mentioning it. The Black/Grey Fireblade with a Yoshi exhaust is what inspired me to buy my first bike.. post highschool.

Settled for a regular CBR 600 due to the HUGE price difference with insurance between the 600 and 900.

Guess I share this short story..

After a night of heavy drinking with friends, for some drunken reason I refused to stay the night at a buddy's cabin. My friend tried to looked out for me and took away my helmet to prevent me from riding home.

That didn't stop me..I rode home anyway. Here in Canada im not even sure what cops woulda done if they caught me because its just so incredibly stupid.

I only remembering bits and pieces of the night so its was hard to describe how ******** I felt when I woke up in the morning. One thing forsure is if cops woulda tried to pull me over..I wouldn't have stopped for them. guaranteed.

Scary stuff. I no longer ride anymore either..
I did not outrun the helicopter. They brought it out with infrared to try and locate me. I was hiding out in an abandon gravel pit watching the chopper go back and forth over the highway. I prayed quite a bit during those lonely moments. I never rode while drinking though. Kept me sober actually. I am glad you were safe - 600 or 900 does not make a difference when you go down. Keep up the good work man.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on a year Jdooner, a wonderful milestone. Thanks for all of your involvement at SR too, your contributions are always thought provoking and supportive.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

JD….a huge shout out on your one year!!!

Your raw honesty and never-ending contemplation has been consistent. You were truthful even when it left you feeling vulnerable. There is a strength in that type of gesture. I think the wisest people are those who say "I don't know" sometimes.

Selfishly you have been someone that I have used to find a balance. You have certainly not been lazy this year. You dug your heels in and used that tenacity and perseverance to carve out your own path. I admire the fact that you kept digging and if something didn't fit or feel right you weren't afraid to examine a different angle. I have a feeling that people such as you will help more people want to seek help. My feelings on ego might differ from some, I don't believe you need to toss out everything to find sobriety. I think we need to be scrupulous about discerning the parts of ourselves that are amazing, and not afraid to begin to edit out those parts that fail us. You were willing to want to change some things but it is your fluidness and flexibility that impressed me most. I think you are a learner, and I think you will always be. You rolled up your sleeves and got to work.

If I was a young guy who was desperate to find someone to help guide them, I think they (or anyone) would be lucky to cross your path. I feel privileged to be your friend. Congratulations JD!

(Sorry I am a day late, I am away as you know! )