Notices

I hate to be a big fat misery

Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I hate to be a big fat misery

I love to be positive as a rule but I am really glum today. I had to take my 19 year old son to the dentist today because he fell out of a taxi and smashed his teeth on Friday night. I was a right alky at that age, but they seem to go even madder now. All these shots and crap??? What is that all about??? At least we used to water it down with soda. I feel so down, especially as I imagine he may have inherited some dreadful gene from me.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's the eclipse, Kate. Think of it as a full moon in overdrive. I can see it happening to all sorts of folks here on SoberRecovery right now.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I certainly understand, sweet Kate. I am afraid for my own children; alcoholism is all over my family and I am afraid of the genes I may have passed along.

Hope that the dentist was able to help your son.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is that what it is? I got the "glums" too. Like I don't want to think but I am but then I can't concentrate, not that I want to..Round and round it goes.

I think I am going to bed early and sleep it off.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
It's the eclipse, Kate. Think of it as a full moon in overdrive. I can see it happening to all sorts of folks here on SoberRecovery right now.
Are you serious? I hope that's all it is. We have spent a fortune on his F***ing teeth xxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Is that what it is? I got the "glums" too. Like I don't want to think but I am but then I can't concentrate, not that I want to..Round and round it goes.

I think I am going to bed early and sleep it off.
Me too. Today has been shite as we say in Blighty xxxxxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Me too. Today has been shite as we say in Blighty xxxxxxx
Or is it Ireland xxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((((((((Kate)))))))))), I understand. My four children have alcoholism on both sides. I am fearful for them, too. But one thing that my children have (and yours do, too) is a sober parent. I didn't have that luxury and insight and example. In fact, when I was 19 and announced to my parents that I thought I had a drinking problem, they ridiculed me. I think that helps give our children a leg up, even with inevitable experimentation.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Hopefully everything turns out okay for you and for him! I got married this past October, and this was months before I finally realized I needed to quit drinking...but at my bachelorette party A WEEK BEFORE MY WEDDING DAY I got so wasted that I fell and broke off half of my front tooth. So much fun to have to make an emergency dental appointment five days before my wedding and having nightmares (even to this day) that the bonding the dentist used to replace the tooth was going to fall out and I'd be a toothless bride! I should have realized then that I wasn't a normal drinker and I should stop.

I agree with you though...kids these days (and I can still even be considered one of them by some, as I just turned 30!) are absolutely nuts with how much and what they consume. I absolutely consider myself to have been a binge drinker when I was still drinking, yet the quantities that some of my peers would consume without needing a stomach pump is astonishing.

Now that I quit drinking, I notice even more how prevalent (and glorified and encouraged) alcohol is in our society....I live in a small town, and even so, I can drive a mile and point out at least ten establishments within that mile that serve alcohol...between restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, and bars. It's just crazy.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I certainly understand, sweet Kate. I am afraid for my own children; alcoholism is all over my family and I am afraid of the genes I may have passed along.

Hope that the dentist was able to help your son.
Yeah no probs Leigh. They tightened his brace and called him a donut and filed a jaggedy bit
xxx
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Or is it Ireland xxxx
I am half Irish, I say crap...lol

For real, I have had the glums with doom and gloom thrown in all day. What a funk. I have not felt this "weird" in a long time.

Of course being an alcoholic I seem to feel I can think my way out it. I need to shut off my brain..lol
Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Kate...oh what a worry kids are. At 19 I was up to all sorts...away at uni and no-one the wiser.

Hopefully it's just a phase. I worry about both my kids with alcoholism rife in my family. My son is 20 and last year went through a phase of drinking too much at weekends...throwing up in his bed, stumbling home drunk. It scared me a lot. He seems to have settled down a bit now...so maybe he just needed to get it out of his system? Don't know. I think all we can do is teach our kids about the dangers of alcoholism and set boundaries about behaviour in our own homes. My daughter is 18 now, and doesn't drink at all...though she is the closest to me personality wise, so I'm hoping she doesn't start.

