Notices

Back in the rut

Old 07-14-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back in the rut

I find myself feeling like I've been ten rounds with Tyson, sweating, smelling of stale booze from Saturday's session and really just asking for help.

Been a long time member, sporadic poster, periods of sobriety mixed with binges, some long, some short.

Basically I need to quit drinking full stop, moderation didn't work, it needs to stop.

I'm going to start working the steps and actively trying to beat this instead of just hoping it's beat. Meetings you ask? Not for me personally, maybe that's why I struggle, I don't know. I am going to start going to my local church, try and find some strength and guidance there.

Thanks for reading and hope you all have a nice day/night depending on where you live, I can never tell ha ha
Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bluebird,

I had 13 days of sobriety and messed up on Friday and had a drink after a funeral. I feel bad for all the people that supported me but I figure I can get back to my sober life and make it up to them. I'm now going to do it all again but this time I'm going to make it work.
I find meetings difficult and this forum reminds me that we are not alone and other people are fighting too.
Best of luck
Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi , Bluebird, I found that once I'd got through the worst and got into the time in days and weeks the big difference with all the other times was rather than waiting for the treat was, the decision and then waiting for real sober pleasures that although subtle to start of with do overpower the drinking pleasure.
Waiting for not drinking to turn into sobriety and recognising it.
Good luck with the freedom tussle hope sleep comes soon.
Bore da?
John.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Surrender for me me was when I joined the winning side. I had to stop fighting and start doing what was recommended by professionals and people with long term sobriety whether I agreed with it or not.

The mind that created the problem is unlikely to have solutions to fix it
Old 07-14-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I toyed with the idea of moderation too.
But it's not for me.
What I tell myself is, "my life is way better when I don't drink". And it's absolutely true.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. When we surrender to some well known facts about getting/staying sober things, us, usually get better. Over many years I and others needed to get honest with ourselves about our drinking and accept the fact that we cannot drink in safety. That’s the start.
We then need to establish a plan and stick to it much longer than we want to by remembering what the results of our drinking were. I personally needed the path AA took me tho others now take other paths that work for them for a period of time.
We need to remember that alcohol is powerful, cunning and insidious which trap many who don’t practice their path of recovery.

BE WELL
Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by M88RHM View Post
Hi Bluebird,

I had 13 days of sobriety and messed up on Friday and had a drink after a funeral. I feel bad for all the people that supported me but I figure I can get back to my sober life and make it up to them. I'm now going to do it all again but this time I'm going to make it work.
I find meetings difficult and this forum reminds me that we are not alone and other people are fighting too.
Best of luck
Thank you and good luck :-)
Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Hi , Bluebird, I found that once I'd got through the worst and got into the time in days and weeks the big difference with all the other times was rather than waiting for the treat was, the decision and then waiting for real sober pleasures that although subtle to start of with do overpower the drinking pleasure.
Waiting for not drinking to turn into sobriety and recognising it.
Good luck with the freedom tussle hope sleep comes soon.
Bore da?
John.
Thank you and I'm embarrassed to say my Welsh isn't good enough to think of a good enough reply to bore da ha ha
Old 07-14-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Surrender for me me was when I joined the winning side. I had to stop fighting and start doing what was recommended by professionals and people with long term sobriety whether I agreed with it or not.

The mind that created the problem is unlikely to have solutions to fix it
Good way of putting it, thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
I toyed with the idea of moderation too.
But it's not for me.
What I tell myself is, "my life is way better when I don't drink". And it's absolutely true.
Oh yes, moderation is a lie
Old 07-14-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi. When we surrender to some well known facts about getting/staying sober things, us, usually get better. Over many years I and others needed to get honest with ourselves about our drinking and accept the fact that we cannot drink in safety. That’s the start.
We then need to establish a plan and stick to it much longer than we want to by remembering what the results of our drinking were. I personally needed the path AA took me tho others now take other paths that work for them for a period of time.
We need to remember that alcohol is powerful, cunning and insidious which trap many who don’t practice their path of recovery.

BE WELL
Great post, thank you
Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good for giving it another go.

Originally Posted by Bluebird1927 View Post
I'm going to start working the steps and actively trying to beat this instead of just hoping it's beat. Meetings you ask? Not for me personally, maybe that's why I struggle, I don't know.
Yes, I think that's why you struggle. Thinking you can lick this on your own. Lot of people have found success outside of AA. You don't seem to be that person.

Working the steps without a sponsor? That's like teaching yourself karate in your bedroom.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Bluebird, have you ever looked into Rational Recovery and AVRT? Check out the stickys in Secular Connections:

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Moderation never worked for me either. Maybe a couple days, a couple weeks. It would be like riding an escalator. Escalator that ended on a cliff. The realization that abstinence was my only option provided me clarity that ive never could have imagined.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do this Bluebird!!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Good for giving it another go.

Yes, I think that's why you struggle. Thinking you can lick this on your own. Lot of people have found success outside of AA. You don't seem to be that person.

Working the steps without a sponsor? That's like teaching yourself karate in your bedroom.
I've got people who are fully aware of my plight and act like sponsors thankfully. I do agree though
Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonymblue View Post
Moderation never worked for me either. Maybe a couple days, a couple weeks. It would be like riding an escalator. Escalator that ended on a cliff. The realization that abstinence was my only option provided me clarity that ive never could have imagined.
Thank you. It is cut and dry isn't it, I can't drink I won't drink
Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
You can do this Bluebird!!
Thanks you :-)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Still feeling bad today :/ Going to try the gym later, see how that goes, try to get some endorphins flowing. This REALLY has to be the last time I say all this :/
Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yup you chose to drink, no one put a gun to your mouth and said drink or use. What do you think the problem is? Family, Police, Authority Figures, Things just aint going your way, you can continue to blame everyone else, but yourself. There is freedom from alcohol, how bad do you want it?