Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Why do drunks always say they never have a hangover?

Notices

Why do drunks always say they never have a hangover?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

What "solved" my hangovers was my prescription clonazepam. That would work until about 3 p.m., then I would start getting that feeling of unreality and start the cycle all over again to "cure" that.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

In the early days I had the worst hangovers where I couldn't keep food down for almost the entire next day. As the years passed though and I my addiction progressed I became more tolerant of it. There really was about a 10 or more year span in my 20 + addiction that I rarely got hangovers. I just had built up a tolerance to it and it just didn't affect me. I could be buzzed some mornings from the night before and still go to work and do just fine.

When I started to try to quit that is when the worst hangovers of my life began to occur. The kindling affect gave me the worst hangovers I have ever had. But yeah, I can attest to a several year span where I was almost invincible to the morning after affects of alcohol abuse.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It became pretty routine for me to have a hangover, so I eventually began to not really notice it most of the time. I basically only noticed after a night of drinking to blackout. When I started curing my hangovers with morning drinks that accelerated me into alcoholism faster than I ever could have imagined
Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Drank for nearly 30 years , the hangovers in the last 2 years where dark lingering hours of pain . You would have thought that after say 28 years drinking hangovers would not exist , yeh right lol .

Anyway that was all in my wasted life not my new life.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I only had hangovers in the early days of my drinking career. In the end I always had some in my system - I never stopped long enough to withdraw. (I couldn't let myself be shaky at work after all!) A he!! of a way to live.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

My hangovers were almost entirely emotional/mental. The shame and guilt was worse than any headache or stomachache I ever had.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Similar to Dee: drank early, painkillers, and just carried on drinking all day. It just felt like I was carrying on where I left off the night before. Starting early seemed to ward off hangovers. Still felt like crap all the time, though. And NOT starting early let hangovers from HELL set in.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I never suffered with hangovers, the main part of a hangover was caused by dehydration, no matter how much I drunk that night, 1 litre of water before bed I would feel fine the next day, no headaches, no nausea etc, I think this made me drink everyday, with no Ill effects the next day.....but of course it was the damage you don't see or feel made me quit alcohol.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
My hangovers were the same KateL and Ophelia.

They were like impending doom , horrendous , horrific and so bad i wanted to die and so it goes .....

Xxx
Impending doom is the only way I could describe my true hangovers after a binger...Even on nights I only had a couple drinks and went to bed, I still felt that doom in the morning..it's the worst feeling ever. I would ask everyone if I did anything stupid or if everything was okay....and even if everything was fine, I'd feel so horrible.
Kate, I too started the morning drinking at one point because of the "hair of the dog"....that is such a horrible pattern to get into...I never could relate with the people who literally had ONE bloody mary the next morning..that was not my style.
So glad all that's over...but to comment on the original post, I think the reason why they say they never have a hangover is because they just keep drinking, so they really dont have a hangover...there was a time that I didn't have one, but that was in my teenage years....party and get up like nothin happened haha
Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joshlyman View Post
My hangovers were almost entirely emotional/mental. The shame and guilt was worse than any headache or stomachache I ever had.
My guilt is what's driven me to quit....words can't describe how guilty I felt after drinking...now honestly sometimes I had done things that warranted feeling guilty for...(that I'm so glad I'm not drinking anymore so I don't risk making any more mistakes that I don't mean!!!!!), but even if nothing happened it was the worst emotional hangover ever....
Old 04-07-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Talking

[QUOTE=lovemesomeokra;4575149]In my teens, I got the headachy, vomiting hangovers. By my late 20's I rarely got those, I just felt very lethargic when I woke and it took 2-3 cups of coffee to get me going enough to dress for work. I think that's because my early drinking was binge drinking but it progressed to near nightly drinking by my late 20's. About 3 years ago I started getting the shakes about noon. A beer or two would stop them, so that's what I did, and that's when I started the sunrise to sunset drinking that ultimately brought me here. And if I woke up in the middle of the night, I'd pop one and down it before I went back to bed.

I did the middle of the night thing too..I actually developed the WORST insomnia when I was a REALLY heavy drinker....I never could admit it was from drinking. I would pass out early..wake up at like 2 or 3 and then never go back to sleep...sometimes even 1...Then i would sneak shots from the bar at my house at the time in hopes of going back to sleep. Sometimes if there was enough booze I could sneak, I would be able to pass back out...but the middle of the night became my little "alone drinking time" haha it was a weird unhealthy horrible pattern! So glad it's over!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I never had much of a hangover my last year of drinking. I would start drinking during the day, take 2 alka-seltzers at night, and start the process all over again. I got the shakes pretty bad if I didn't drink. I quit my job due to the impossible anxiety symptoms. The seizures finally got me into treatment. Haven't had a hangover since, and when I wake up I feel like a million bucks.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

For me, the key was drinking a lot of water before I finally went to bed. On a typical day, my hangovers consisted of cotton mouth, foggy head, and maybe a slight headache. Some water and a few cups of coffee usually set me straight. Sometimes I would have virtually no hangover at all.

