Notices

Alcohol advertising

Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
the same would apply to cars. how much does the auto industry spend on advertisement?
If they didn't advertise, would people still buy cars? Of course they would. But would they buy YOUR car? Maybe not. Advertising is selling a brand. Not necessarily a product.
It's called gaining market share. Why is coors lite one of the most popular brands? It totally sucks, but people consume it because of advertisement. If there was no coors lite people would drink something else. If beer was not advertised people would drink the most affordable and appealing product to their own taste. I recall during my hi school years - I should have done this - I wanted to be an ad copywriter. The reason advertisement works is because the average person is an idiot. Well not exactly an idiot, but not too bright. Brainwashing comes to mind. blah-blah-blah...

Alcohol Advertising

There are many studies. Some will say that ads target youth - absolutely true. And that young people drink because of ads. Not really. I learned about alcohol by word of mouth - attraction rather than promotion. This will be debated until the end of time.

Sure the tobacco giants paid the price. But did it stop young people from smoking - hardly. To demonize it is to promote it. Big tobacco is still raking in the bucks. All of those lawsuits were a pittance compared to the bottom line. AND, it was free advertisement.
Until we are a society of 'grays', people will use mind altering substances and abuse themselves. sway it is.
later
Thanks for clarifying. I see and acknowledge your point. I agree actually. Alcohol consumption growth is perhaps greater correlated to population growth vs advertising spending.

I also understand your point Cabo and don't disagree.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Everything influences us, either consciously or unconsciously.
What we choose to focus on, or pay attention to, we build up in our life.
When we allow ourselves to go into automatic mode, that which is in our unconscious guides our thoughts and actions.

That's where (frequent, repetitious) advertising comes in. It settles into our unconscious minds, because we don't pay attention to everything that goes on around us, and it slips by our critical factor (the conscious mind). Because of this, they (the ads) in effect become post-hypnotic suggestions, and the object of our focus by default, when we don't pay attention.

We don't pay attention, we don't learn how to break this hypnotic spell, we go on to fulfill the suggestions.

No one else, including the advertiser, is responsible for how we choose to focus or not properly focus our own mind.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I don't take much notice any more xxxx
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Kate, how you been?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Last time I checked there were no ad campaigns out there for Heroin, Meth, Cocaine, LSD, Krokodil, Bath Salts, PCP or any other illicit drugs. In fact, the bulk of the "advertising' associated with illicit drugs is AGAINST them. Regardless, people seek them and use them every day in every corner of the world.

The bottom line is that yes, advertising does probably influence some to drink. But it's part of the world we live in. Banning it really isn't going to help much - smoking ads have pretty much been elminated from every form of media in the USA yet millions of people still smoke each and every day.

We must learn to live in the environment around us. There will always be peer pressure, ads, and many other influences for "bad" things.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When I see an argument like this it always reminds me of those stories about the kids who killed someone because they played a violent video game.....no one ever mentions these kids would have killed anyway.....certain individuals are wired a certain way....the alcoholics will fall foul of alcohol and the killers will kill regardless of advertising or video games.

Most people I know with alcohol problems started young it was due to copying their peers and families rather than any sort of advertising. Also everyone I know has sky+ and fastforwards most of the adverts or watches netflix
Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's interesting to me that anyone can dismiss the "soup we swim in" as having no effect on us. Like someone else said, if advertising has no effect on people, then why is there a booming industry?

Of course it has an effect. In the case of alcohol, it normalizes drunkeness and equates it to happiness. That's a big message. To be attractive, have fun, be successful, have fun, you MUST drink the latest booze. And now there are all kinds of fun flavors for those who would be attracted to such things - and fun novelties, as well (booze in things you wouldn't have thought of before).

It's sick and should be stopped, immediately. No social good is coming from it. Ban the ads (like tobacco) and get the booze companies to pay for all of the liver transplants, cirrhosis, various cancers, and the myriad of other problems booze causes. Oh wait, that would be just about every major illness.

In Buddhism, people are cautioned not to work to support intoxicants - it is considered not to be "right livelihood."

There are actually good ways to earn money and low down evil ways - and the support of booze is the latter, in my estimation.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
BP spilled billions of gallons of oil into the gulf because of their incompetence...of course they should pay

Anheisser Busch sells a small percentage of a worldwide product that has been around since about the dawn of time. most people use this product responsibly.

The oil spill comparison does not hold water (no pun intended). You can't spill oil into the ocean "responsibly". I agree with you, caboblanco. Ads are not what started or kept me drinking. The whole victim mentality about drinking and smoking irks me. There is enough information about the harmful effects of both out there for people to make informed decisions. If they choose to partake and/or abuse substances it's a CHOICE that is made of their own free will.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Readerbaby: Where are the harmful effects of alcohol advertised?

And do you also see the concept of alcoholism as "disease" as victim mentality?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by seek View Post
Where are the harmful effects of alcohol advertised?
There are many areas where the harmful effects of alcohol are advertised. DARE programs for one. There are PSA announcements for the consequences and ills of drunk driving. There are radio ads for AA quite freqently. I won't go on but there are many public and non-profit organizations that do a lot of anti-alcohol publicity.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

EFFECTIVENESS OF WARNING LABELS

The second form of counter-advertising is alcoholic beverage warning labels and posters. Health warning label legislation was implemented in the United States in 1989. This legislation requires all alcoholic beverage containers to bear a government warning of the risks associated with consuming alcohol while pregnant, driving a car, or operating machinery. Similarly, since the 1980s several States have mandated the display of health warning posters at places where alcohol is sold.

