Notices

The First Day (question)

Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The First Day (question)

Not sure if it's just me, but it sure does feel like the first day of not drinking is ALWAYS the hardest. Every day to follow is hard too, but that first day, the initial fighting the cravings off is always so difficult. Anybody else experience that?

I've tried for years and years now to slow it down or quit completely, always with the same outcome. Gulp gulp gulp.

I JUST WANT TODAY!!!! I want to be sober today, all the way through today. I make myself sick.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

Make today your last first. You never have to have another one.

You can do it!

wish you well
Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Linz View Post
...but that first day, the initial fighting the cravings off is always so difficult. Anybody else experience that?
I've not experienced it for a long time. It has been almost four years without a drop since that "first" day of quitting. Which means that you too can get past the first day and on to the second.

You really can, Linz. And you never have to go through the agony and shame of day one again.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey Linz,

Commit to doing something different, positive today. Just today.

Tomorrow is a new day. And tomorrow you can wake up without a hangover and re-commit to doing something different, positive once again.

Alcohol sucks. It has no place in a life committed to positive change. Squeeze it out. Yes. You can do it.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Linz, you can totally do this.
Yes, it's hard. But so what?
Don't choose to give in.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate. I always felt the first day, the initial plunge into sobriety was the hardest part. Stay focused and close to SR. Read. Go to bed early. Once you get through today you'll feel so much better tomorrow mentally and physically you'll want to keep going.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Most things in life worth having are difficult to achieve - sobriety is no different. The first few days were always hell for me, but it's a small price to pay for the eventual reward. Do you have any local support to help you through these days?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all! ScottFromWI - There are plenty of AA meetings around here. I have an 8 month old daughter, and she makes all of these crazy hilarious noises. High pitched screams, farting noises, etc... If I choose to go to an AA meeting, I would have to bring her because during the day, there is no one else to watch her. I know that I wouldn't be able to concentrate, or sit still for long until having to get up and leave. Plus, I don't want to be rude to the people sharing.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Linz, I went to an all women's meeting last night and the girl sitting next to me had a baby. People were going crazy over how cute she was, and she cried! It actually made us feel happy to see a cute little baby. I would bring her, people will understand!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep

Yes, the first day is the hardest in a lot of ways. Don't forget, you're fighting the habit as well as the physical craving... I remember feeling like I was on "autopilot" and it was very strange not to pick up. Just for the next hour, don't pick up. Just for the next hour after that... the next five minutes... gets you to night and you can sleep/wake up refreshed in the morning.

Also I agree- several AA meetings around me (especially women's meetings) are welcoming to children. People understand that a baby is a baby... noises will happen. And even if you can't concentrate, you're somewhere that alcohol is not present, and you're surrounded by sober people. You're safe there.

And check with your local intergroup to see if there are specific child-friendly meetings. We have one nearby that actually provides free childcare. Even if they aren't listed as being child-friendly, if you call your intergroup office they may be able to put you in touch with a woman or two who have the "lowdown" on what meetings are REALLY like, because they have been to them.

Just don't pick up today!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The first is terrible. It's not you, it that part of your brain that thinks it can control you...Well it can't. You control you. Keep going.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucie29 View Post
People were going crazy over how cute she was, and she cried! It actually made us feel happy to see a cute little baby. I would bring her, people will understand!

I beg to differ tho I’ll get beaten up for my opinion. As stated in the quote this is a distraction at meetings. Those of us hearing impaired find it difficult to hear what’s being shared and that’s the reason we are there. Along with the fact they are just as much a distraction to us older than dirt males as the women. Who doesn’t love seeing babies? It’s just a bit much at an AA meeting
At some meetings in your area there may be an area where someone can babysit for awhile or care for it outside the meeting area.

I’ll run and duck now!

BE WELL
Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You only ever have to have one more Day 1 for the rest of your life, the future is on the up from there!!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

First day

I to am experiencing my first day. Wow, lord help me.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know this will sound dumb. I've had several false starts. Maybe its psychological but if I could get past a full 24 hours then the voices in my head would begin to quiet. So when I knew I was going to attempt a quit I would drink twice as much as normal the two days prior. Pass out drunk. After those two days on Day 1, I was soooo hungover and sick they craving was not even there. That usually lasted another couple of days. Once I had 2 or 3 days under my belt I felt stronger and could go weeks and months.

Relapsing....now that's another story. But that's how I got thru Day 1. DOH!