Notices

New to Forum: Day 2 sober

Old 07-17-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I always eaten pretty healthy. As ridiculous as it may sound, I've been doing basically the paleo diet for the last year and a half. I've lost 54 lbs in 2 years (270 to 216, 6'3"). The only thing that slowed me down was my thirst for vodka/whiskey on a regular basis. So I'd see ups and downs with my weight.

It was usually only the days I binged that I didn't eat much - I got all my calories from the booze. Any day I wasn't drinking I ate very healthy. When drunk I'd order pizza or eat take out. Otherwise, just lean meats, eggs, veggies, fruit, etc. I think that was part of why my come downs haven't been very bad except a couple times. I kept my diet pretty good otherwise so I recovered faster from less intense withdrawls than it seems a lot of people do. But I do notice with each passing day food does seem to taste a little better.

I drink a cup of coffee almost every day, but just to get my day going. Never really liked the taste like some people. But I do love tea. I also drink a lot of coconut water, full of electrolytes and potassium and not all the sugar and crap like Gatorade. Otherwise I just drink water.

English black and green tea are my favorites. I also make hibiscus tea sometimes.

Anyway, day 7 going strong!! Been eating my usual healthy diet since Sunday and the gut bloat from the last binge seems to slowly be fading away. It has been over 100 here the last week so getting good cardio has been reserved for after 9 PM when it cools off.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
Yeah, I plan on becoming a food/coffee/tea aficionado now.

Hey Hawk, you wouldn't happen to be an Iowegian, would you?
Hi JD
Illiwegian--howdy neighbor

The food thing really replaces the visceral pleasure I used to get from drinking.
Do you cook?

That's one of the hobbies I took up again after quitting.
You have great produce and pork in Iowa. . .

Yeah Norcal--I started the paleo diet and Crossfit right after I stopped drinking three years ago and dropped 40 pounds and three sizes.
I have let it creep on again but have restarted at the gym and am going back to Paleo.

I had a short relapse with drinking last summer (tried to "moderate" which doesn't work, by the way) so have been carb-crazy ever since.
Paleo helps so much with alcohol cravings once you get to burning fat instead of carbs.
Cooking is great for Paleo, however, as you can eat lots of meat and veggies, which I love.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ya. Iowa does raise some great stuff.

I've been in Wisconsin for 26 years. Great cheese here!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

One of my best friends is moving to Steven's Point tomorrow.

I used to live in Syracuse NY and have been trying to encourage him about the weather.
He grew up in Florida, spent most of his life in Arizona, and is a little nervous about real winter.

Any tips?

By the way, the cheese is amazing in Wisconsin.
It's like Napa valley--artisan producers can make things as good or better than many
of the European counterparts these days.

And cheese curds. . . don't get me going on those dam cheese curds . . . I just can't stop eating them . . .
Old 07-20-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 10 going strong. Feeling great. Forgot how much energy I have when I don't drink. Tons more productive too. Happy sunday.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Glad things are going so well

Funny how you get in a rhythm with it, isn't it?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am back. Long story short, I stayed sober for several month periods but kept falling off the wagon. Back on day one. Was sober for my last month and a half up until Halloween and slipped. Last night I passed out, pissed myself and woke up 3 hours later feeling absolutely bizzare. I've been sick all day. I fell off the wagon because I stopped going to AA and reading these forums. I scoffed at AA for the last couple years but I realize now what a good support system means.

Also, probably get flack for this cuz I know they tell you stay single for at least a year, but two months ago in what I can only describe as fate, I ran into one of my best friends little sisters, both of us have always liked each other, but never been single at the same time. And the best part is, she doesnt drink. First time I have ever been with someone who was not an alcoholic like me. The entire first two months of our relationship I only drank a couple times and really didnt want to drink. She didn't know I am a recovering alcoholic and I was terrified of losing her if she knew I was. I finally came clean when we decided to drink together and felt so bad about it I admited everything to her about my drinking past and problems, and she wasn't mad. She was relieved with my honesty and wants to help me help myself. We love each other dearly (realized I had never really loved any of my previous gfs) and she told me if never drinking the rest her life to have me healthy and in hers was all she had to do, then she would never drink again either. This is a woman that just turned 21 and didn't even want to drink on her 21st birthday.

I am finally quitting for myself number one, but she is showing me what I never had because I was a drunk and girls like her never wanted a guy like me. The last two months (mostly) sober have been the best two months of my entire life. I want to live for the first time in my life. Cheers, and sorry to those of you that messaged me worried. Cheers from Nor Cal.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hey Norcal!

It's good to see you again. I remember you from a few month ago and the 4runner is for your car, right? Great ride! Good to see you back. I can relate to so much in your story and I was at the same point you are now health wise. I also had some pretty serious liver damage (inflammation) and I believe pancreas problems. Every organ in my body hurt and wasn't working correctly. I was sick all the time and living in a haze.