EDIT: I should add that my first thought every single morning was regret and disappointment at myself for getting drunk every night and not being able to stop. That feeling was always worse than the physical hangover and ultimately what led me to finally quit, only 8 days ago.

Last edited by Carbonite; 04-07-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 04-07-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I didn't so much suffer from hangovers but rather borderline alcohol poisoning. The truly awful feeling after a week long binge is a terror to behold. The ever present stench of stale urine, sweat and crap. Shakes, nightmares, closed eye visions, aching, diarrhea, deep dark thoughts, colossal sweating. Endless hours that drag, Not knowing the time of day. Overwhelming need for alcohol, and the pitiful fight to resist it. Makes me shudder to remember it.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Something weird i noticed was as follows:

Morning immediately after a long night with lots of drinking (8-10+ drinks).........

"Man i feel like crap, i think im gonna take a few days off or something...... i am NOT doing this again, this hangover sucks....... my energy is just gone, bleeeeehhh"

Later that same day, usually in the afternoon around 5-7 pm..........

"Alright, i feel better enough, i think that's been long enough....... time for a drink!"

........ people have this misconception regarding hangovers, they logically think that the LAST thing on a hungover person's mind is having a drink. But when you are actually the person described above, you know from experience that that is not true.

I was amazed by how FAST my brain conveniently "forgot" the nasty hangover feelings from that same morning, less than 12 hours ago....... just goes to show you that hangovers really have no bearing on how much you will drink.

Don't get me wrong, i had total about 2-3 "extra bad" hangovers where i really did stay away from the bottle for 1 or 2 days, but if it was just a "regular" hangover i inexplicably and mysteriously found myself back on the bottle in less than 24 hours, almost without even thinking about it........
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I can honestly say I am totally overwhelmed by all your replies. I never thought anyone cared, yet, you all do. Enough to take time to give me your unending support. Truly this is such a massive help to me confirming that I know I am right in what I am doing, keeping clean, sober, and not picking up that drink and succumbing to all the lies & illusions. Omg, reading & reading again all your posts brings it back to me the horror of it all. I never, ever want that life back. Thank youxxx
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

You are doing great Lilly

We all care .:-)

Keep fighting the fight love xx we never want to go back to that dark place ever again xx

Much love .x
Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

:: WARNING, THIS IS VERY DESCRIPTIVE AND RECOMMEND NOT EATING WHILE READING THIS::
I had the worst hangovers ever and it's really what got me to say enough is enough. I was binge drinking once a week but that one night made for a brutal morning. I never understood how people could just pick up a drink in the morning after a lot of drinking the night before.

Here's how my typical morning after binge drinking went: when I woke up at like 6:30AM, I had a mouth dryer than the sahara desert and would walk rather crookedly with my eyes half open to the fridge and down like a gallon of water because I was so thirsty. Then I would lay down again. I would feel better for like 2 minutes. Then all of a sudden my head started pounding non-stop and my mouth would start salivating out of nowhere and a few seconds later my head would be in the toilet getting rid of all the delicious water I had downed 5 minutes ago. Then I would lay down again and go "oh god" with a pillow over my head to cover the morning sunlight. I would pass out for like 2 hours then wake up again with dry mouth and desperately thirsty, I looked at the table nearby with a glass that was half full of vodka and just smelling it made me run to the bathroom and hurl. The worst part of the second time was there wasn't anything in my stomach but the stomach acids at that point so I would be throwing up essentially nothing and occasionally thick yellow content that looked like mucus. The whole entire day my heart would be pounding and I started shivering like I was cold even if it was 80 degrees in my room. I would doze off and my headache would go away as long as I laid down, but as soon as I got up and walked around again, I was headed to the toilet. I sometimes puked like 5 times in a whole day and couldn't hold water until 7 or 8 PM that night. I couldn't hold down any food until probably 9 PM so sometimes I would be without food for almost 15-20 hours. I often wondered if I was going through alcohol poisoning it was so bad. The funny thing was the next day I would feel normal again like nothing happened and I would look forward to the next friday night where I would drink the same amount again. I never learned even from those horrific hangovers until one morning I just couldn't take it anymore.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I have a friend who's been "lucky" enough not to get hungover, he claims never, but in reality they're there they're just much milder than some of us get. Like all good alkies he's also in denial and quick to jump straight to a drink the next day to "hide" the symptoms he "never" gets.

Unfortunately for him his liver is a gonner. So while for the others in this little "drinking group" we are all still pretty healthy because the hangovers were/are a SIGN that our body is not coping and we at least stop for a while. He claims to have never received those signs and has therefore never considered himself to have a problem.

His liver is now stuffed, he's been told to stop, I tried to get him to stop with me but I couldn't. At one point I nearly convinced him to stay off the grog during march. A day after agreeing he asked if I wanted to go out. He drinks every day still and I'm worried, no not worried - convinced, he won't be around in a few years. Leaving his friends and family behind.

So I have said to many a person that only has mild hangovers it's a very very dangerous "fortune".
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Wow SilentCF and looking4H

2 great posts , thanks for sharing - it really makes you think.

Mild hangovers are a dangerous fortune , so true L4h ..i never looked at it that wAy , but it makes sense xxx