Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Help with meds given to help with withdrawal and still drinking

Notices

Help with meds given to help with withdrawal and still drinking

Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Yeah, that's bad advice, IMO. Can't imagine any doctor advising someone with a drinking problem to drink at all while taking a benzo. If you could control your drinking, you wouldn't have needed help quitting in the first place! I was also prescribed Librium but I quit drinking altogether before taking it and certainly didn't drink while taking it. It worked great and I had none of the usual withdrawal symptoms. I was also prescribed Clonidine for high bp.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Okay, I've been reading tons of posts and doing ALOT of research on the internet. From what people say the Librium gets rid of the shakes and nastyness of withdrawal. I don't read people saying it keeps the shakes at bay or keeps them managable. Now I'm wondering if I needed a higher mg or take more than 3x/day.

Before I call her back or waste monies going to a different doctor, I'd really like for anyone here who used this medication to let me know what their dosage was or how it was prescribed.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well heck, why is it sometimes I log on and have an edit button for my last post and other times I don't. I messed up. My other pills say take 3x/day the Libriium is every 6 hours. I took another of the other ones this morning by mistake instead of the Librium.

derrrr and duhhh! Would still like to know if Librium keeps stuff at bay or takes shakes away altogether for others.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Here was my last schedule for the Librium taper. 25 mg. 4 x day for 2 days...then 25 mg. 3 x day for 2 days...then 25 mg. 2 x day for 2 days...then 25 mg. 1 x day for 2 days. That's it, I had 20 pills. With 30 pills you might want to taper a little longer if you feel you need it. This came right from my doctor, so I hope I'm not breaking the no medical advise rule. Surprised your doctor didn't give you a taper schedule, you don't want to go cold turkey on this drug. Take care, and drink plenty of fluids it helps.