Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Why do drunks always say they never have a hangover?

Notices

Why do drunks always say they never have a hangover?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I never got hangovers because I kept drinking and never had all the alcohol out of my system.

I would however, have the shakes when the blood in my alcohol system got too rich, chronic diarrhea, would vomit in the mornings, etc, etc.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

At the beginning of my alcoholism I quit getting hangovers because I learned to "pace" myself. Instead of getting rip roaring drunk I'd just drink enough to get a buzz... but it became consistent at that point. Then I had to drink more and more and more. Up to 2 bottles of wine just to get a buzz (god only knows how much I'd have to drink to get rip roaring drunk at this point). I still wasn't getting terribly drunk but I started having blackouts. Then I started getting hangovers. I'd go to work feeling so foggy and I knew I still had a bunch of alcohol in my system. Throughout the day I'd be shaky, sick, tired, etc. HOWEVER I'd almost always deny that I was hungover to other people because I didn't want anyone to think I was an alcoholic or I drank too much!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza
At the beginning of my alcoholism I quit getting hangovers because I learned to "pace" myself. Instead of getting rip roaring drunk I'd just drink enough to get a buzz... but it became consistent at that point. Then I had to drink more and more and more. Up to 2 bottles of wine just to get a buzz (god only knows how much I'd have to drink to get rip roaring drunk at this point). I still wasn't getting terribly drunk but I started having blackouts. Then I started getting hangovers. I'd go to work feeling so foggy and I knew I still had a bunch of alcohol in my system. Throughout the day I'd be shaky, sick, tired, etc. HOWEVER I'd almost always deny that I was hungover to other people because I didn't want anyone to think I was an alcoholic or I drank too much!
I hate that part the most......... how it slowly "stops working" and forces you into using larger and larger doses to get buzzed.

In the future, if i decide to do any other drugs, i will keep the "tolerance buildup" concept CLOSELY in mind and carefully ration it out this time to avoid that kind of catch 22 situation to begin with. With alcohol i was a dumb kid fresh out of school and had no idea about any of this, the extent of my knowledge amounted to "well, if i drink 2 i feel good, if i drink 4 i feel great! oh, and dont drive drunk"......... had no idea whatsoever about tolerance, withdrawal, reactions, brain chemistry, none of that. Now from my time here on SR i am learning that "there is no going back once your brain chemistry has been tampered with", so i really did learn about all of this after-the-fact.

Now, older and wiser, i see that our options regarding drugs seem to be limited to the following:

1. Short-term abuse/enjoyment and "ruining" yourself on that particular drug, becoming "allergic" to it via kindling

2. Short-term abuse/enjoyment and "ruining" yourself on that particular drug, then switching over to a different drug that you still dont have a tolerance for..... then rinse repeating

3. Keeping it "casual" or long-term, only enjoying during special events or occasions

4. Sobriety, not using them at all
Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Oh god I wish I could do 3.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
Oh god I wish I could do 3.
I like doing 4 best! X
Old 04-10-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Smile

I had thought about not posting here again. But I figure that it's my right until the moderators take it away.

I used to get hangovers that were really bad after a night of partying. They were the typical stomach and head issues. But somewhere they changed. No longer did I get the stomach and headaches. Now I was experiencing brain fog and unbelievable anxiety. At the time because it came on so slow, I didn't realize it was the alcohol. Id wake up at 3 in the morning with unbelievable anxiety and dread.

I never did the hair of the dog thing, but when the next night rolled around I was ready to go again.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Just speaking for myself, I used to say I never got hangovers because I got used to feeling like warmed over sh!t most of the time. Just thought it was normal. Relationships I don't know because I ruined many due to my drinking. Sober, I now question whether I would have ever had them had I not been drinking. I am a real alcoholic. I'm becoming less concerned about the how's and why's as time goes on and more concerned with being the best person I can be today.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Snoozy... I've used the exact words to describe my hangovers ( you beat me to it ) ..."Impending Doom".... But I also got tremendous headaches with the doom....plus a whopping dose of A-Fib, which is what eventually put an en to all the drinking nonsense.
^ Drinking now messes with my heart. My heart rate noticeably increases when drinking and the next day coming off. The next day or 2 that follow also comes with the heart flutters.

I used to never get hang overs and could still wake up the next morning to be at work at 8am. Now, hang overs for me is like playing russian roluette with only 1 bullet missing from the chamber. I'll usually take a hit most of the time and either be very sick or want to sleep until 4pm and feel like crap emotionally. And the thought of that one off possibility that I may not have one the next morning tries to convince me to pull the trigger and give drinking a shot. Pretty sick thinking....
Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Why do some people get defensive about others saying they don't have hangovers?! I don't get them, kinda wish I did, but I don't. I can be blackout drunk and go for a 5 mile run the next day. Not a brag at all, just how it is.