Notices

Back in the rut

Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunnyMe View Post
Congratulations on one week, Bluebird!

And it's awesome that you're going to church! It does help, at least in my experience. For me, I wasn't able to maintain emotional sobriety on church alone. I had to have AA.

It's ok not to be a people person in AA, by the way. We have a wonderful tradition of take what you want and leave the rest behind. I've sponsored introverts and they do just fine. Their program looks a little different than some others', but that's ok.

Blessings! Enjoy your relaxed Sunday!
Thank you :-) Yeah the church will be a big help.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Good for giving it another go.

Yes, I think that's why you struggle. Thinking you can lick this on your own. Lot of people have found success outside of AA. You don't seem to be that person.

Working the steps without a sponsor? That's like teaching yourself karate in your bedroom.
Actually the Big Book specifically addresses this as a "softer way." IT also addresses the outcome for many who try this.

I understand though, you need to do it your way. I was like that too. Good luck...AA and other programs will be here for you if your way does not work out.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Bluebird, I only use this forum, I don't feel I want to go to AA, it's just not for me.

But the help I got here was enormous and encouraging. I found, though, what the recovery meant, it's as if the booze was hiding the reality of life which I now face, sober. It's amazing how we kid ourselves, or I kidded myself for quite a few years. Though, when not having the booze to fog my brain up I was able to start understanding and dealing with any situations I had to face.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post

Actually the Big Book specifically addresses this as a "softer way." IT also addresses the outcome for many who try this.

I understand though, you need to do it your way. I was like that too. Good luck...AA and other programs will be here for you if your way does not work out.
Thank you, I did it my way, someone should write a song about that ha ha. I'm open to ideas still though and appreciate the input
Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi Bluebird, I only use this forum, I don't feel I want to go to AA, it's just not for me.

But the help I got here was enormous and encouraging. I found, though, what the recovery meant, it's as if the booze was hiding the reality of life which I now face, sober. It's amazing how we kid ourselves, or I kidded myself for quite a few years. Though, when not having the booze to fog my brain up I was able to start understanding and dealing with any situations I had to face.
Thanks, yeah I've hidden alot of things through booze over the years. Time to man up and face them :-)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hey Bluebird

Glad you had a sober Sunday, keep it going, no matter what happens
Keep it fresh, next time the thought of a drink arises, read some of your old posts, stay away from the first drink, take care Of yourself.
Bloss
Old 07-21-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bloss View Post
Hey Bluebird

Glad you had a sober Sunday, keep it going, no matter what happens
Keep it fresh, next time the thought of a drink arises, read some of your old posts, stay away from the first drink, take care Of yourself.
Bloss
Thanks alot Bloss. Feeling more normal by each passing second.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Tuesday over and done with, finding work more bearable. Don't even know how I cope when drinking, I suppose I don't very well looking back.

Feeling much more positive.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I totally get where you're coming from with AA, every meeting I've attended I'm the youngest one there, and there's a lot of talk about God, and a lot of born again Christians, which is great, if you find God and that leads to your recovery,each to their own, I know it's meant to be non denominational and non religious but if you read the big book you'll read that even if you thought you didn't believe in God, if you look deep inside yourself you'll see you believe in a higher power, that never sat easy with me. In saying that I've met a few people at AA who are atheists and it doesn't seem to bother them they just take strength from the recovering alcoholics around them
Old 07-22-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeforsobriety View Post
I totally get where you're coming from with AA, every meeting I've attended I'm the youngest one there, and there's a lot of talk about God, and a lot of born again Christians, which is great, if you find God and that leads to your recovery,each to their own, I know it's meant to be non denominational and non religious but if you read the big book you'll read that even if you thought you didn't believe in God, if you look deep inside yourself you'll see you believe in a higher power, that never sat easy with me. In saying that I've met a few people at AA who are atheists and it doesn't seem to bother them they just take strength from the recovering alcoholics around them
Yeah I understand that as well. I believe in God, always have, not always acted like that, in fact I've rebelled horribly the last twenty years but I still draw strength from my little bit of faith. Each to their own I suppose, got to find our own paths. My problem is the path I've been trying for ages isn't working so a change is needed.