Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Why do drunks always say they never have a hangover?

Notices

Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Chatting to a friend not long ago and got me thinking: doesn't matter how much they drink why do drunks always say they never get a hangover? Or, try to convince me they don't drink in the week, or, they can just consume loads and it just doesn't affect them? Or for some unknown reason they can consume double the amount of anyone else and just "feel fine!". I know for a fact I used to suffer hangovers and all the histrionics that boozing brings all throughout my life. Also, how come they can booze away and it never affects their relationship? Yea, right, ok. Any thoughts or comments please.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Most that I know had awful hangovers, as did I. We were talking about this tonight. While we had hangovers some of us never seemed to get headaches.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

My hangovers were absolutely terrifying. xxxxx
Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I'm always amazed when I read on here that some didn't suffer hangovers.

In my last two years of drinking, mine were BEYOND horrible and was one of the deciding factors in me giving it up.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They don't suffer hangovers because they just feel like crap all the time.

Hungover is the norm, therefore they have no hangover.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I sure got them , they start the hair of the dog .

It does not kill the hangover , just delays it .
Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another point to add to this, I once worked with a guy who was a typical 12 pints a nighter and even more at weekend.

He was in a pretty jolly mood every day, and claimed never to get hangovers. Yet every week for 1 day or so, he'd look like death. He'd be in borderline tears and snapping at everyone.

Anyway, In my naivety I didn't at the time know that these days would occur when he'd NOT had a drink the night before. If he'd run out of money or something, and was forced to do a night without getting smashed he'd be in the most terrible, inhuman condition the next day.

I mean, how rotten a state must he have been in when his body and mind couldn't function without an epic input of alcohol. Me and my pals used to joke about locking him in a room and giving him cold turkey for a month. I hope someone has done it to him since.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I drank a bottle of wine a night and rarely suffered an acute hangover because my tolerance level increased over time. This is the key to heavy drinkers often not appearing very drunk after an intake that would drop a horse.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
I drank a bottle of wine a night and rarely suffered an acute hangover because my tolerance level increased over time. This is the key to heavy drinkers often not appearing very drunk after an intake that would drop a horse.
I agree. But it saps you in the long run.

I compare the diminishing hangovers of drinkers to a frog standing in ever-increasing water temperatures. They won't know they're being boiled until its too late.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I sure got them , they start the hair of the dog .

It does not kill the hangover , just delays it .
Oh my God, yes. That;s how my daytime drinking started xxxxx
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drank to excess when I drank like every day and usually blacked out by drinking around a fifth a evening. Usually felt woozy in the Am but never missed work until about the last 2 weeks when I blamed my ills on smoking too much! Someone once mentioned that I probably always had alcohol in my system to ward off hangovers, I don't know.
Honesty and drinking have never been close associates, "I just had ***" is the reason we need to get honest with ourselves about our drinking in order to get and stay sober.

BE WELL
Old 04-07-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never got a hangover by the end... I started the day off with a drink and a couple of aspirin, and then didn't stop until I passed out that night. Rinse and repeat...

D
Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My hangovers were the same KateL and Ophelia.

They were like impending doom , horrendous , horrific and so bad i wanted to die and so it goes .....

Never got a headache , but everything else under the sun.

Sad about the so called " jolly " guy at your work .
He would have been anything but . How sad , i know what that feels like - trying to be jovial when you are dying inside. He physically was withdrawing and must have felt like hell

I hope he got help .

Most alcoholics are in denial about how much we drink or a scared to admit the realisation that they may be one .

Saying they don't get hangovers plays it down . But having said that , i have known people who have drunk copious amounts without a hangover , when most would be dead.

But that cant go on forever , you need more to feel pissed ...until your body cant take it anymore , that why it's a progressive disease .

Keep on keeping on Lilly

Xxx
Old 04-07-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I think that for some people, they won't admit it because to admit it is to have a problem. That was me. I didn't want to admit on a Monday morning I was hungover. Or a Saturday morning sitting in the hot sun for 4 hours watching my son practice football. Throw on a smile, get through it, drink water.

I have heard of others who never got hangovers. Don't know how, maybe it is because they always had a steady stream of booze in them.

I'm glad I did get my hangovers, they are the number 1 reason I am here today.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
Chatting to a friend not long ago and got me thinking: doesn't matter how much they drink why do drunks always say they never get a hangover? Or, try to convince me they don't drink in the week, or, they can just consume loads and it just doesn't affect them? Or for some unknown reason they can consume double the amount of anyone else and just "feel fine!". I know for a fact I used to suffer hangovers and all the histrionics that boozing brings all throughout my life. Also, how come they can booze away and it never affects their relationship? Yea, right, ok. Any thoughts or comments please.
I did not suffer from hangovers
but
did suffer from all of the other things that you have mentioned
MM
Old 04-07-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

When I started serious drinking again after years of moderated drinking I joined in a 'lock in' and consumed many pints, the following day I had a bad headache and distorted vision. Four years later I could drink 16 pints and have no ill effects apart from a very light wallet.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My baseline was hungover. Also, a few times a month I would wake up with a hangover so bad that I "KNEW" the only way out was more booze. Those days I would start drinking alcohol before I did anything else.

I did lie to people about not getting hangovers. I thought that they would hassle me for drinking again that day if they knew I was still sick from the day before. In reality, I felt like garbage but wanted to protect my option to drink again as soon as possible.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me it was headaches from hell, dry mouth, foggy and blurred vision, so I'd say, this is it, no more, then by Friday, I did it all over again, I'm 50+ years old! and I'm on the road to recovery!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Indeed.

One of my best drinking buddies was up at 5 every morning regardless. She and her husband had a camp on an island and we were invited out to stay. Everyone got rip roaring drunk and I couldn't pull myself out of bed until the next morning at 10:30 and then begged my husband to go home because I felt like crap. I just wanted to go back to bed and put a pillow over my head.

I remember waking up at around 8:30 and hearing my friend with all the little kids, out in the yard and doing crafts. I was beside myself. I don't know how she did it.

I often wonder if she did the hair of the dog but I never asked her. I don't think that she would have admitted it either. She was a big fan of valium too so I'm sure that was in the mix. I'm thankful that I would never allow myself to do that. I made myself feel the pain. I can almost say that if I had learned how to drink to cure a hangover that I might not be here today and it would have been the end of me. One of the big deciding factors of quitting was being tired of feeling like crap every weekend. The fun (or what I thought was fun) was not worth the agony anymore.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
That was pretty much the way it was for me too.