Notices

Day 1...first post...sigh

Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1...first post...sigh

Hey all, just wanted to say hi. Been lurking here for years now but have been in denial about how bad my problem really was/is for equally as long. Kept talking myself into believing that I could be just a weekend drinker if I really, really tried hard. Not in any denial anymore, I'm now fully aware of how bad my problem is now and fully accepting that I can't be a part time drinker...sucks lol.

Not really into the AA thing as I am atheist but I do know I need to quit drinking for my own personal health sake. I'm very passive drinker and don't do a bunch of stuff I regret the next day(my nights consist of booze, weed and movies) but I'm at the point where I'm going through a 750ml of whiskey a night and have been for at least 5 years now plus of course probably close to a 10 year build up before that. I'm hoping I haven't done any permanent damage to my body that I can't recover from but doubt I'm far off at this point if I haven't.

Anyways just wanted to say hi, drop a little info on myself and hoping to be a new regular here.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Been there. Just over a year ago is when I finally had to stop. Didn't go to aa, wasn't for me. This place can work. Just keep reading and asking questions.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sanantoniosober View Post
Been there. Just over a year ago is when I finally had to stop. Didn't go to aa, wasn't for me. This place can work. Just keep reading and asking questions.
Thx Sanantoniosober, have actual read many of your posts but never commented because I thought that registering here was actually fully admitting how bad my problem was...ridiculous lol.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome! Glad you found us. I also drank mostly at home and didn't usually do things I regretted the next day.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Welcome Leonidas. I applaud your courage. You've made a beginning. All the best to you.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oak View Post
Welcome! Glad you found us. I also drank mostly at home and didn't usually do things I regretted the next day.
Think this almost makes it harder as I literally don't have anyone telling me I should quit drinking. Infact quite the opposite during times that I do quit. No one sees it as a problem because their is no physical evidence or aftermath to see. I'm not at all a sloppy or blackout drinker so even my own best friends have a hard time believing I have an actual problem. When I tell them that the actual problem is that I drink every night the responses are always "why don't you just stop drinking on weekdays than"? Good question, wish I had a better answer other than "I don't know, because I can't".
Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome leonidas! You're in the right place.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Leonidas

D
Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxx
Old 03-11-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Think this almost makes it harder as I literally don't have anyone telling me I should quit drinking. Infact quite the opposite during times that I do quit. No one sees it as a problem because their is no physical evidence or aftermath to see. I'm not at all a sloppy or blackout drinker so even my own best friends have a hard time believing I have an actual problem. When I tell them that the actual problem is that I drink every night the responses are always "why don't you just stop drinking on weekdays than"? Good question, wish I had a better answer other than "I don't know, because I can't".
This was me too. I drank at home and nobody that knew me socially really saw it.

Once I gave up the fantasy of moderation, things got so much easier.

Welcome and prepare to be wowed by how great it is to just live a sober life
Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. For me this has been a great and supportive place. I am at eight months now, but we all started on day one. So glad you are joining us.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thx for all welcomes and support guys, I appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Leon, if you have been lurking here for years, my suggestion should not come as a surprise:

See a doctor, be honest about drinking (the amount and duration) and your desire to quit. Get through the rough hurdle of detox under supervision.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome stick around and watch the minutes, hours,and day's add up
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not really into the AA thing as I am atheist but I do know I need to quit drinking for my own personal health sake.
Hi and welcome to what can be a beginning of a great sober life. Before and since joining AA I was and am not aligned with any religious organization. I do believe in a power greater than me which I call a Higher Power, it's that simple. There is NO religious requirement to be in AA. It's up to the individual alone.
The following is the AA preamble which is read before most meetings:

"Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination or politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety."
Just stating the facts Mam.

BE WELL
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for the good suggestion Carl, I will definitely sleep on it(or at least stare at my ceiling and think about it while I struggle to sleep lol). It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea I'll give you that. This is actually my 2nd attempt in a rather short period of time(was 7 weeks sober until Super Bowl) and last time the detoxing wasn't bad as far as withdrawls went. No shakes, scares or health issues, just **** sleeps, crazy dreams the entire 7 weeks and of course having major cravings come and go. I started my crazy healthy diet up again today that I did last time and that along with exercise seemed to helped tremendiously with the withdrawls and hoping it will again this time as well.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi and welcome to what can be a beginning of a great sober life. Before and since joining AA I was and am not aligned with any religious organization. I do believe in a power greater than me which I call a Higher Power, it's that simple. There is NO religious requirement to be in AA. It's up to the individual alone.
The following is the AA preamble which is read before most meetings:

"Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination or politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety."
Just stating the facts Mam.

BE WELL

Thx IOAA2, good to know. Been sort of curious of what path of recovery to take as even though I am stubborn I question how far my own will power alone can take me. Only 7 weeks last time and thought I was doing so good till then.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

. . .I'm at the point where I'm going through a 750ml of whiskey a night and have been for at least 5 years now plus of course probably close to a 10 year build up before that.
Thanks for posting Leonidas. Whenever I hear that someone can tolerate drinking 750 ml of whisky per night I get scared and more resolute about quitting. I had significant problems with much smaller amounts! I am not sure if my inability to tolerate large amounts is due to genetics or body type, but, whatever the case may be, I could never got to the point where I could drink a lot (though I tried). Hence to my ears 750 ml sounds like a truly frightening daily amount.

I just wanted to let you know that it helps my process to read your messages, and also that I am scared for you and earnestly hope you succeed as so many others here have. Thank you again.