Alcohol Counter-Advertising and the Media

HEALTH WARNING STATEMENT

REQUIRED
The statement below must appear on all alcohol beverages for sale or
distribution in the U.S. containing not less than 0.5% alcohol by volume,
intended for human consumption and bottled on or after November 18, 1989:
GOVERNMENT WARNING:
(1) According to the Surgeon
General, women should not drink alcoholic beverages during
pregnancy because of the risk of birth defects. (2) Consumption of
alcoholic beverages impairs your ability to drive a car or operate
machinery, and may cause health problems.

FORMAT
n
n
The words “GOVERNMENT WARNING” must appear in capital letters and
in bold type
n
n
The remainder of the statement may not appear in bold type
n
n
The statement must appear as a continuous paragraph

see pp 17-18

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter1.pdf

I look at the disease concept of alcoholism as PART of the addiction. It is not the only factor that goes into it. A lot of people use the comparison of people with diabetes--as a diabetic, you must manage your diet to benefit your health. As an alcoholic you must abstain from alcohol to benefit your health. These choices both involve personal responsibility, which about as far from victimhood as one can get.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Readerbaby: Where are the harmful effects of alcohol advertised?

And do you also see the concept of alcoholism as "disease" as victim mentality?
are you really going to put forth that there are people over the age of say 18 that don't know about the harmful effects of alcohol that aren't mentally handicapped or live on some extreme fringe like the old wolf boy from france?

what is it that people don't know about?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Cabo - I was not arguing liability but since you do bring it up - do you think BP should pay to clean up the mess in the Gulf? To me the two are the same. If you are advertising to boost revenues and profits knowingly taking advantage of addiction I wonder what accountability you place o nthe manufacturer? Why none? Because you are an addict and want to take responsibility for your own actions? I get this logic and its noble but should the industry not share some responsibility? I am not arguing anything should be banned including advertising. But there should be some tax to fund education.

BTW - If I was buying Anheisser Busch shares before they were sold I would discount the value for this liability anyhow. If I buy McDonald's shares I would also discount the price I would pay for the potential liability of taxation.

Corporations do have a fiscal responsibility to maximize profits but also an ethical responsibility to their constituents. In Business School we studies J&J's decision to recall Tylenol and found their morally correct decision to pull the products gained mkt share several times over five years out. You can review it online Google HBS and J&J/Tylenol. While on this topic look into CVS's decision to pull cigarettes from their shelves at the cost of billions in lost annual revenue - this is not for kindness but to build customer loyalty and brand awareness greater than the lost revenue.

Sorry for the tangent but I do think this is all related.

In terms of my post to say there is no impact between advertising and consumption is foolish and incorrect. I also do not believe that consumption and addiction are highly correlated.

But I question who the ads are targeted to ?

A very small part of the population consume a large part of the alcohol produced.

And this group will drink without any prodding , -imo
Old 05-20-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I never saw a natty light commercial or one for bankers club vodka
Old 05-20-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I have. Dumb dumb dumb.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
I am interested in hearing what your thoughts are on alcohol advertising.

Alcohol advertising is banned in many countries and here in Australia it is highly regulated and comes with *.

Tobacco advertising is banned here and can not be seen in any display form at all. Along with quit smoking campaigns we have a hugely significant reduction in new smokers and quitters.

Alcohol now comes in amazing bottles and pretty colours and can be seen in all forms of displays from sipping a glass of wine while taking a cruise to drinking a beer at a BBQ.

If you are to believe the different pitches you are promised much and it is guaranteed to contribute to your dream realizations, ideal lifestyles, social standing whether you are adolecent, a hard working man, a retiree, etc, etc.
Along with product placement, alcohol can be seen everywhere for things that we normally don't associate with drinking.
The marketing budget on many alcoholic product is extraordinary.

Should large alcohol manufactures contribute to the straining health system treating alcoholism and or alcohol related illnesses.

Hi, I don't think advertising changes peoples mind or makes them do anything that they wouldn't do anyway, yes maybe it should be on tv later in the evening but showing me a bottle of beer or a packet of ciggies would not make me want either.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
are you really going to put forth that there are people over the age of say 18 that don't know about the harmful effects of alcohol that aren't mentally handicapped or live on some extreme fringe like the old wolf boy from france?

what is it that people don't know about?
Yes. I am going to put that forth. Do you think it is common knowledge that alcohol causes all kinds of cancers? When people are swilling shots, do you think they are thinking they could be causing themselves to have esophageal cancer?

Most people are just plain dumb about what they put in their bodies and the effects it can have on them.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

BTW - If I was buying Anheisser Busch shares before they were sold I would discount the value for this liability anyhow.[/QUOTE]
JDooner The market is pretty efficient and this liability would already be factored into the price of the shares.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yes. I am going to put that forth. Do you think it is common knowledge that alcohol causes all kinds of cancers? When people are swilling shots, do you think they are thinking they could be causing themselves to have esophageal cancer?

Most people are just plain dumb about what they put in their bodies and the effects it can have on them.
everybody knew booze can cause cancer and other things...that doesn't mean they are thinking about it when they are swilling shots...the same as when someone is smoking a cigarette. I don't make it a point in telling anyone whom I see smoking that this just in..they can get cancer or emphasema from that .

i don't think they would appreciate that.

The booze and cigarette police should just use their energy on suing big corporations for money...just spare us the education stuff..at least be honest

just the way i see it
Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

everybody knew booze can cause cancer
I consider myself pretty well educated - but I had no idea this was the case until I came here to SR, cabo.

D