Notices

I hate to be a big fat misery

Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I love to be positive as a rule but I am really glum today. I had to take my 19 year old son to the dentist today because he fell out of a taxi and smashed his teeth on Friday night. I was a right alky at that age, but they seem to go even madder now. All these shots and crap??? What is that all about??? At least we used to water it down with soda. I feel so down, especially as I imagine he may have inherited some dreadful gene from me.
Alcoholics have never changed over the thousands of years. Brits do tend to go overboard, along with Aussies and Scots. I remember going on a world tour, and those guys were even crazier then me. Some great fighters, really great fighters. But man could they drink, its in their culture. Oktoberfest in Munich, stumbling around, puking, past out was all the norm. Cant do anything like that here, no way Jose. Some crazy stuff those guys do, really out there. I could barely understand what they said half the time, but as long as we had drinks in our hands, usually cheap, dreadfully disgusting brews that I choked down until I was drunk enough to chug it. I remember rolling into some european cities with the boys and crew and the first thing we would do is sit by the river or ocean, or atop a stadium somewhere and drink. Then we would go on the hunt for the usuals, and usually find it quickly. Sins amass for sure. I think its just in their culture over there, boys can go into the pub and no stupid little laws would prevent it. But yeah, alcoholsim is in the genes, you cant force nothing upon em, just let the alcoholism run its course and you can only prey that he comes out alive, unscathed, with all his limbs in tact. You see the key is for someone to hit bottom, how far down do they want to do. Its not absolutely neccessary, but for someone to hit bottom and fully realize the extent of the problem, the hopeless they will continue on. Its all about pain. When there is enough pain they will change. That is why when you see lots of bums around a particular city. They probably have many things just given to them. Free Easy foam mattress access. Free food. Pain is the touchstone to change. But you cant do anything for him, all you can do is give subtle hints, like have a AA meeting list casually on his pillow. But you start forcing anything down his throat, he will just puke it back up and revolt.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Kate, you are such an source of support and love for all of us. Sorry you're feeling down. Having a heart to heart talk with your son about his drinking might make you (and him) feel better.

Hugs and much love to you. xoxoxo
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Kate, glad you are feeling better slightly today. Best get used to the cloudy weather us both being in the uk!

You are such an asset to this community. Glad you reached out for support. We're all In this together at the end of the day.