Notices

Powdered Alcohol Product Nearing Release

Old 04-20-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Powdered Alcohol Product Nearing Release

Lord have mercy, the orgasmatron is coming next...
Old 04-20-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Interesting! Wonder if it will catch on?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am skeptical. This isn't powdered alcohol the way we might think, but some sort of material that has absorbed alcohol so that it can still be seen as a powder.

This has supposedly been available in Germany and Japan for years, but I have never heard of it, nor can I find any information on it. I think all the press releases pertain to approval of labeling for the product. No product.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think it is disgusting that this is going on the market. I know where I live the teen population does alot of drinking. This just makes it alot easier for them to hide it.

Just Great....
Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
'Palcohol' is powdered Alcohol in a Packet now being Patented for Market release. From the Product Website:

Everything you need to know about Palcohol

'Sometimes liquid isn't convenient. Because Palcohol is powder and very light, you can take it just about anywhere to enjoy a cocktail! That's why we say: "Take your Pal wherever you go." Please use it responsibly and legally. Don't consume Palcohol and drive.'

Also reported in the U.S. Washington Times yesterday...

U.K. Newspaper Article on Palcohol

Palcohol Website

I'd just came on here to post the same thing

Powdered Alcohol Has Arrived
04/21/14 11:46 AM ET
Talk about a powder keg.

Palcohol may soon be at a liquor store near you. The product was recently approved for consumption by the Federal Government, which means society could well be on its way to snorting itself into oblivion. But that's NOT HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE USED, PEOPLE.

From the company's site:

We have seen comments about goofballs wanting to snort it. Don't do it! It is not a responsible or smart way to use the product. To take precautions against this action, we've added volume to the powder so it would take more than a half of a cup of powder to get the equivalent of one drink up your nose. You would feel a lot of pain for very little gain. Just use it the right way.
Palcohol, which is used by adding water to a powder packet, also seems to have been caught with its e-pants down because SB Nation, Gawker and other sites found verbiage used on the company's now-changed homepage that seemed to advertise the product as a solution to the hassle of trying to sneak booze into venues.

"What's worse than going to a concert, sporting event, etc. and having to pay $10, $15, $20 for a mixed drink with tax and tip. Are you kidding me?!" the text read. "Take Palcohol into the venue and enjoy a mixed drink for a fraction of the cost."

A new preamble on the site's homepage now states:

There was a page visible on this site where we were experimenting with some humorous and edgy verbiage about Palcohol. It was not meant to be our final presentation of Palcohol ... Many media outlets copied some of that old verbiage about taking Palcohol into venues to avoid high drink prices. But what they didn't include in their stories is that we mentioned on that same page, that you should check with the stadiums first to make sure they allow it.
At any rate, Gawker thinks this stuff could be dangerous:

It's hard to imagine how or why the federal government signed off on Palcohol, a product that, in the wrong hands, could make the darkest days of the Four Loko era look tame.
But the company, which also says its product can be sprinkled on food (vodka eggs, anyone?) insists that, when used as directed, Palcohol has as much alcohol as a regular mix drink.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yep, the Teen Crowd being able to amp up Drinks and Food with this smuggled Product gave me pause. My Teacher/Wife has seen it all. College Functions, and Sports, become potential nightmares. A local University banned liquid Alcohol from Games. Too problematic. Ah, 'the good ole days' of taking Vodka-injected Oranges into Concerts, eh?

This Regulatory 'hurdle' being cleared suggests to me it's a real Product:

'The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau this week signed off on seven versions of Palcohol, including Margarita and Cosmopolitan flavours, which will be made available in autumn of this year.'

My hunch, based on my pre-Retirement Career experience, is that 'Palcohol' is Freeze Dried. Everything from Mushrooms to entire, deceased Pets are. The Pets look incredibly life-like, actually. No Tissue deterioration. Given that, how 'tough' can Freeze Drying Alcohol be? It likely would be all about elapsed time while Freeze Drying, and promptly sealing up the end Product in Packets. Part of the trick might be in whatever the various 'carrier' Flavor 'particles' actually are. Perhaps the Ethanol 'gloms' onto those before drying.