I can tell that four months out it gets so much better. Know that it gets better and easier. If I can give you any other tips it would be to check in here every day. Try and post/comment on five posts a day to keep yourself focused.

You are young. I'm just a few years older than you. This is the perfect time for both of us to start leading healthy productive lives with no alcohol. Welcome back.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Hey Norcal!

It's good to see you again. I remember you from a few month ago and the 4runner is for your car, right? Great ride! Good to see you back. I can relate to so much in your story and I was at the same point you are now health wise. I also had some pretty serious liver damage (inflammation) and I believe pancreas problems. Every organ in my body hurt and wasn't working correctly. I was sick all the time and living in a haze.

I can tell that four months out it gets so much better. Know that it gets better and easier. If I can give you any other tips it would be to check in here every day. Try and post/comment on five posts a day to keep yourself focused.

You are young. I'm just a few years older than you. This is the perfect time for both of us to start leading healthy productive lives with no alcohol. Welcome back.
Thanks Melinda. And yeah, my Toyota 4runner. And boy is it nice to date a woman that isn't an alcoholic. I always thought girls that didnt drink would be boring, but remembering every moment I spend with her, not having the cops get called for late night arguments and being sober is so much more rewarding.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back NorCal
Old 11-10-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Welcome back
Glad you met someone and are back on the wagon.
It is so much easier to be around a non-drinker.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

So what is your plan, norcal? Are you returning to AA? If so, you may want to consider doing things a bit differently in order to maintain sobriety. Getting a sponsor, working the 12 steps, and practicing the program is a terrific start. Sounds like your new gf will be supportive too, which is awesome. The only thing you have to lose is the obsession of the mind that keeps leading you back to these drinking episodes.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
So what is your plan, norcal? Are you returning to AA? If so, you may want to consider doing things a bit differently in order to maintain sobriety. Getting a sponsor, working the 12 steps, and practicing the program is a terrific start. Sounds like your new gf will be supportive too, which is awesome. The only thing you have to lose is the obsession of the mind that keeps leading you back to these drinking episodes.
Yes. I am going to my first meeting in a month tonight to get my 24 hour chip again. I am doing 90 meetings in 90 days. I've worked the first 4 steps before but have to start over again. From meetings in my home town and locally I have the numbers of several short term sponsers until I find a long term one.

I know my body can't last. My organs are damaged. I remember how amazing it felt every time I was sober for more than just a week or two. I can't get drunk anymore. Its either feel nothing, or so drunk I feel dizzy and sick. Having an amazing woman who loves me and wants to help me get and stay sober is also a huge help I feel. All my alcoholic exs would get mad when I would suggest quitting and told me they didn't need to quit because I wanted to. That made it impossible for me to stay clean with them when there was constantly booze in the house. And I know I have to do this for ME, but the thought of losing my dream woman who I have known since we were kids is my biggest motivation to never drink again right now. I live 100 miles from my main friends and family that don't drink and live in a college town, so everyone I know here is a hardcore partier. Lonliness and a lack of non-drinking friends, combined with distance from my sober people was another huge challenge for me. I am embracing AA, the 12 Steps and getting a sponser. I realize I never really wanted this until now. Thanks for all the support!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Got a night sweats question.

My last drink was 6:30 PM Sunday night, though I only had a couple drinks throughout the day to try and stave off the impending withdrawals I knew were coming. Was pretty much violently ill, shaky, and sweaty all day. Could not sleep. Could barely keep fluids down, could not keep food down.

Day 1: Hydrated all day yesterday: 2 L of pedialite, gatorades, coconut water, tea and straight water. Managed to eat a sandwich and make some kale and mahi mahi for dinner. Still could not sleep. Continued to sip water until about 6 am, peed and fell asleep for maybe an hour. Woke up soaking wet head to toe around 7:30ish am today, Day 2.

Now I noticed my night sweat on Day 1 had a faint bad smell to it, but it wasn't enough to change the sheets. Woke up this morning, soaked head to toe and it almost smelled like I wet the bed. Had a strange, urinish smell to it, but didn't smell like straight pee.

My question is, are my night sweats going to get worse in odor as the days roll on? Last night was the most intense night sweat I've ever had, and I can't believe I would wet the bed as that has never happened to me sober or as a child, only when I would drink heavily, and usually only when I had consumed a ton of beer and then gone to sleep without peeing. All I had been drinking is water and other non alcohol fluids, and went to the bathroom right before I fell asleep for a mere 1.5 hours.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Disregard the last question. Sweats have stopped. The was the last one.

Yesterday was one week sober for me. On day 8 today. Feeling great. Going to AA meetings each night.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are through the worst of it. . .
Now on to sobriety for good