Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Help with meds given to help with withdrawal and still drinking

Notices

Old 08-21-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Short story: age 47, never had alcohol issues before. Started drinking heavily about a year ago and when I stopped recently is when I learned I was dependent. Went from liquor to only beer to try to wean. After about a week of attempting to wean with beer decided to go to doctor. She gave me Librium 2 to take one every 6 hours and also clonidine .1mg to take three times a day. However, she said to me that If I had someone with me she'd tell me to stop drinking altogether but that since I'll be alone to limit my drinking to maybe 1/2 a beer every 4-6 hours instead of every 2 hours.
Isn't drinking while taking anti-drinking meds dangerous? The whole idea was to not drink at all. i don't like beer. Don't want to drink. what if I do what she said and it doesn't work?

Anyone else taken these meds while trying to stop drinking?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Mixing benzos with alcohol is very dangerous. It made me do irrational things and believe they were acceptable.

Doesn't it say on the bottle not to drink?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum sheryl!!

Tapering never seemed to work for me, it had to be all or nothing to get me to the other side and finally achieving Sobriety!!

If your goal is to be Sober, then go for it, ride out the withdrawals with the meds and push forward with not drinking!!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Get a new doc.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tapering wasn't working which is why after a week I went to doctor. Was soooo embarresing. The meds don't say not to drink. Just seemed odd that I've read so much on the internet about getting meds to help with those nasty shakes then to have a doc say take the meds and still drink just not as much. She talked about the amout i've been drinking and seizures and etc. Guess I'll start the meds tonight and see what happens without drinking. If I'm not shaking it SHOULD be easy. It's not like I want to drink or crave drinking. Just did it for so long and now only having beer to avoid shakes. She just scared me I suppose
Old 08-21-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

edited - cool.

take care!

Last edited by Shining~Again; 08-21-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: saw there was no misunderstanding.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going to do the meds and not drink. I'm not confused on what she said. I'm positive on what she told me. But she was a nurse practitioner, not the doctor. However, In 2 hours I have to pick my 15yr old son up from work and take him to his dads. I'm tossed on having another 1/2 beer to avoid shakes before I go or taking meds that she says will make me very sleepy. Oh, god I need sleep! lol

I'm thinking do the 1/2 beer to get him taken care of, come home, take the meds and then nod out for HOPEFULLY the night. So sick of waking up every few hours shaking then drink beer to get back to sleep
Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with you. Take the meds, they say not to drink right on the prescriptions.

Call the doc if you are that worried. Don't drink and drive.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

In my experience, I was most likely to lose control of the ability to stay awake if I drank. The benzos affected me less than alcohol--unless I MIXED them with alcohol.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not planning on mixing. The whole idea was to go to a doctor, expose my pitiful self and get meds to make me ok with not drinking. If I don't sleep on the meds guess it doesn't matter cause I'm not sleeping now anyhow. I suppose getting use to not drinking enough to "pass out" every night will take time. Don't care. I just want this over with at whatever cost. I've also put on almost 8 pounds over the last 6 months or so and I know it's the alcohol. I look like a skinny chick who's pregnant. Hate it.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sheryl, sorry to be short. Welcome! If tapering was working (it does but takes iron will) I find it hard to understand your doc giving a benzo to boot. Benzo's are generally given to replace alcohol and lessen withdrawal (the brain accepts them as a close substitute). Doing both can be disastrous. I agree that if the goal is quitting and tapering isn't do-able then try to go with just the Librium. I did taper from alcohol with alcohol because I always drank on benzo's or drank when the pills were gone. Many have had success with them as long as they taper off the pills--some don't. Best wishes on your success!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

"Mixing" doesn't mean just taking them and drinking at the same time. I would consider within 24 hours as mixing.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's just crazy! I been through detox nine times and have never heard of mixing alcohol with benzos! Just take the meds and sweat it out!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tapering wasn't working. I TOLD her that. Been trying for a week now and according to the internet should only take a few days. But If anyone is being "short" here it's me. Just frustrated I suppose. My plan is to start the meds tonight after I deal with my son. NO drinking. If I'm taking these meds and still shaking like I do when not drinking then there's an issue and I'll go to a different doctor tomorrow. I don't wanna drink. I just don't wanna shake and am tired of waking up drenched in sweat and shaking until I drink to go back to sleep. Again, I just want it over with.

It's 3:30, gonna take a shower and try to erase the sick freakin "beer" smell coming from my pours. Go get my boy and take him to his dads. Then come home, force food down (again) and will probably check back here then take the meds and hope to sleep good. I will definately log back on tomorrow morning to either report a good night of not drinking and being on meds or be really pissy cause I'm frustrated. If the meds that she gave me will help with the shakes I should be ok. Never had either one of those drugs before (see my first post on this thread) She also gave me zofran for nausea. Wish me luck tonight. Thanks to all!!!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hi Sheryl. My experience with Librium is limited. I did have it for detox. I think it was like 50mgs. It knocked me out. I believe the Librium comes in different dosages. Please,don't take it and drive. And don't drink drive either. especially with your most precious cargo; your child!

I really question the NP's experience with detox and mixing alcohol with benzos. I think it would be best to discuss with a MD who knows about detoxing.

Welcome to SR! It's a great supportive place to help you along your path of sobriety!

Love from Lenina
Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The meds she gave you should help your symptoms. You do not need to drink with them. In fact, you shouldn't. Hope you're feeling better tomorrow! xo
Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've detoxed with Librium several times and my doctor advises against drinking on them. They work well with anxiety control and sleep while you detox. The prescribed dosages should taper down each day until your script is done. This way of detoxing is much safer than tapering because of risk of seizure if you taper to aggressively. I can PM you and advise you on the dosages I tapered down from last time.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have to do my withdrawals as an inpatient as I get too sick to actually stick with it at home..... the anxiety, shakes, and sweats, which isn't that bad and I still cant do it at home. Good luck. As for me tapering that would be a joke..... Hope you doing well :-)
Old 08-22-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I came home yesterday and in the evening took first dose of meds. Slept like a log all night. Woke up about 5am dying of thirst so guzzled a bottle of water and went right back to sleep. Got up about an hour ago (7ish) with shakes. Took second dose of meds and shakes are gone. I'm feeling tired and sluggish but NO SHAKES!! can't begin to say how good it feels to not have to drink that nasty beer to get rid of the shakes. I'm so so happy!!!

@BBQBOY, I was not given any taper schedule by this woman. I was given Librium 25mg to take "every 6 hours as needed" and also Clonidine .1mg to take "three times a day". She gave me a quanity of 30 each with no refills. She said one would help with the shakes and the other with the heart rate and anxiety. My blood pressure there yesterday was 163/102 and heart rate was 121. Both a little high.
I'll assume I'm not lowering my dosage of these for probaly 2 days or so but would like to hear how you did it. (or anyone else). Thanks!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wonder why I don't have an edit button for my posts....anyhow, correction. I'm still feeling shaky inside but not visibly shaking and can actually get my water bottle to my mouth without feeling like I have Parkinsons. Is it normal to still feel a little shaky while on these meds? I was fine last night and when I woke up about 5 this morning. That or since it wasn't so bad I didn't notice it. Since she was such an airhead, hope she has my dosage on this stuff done correctly.

fyi last drink was about 7pm yesterday (12 hours ago) . Took first meds about 8:30ish.