Notices

Alcohol advertising

Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I consider myself pretty well educated - but I had no idea this was the case until I came here to SR, cabo.

D
ok..fair enough..but would that have stopped your drinking. i'm assuming you did know about addiction and liver failure.

I learned alcohol can give you internal yeast infections.here.so yes there are things i'm learning too

I just think saying..Hey. I got cancer..Jamesons you me $100,000 in medical bills because you didn't tell me that was a possibility if i drank a liter of your product for 20 years....You need to specifically educate the public on that if you don't want to get sued....just wrong
Old 05-21-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

just pointing out I am not mentally handicapped or a wolf boy

I just thing saying..Hey. I got cancer..Jamesons you me $100,000 in medical bills because you didn't tell me that was a possibility if i drank a liter of your product for 20 years....You need to specifically educate the public on that if you don't want to get sued
You're adding things to your original statement to try and bolster your argument now, Cabo.

I have no intention of suing anybody, anytime.

D
Old 05-21-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

You're adding things to your original statement to try and bolster your argument now, Cabo.

I have no intention of suing anybody, anytime.

D
well that was from the op

that big alcohol corporation should pay for treatment and education...not you of course
Old 05-21-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I actually agree that they should make monetary contributions to education and rehabilitation...but I'm a hippy lefty

have a good day Cabo

D
Old 05-21-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Is Big Food really the next Big Tobacco? - CSMonitor.com

and suing food companies for obesity and type 2 diabetes isn't just a joke

tobacco lawsuits opened a bad can of worms imo
Old 05-21-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I can finally type after laughing for the last few minutes.

Thank you for this info Dee it's good to know lmao

I nominate this for a Sticky lol;-)
Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

the thing is the cigarette police wasn't asking them for charitable donations from phillip morris for victims...they were suing them. sure its great if they donate money for healthcare or education. it is probably in their best interest, but this is not the issue here..they are making them dish over big money because they can.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seek View Post
Most people are just plain dumb about what they put in their bodies and the effects it can have on them.
Unfortunately this is true, and no amount of education or warnings will change it.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
Unfortunately this is true, and no amount of education or warnings will change it.
I disagree that education or warnings don't affect behavior.

We have virtually zero education currently on the negative effects of alcohol on a person's body, mind, and spirit. I am old and I just recently learned that alcohol causes cancer (and I am also very well-educated). This is not common knowledge.

The culture creates alcohol imbibing as the norm. There are rituals and high school kids are expected to booze it up. Some parents host parties.

College is nothing but a giant booze fest - I don't see the colleges trying to curb alcohol use or educate their students. Spring Break is all about getting totally wasted, as are many sporting events, family functions, etc.

There are bars and liquor stores on every corner.

Alcohol is big business as is medical care. They are probably in cahoots with each other to line each other's pockets.

The "warning" label says it "may" cause health issues - not that it DOES CAUSE CANCER AND OTHER HORRIBLE DISEASES.

I accidentally heard someone who was called "Wino" by his family dying of liver failure. It was horrible. He was screaming for days.

I bet doctors and nurses could educate the public, if they cared to.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

It was my observation that the manifestation of alcohol in my life (you know, the being drunk every day part) was considerably different from what I saw in the advertisements (flat-bellied women wanting the beer-drinking guy to go wind-surfing or cavorting on the beach).