Just my hunch. I may be way off in how this Product is made. Despite what's out there prior, this could be an entirely-new Process.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Frank

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
My hunch, based on my pre-Retirement Career experience, is that 'Palcohol' is Freeze Dried. Everything from Mushrooms to entire, deceased Pets are. The Pets look incredibly life-like, actually. No Tissue deterioration. Given that, how 'tough' can Freeze Drying Alcohol be? It likely would be all about elapsed time while Freeze Drying, and promptly sealing up the end Product in Packets. Part of the trick might be in whatever the various 'carrier' Flavor 'particles' actually are. Perhaps the Ethanol 'gloms' onto those before drying.

Just my hunch. I may be way off in how this Product is made. Despite what's out there prior, this could be an entirely-new Process.
Actually it is encapsulated in a cyclodextrine substance, essentially absorbed by it. It's been manufactured for years in the US and in Europe. Just not sold in the US, until now.

Alcohol powder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-21-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
orangutan

As a person who worked so hard to hide how much I was drinking , a bottle in here or under there, and always fining ways of getting rid of the empties, the first thing I thought of was how easy it would be to hide the evidence.

What a dreadful idea. I hope it doesn't make it to Australia.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
That's funny right there, hahaha.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Interesting! Wonder if it will catch on?
The orgasmatron or powdered alcohol?
I'd like to put in an advance order for an orgasmatron.

Sleeper - The Orgasmatron - YouTube
Old 04-21-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Try try again

*no words*
Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Breaking News ~ Only Palcohol Labels [Un]Approved

This just in...

'Update 4/21/2014 5:45 PDT: It has now come to light that Palcohol received approval for their label, not the product. A representative for the federal bureau said that the approval was made in error, though details were not provided about how the error occurred. Palcohol creator Mark Phillips was not available for comment, but agreed to surrender the approvals this afternoon. Phillips will likely re-evaluate the situation and try for approval on his labels again.'

Note: Adult Language in this Website Address. A few more Palcohol Product details here, too.

I F**king Love Science.com

I read elsewhere that attempts to patent Palcohol would cover only very limited aspects of the Product, and would not necessarily prevent Marketplace competition from other Manufacturers. Perhaps these Patents now being applied for address only the flavoring aspect? This possibility would also dovetail with Posts above that a similar, existing Product is already sold elsewhere. Thus, what is there really to patent?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

MesaMan is right, The AP was reporting that the stuff won't be available any time soon.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This product scares me.

So now you can go to work buzzed, and not even smell of it? Nothing to hide but a packet? Very scary. It's very sad because it is clearly targeted quite substantially at alcoholics. Fair enough I can see people 'sneaking it in' to a sports event or concert but I think it would be out group buying this stuff.

Hope it doesn't arrive in the uk
Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I think all the press releases pertain to approval of labeling for the product. No product.
And now this approval has been rescinded. Can we all untwist our knickers now? Sheesh.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am not really sure why this product should be of concern. Alcohol is all around us. Drugs are around us. We are the ones that choose to indulge in our addictions or not. Whether its powder, liquid or vapor its all really the same. You either want to live sober or you don't. Am I missing something?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I tend to agree with the previous poster: we are swimming in substances in our modern world. If it's not alcohol, there is a mind boggling array of drugs in all forms that can get the addicted personality hooked.
I guess what concerns me about powdered alcohol is that you could easily buy yourself a one way ticket to alcohol poisoning. I can just see the scenario of people already drinking and drugging large amounts and then getting the brilliant idea of doing some more. Thats the way I drank....when I was already drunk, I'd still think of drinking more.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrG View Post
This product scares me.

So now you can go to work buzzed, and not even smell of it?
Alcohol is metabolized and expressed at least partly through the lungs.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post

Hahaha
Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I can see people mixing it into other alcohol ...... people like um .... us