Hope it settles down for you...and make him pay back the money you spent out!

Jen x
Old 04-14-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kate,

I'm glad that you posted about feeling down. You don't have to be cheerful all the time.

Hopefully your son will see that he needs to make changes in his life.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post
Sorry to hear that Hopefully everything turns out okay for you and for him! I got married this past October, and this was months before I finally realized I needed to quit drinking...but at my bachelorette party A WEEK BEFORE MY WEDDING DAY I got so wasted that I fell and broke off half of my front tooth. So much fun to have to make an emergency dental appointment five days before my wedding and having nightmares (even to this day) that the bonding the dentist used to replace the tooth was going to fall out and I'd be a toothless bride! I should have realized then that I wasn't a normal drinker and I should stop.

I agree with you though...kids these days (and I can still even be considered one of them by some, as I just turned 30!) are absolutely nuts with how much and what they consume. I absolutely consider myself to have been a binge drinker when I was still drinking, yet the quantities that some of my peers would consume without needing a stomach pump is astonishing.

Now that I quit drinking, I notice even more how prevalent (and glorified and encouraged) alcohol is in our society....I live in a small town, and even so, I can drive a mile and point out at least ten establishments within that mile that serve alcohol...between restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, and bars. It's just crazy.
I love your post missus and I won't even go into my hen night because it was beyond embarrassing My youngest daughter is a credit to me although the oldest daughter has alcohol problems and I completely blame myself. I should never have had kids to be frank. Conor, being the youngest and my only son, is my life and the only one who doesn't blame me for anything that goes wrong in his life, like "Mum I was an ass and fell out of a cab" etc.. Is he like me? Sensitive and regretful, unlike the girls that don't't give a hoot? Everything that goes wrong in their lives makes me feel guilty and responsible. Today I am so lost xxxxxxxxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I am half Irish, I say crap...lol

For real, I have had the glums with doom and gloom thrown in all day. What a funk. I have not felt this "weird" in a long time.

Of course being an alcoholic I seem to feel I can think my way out it. I need to shut off my brain..lol
You are brilliant
Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Hi Kate...oh what a worry kids are. At 19 I was up to all sorts...away at uni and no-one the wiser.

Hopefully it's just a phase. I worry about both my kids with alcoholism rife in my family. My son is 20 and last year went through a phase of drinking too much at weekends...throwing up in his bed, stumbling home drunk. It scared me a lot. He seems to have settled down a bit now...so maybe he just needed to get it out of his system? Don't know. I think all we can do is teach our kids about the dangers of alcoholism and set boundaries about behaviour in our own homes. My daughter is 18 now, and doesn't drink at all...though she is the closest to me personality wise, so I'm hoping she doesn't start.

Hope it settles down for you...and make him pay back the money you spent out!

Jen x
Bless you Jen. You almost made me feel normal xxxxxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I imagine he may have inherited some dreadful gene from me.
Sorry to hear about that Kate. I hope things work out best in the end. Perhaps this is the wake up call he needs.

As for passing on a bad gene, I'm not sure about that. Even if it is the case, remember that "children come through us not from us".
Old 04-14-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Kate,

I'm glad that you posted about feeling down. You don't have to be cheerful all the time.

Hopefully your son will see that he needs to make changes in his life.
Thanks Anna, that means a lot xxxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Nothing much to add but I'll give you a

Here's another.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've never had kids so I can't put myself in your shoes. But I can imagine the pain, guilt you must feel from time to time. I am sorry you feel this way. As far as the moon and all that stuff, I did not feel like going to work today and I did not feel like getting up at 6:30am, but I did. I spent 3 1/2 hours at the senior center helping them with getting their craft classes going and getting their lunch tickets.

One day over two years ago, I got turned around driving to the grocery store. I turned around in a parking lot. I saw a sign that said Golden Years Senior Activity Center. I went in and applied as a volunteer. I've been there ever since. After I spend time with the seniors, I feel totally rejuvenated!

Blessings KateL.