Notices

Winter months and depression

Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Winter months and depression

Does anyone else find it harder to stay sober during the winter season?? I find the dark days make my depression worse. I forced myself outside today and rode my bike for 1 hour. I felt better until I came home. I live with my folks and my mom was suspicious that I had been hitting the bottle because I was on my bike. I almost felt like going out to have a beer because she thought I already had been drinking. Relapse could be around the corner for me because I have been getting restless and feel like a failure at life. I have no doubt that I am a alcoholic but it's almost as if I don't care anymore.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Chin up. I absolutely hated it when people thought I'd been drinking when I hadn't. I also would often think,' to hell with it, I may as well then'. But prove them wrong and think 'yaboo!!' Winter blues are horrid. I hope you feel better soon. I am looking forward to the Spring. xxx
Old 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I posted elsewhere basically the same sentiments.
The weather sucks, the economy is in the crapper, I just feel real hopeless lately.
Business is way off, I really wish I didn't have to care about money. I hate it.
I'm happy with so much in life. But the whole survival based on money grind really gets me down. It's so shallow and redundant.
All these taxes we pay, for what... I just feel like we're getting the shaft over and over.
I wish things were simpler.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

DanDare, financially I have to file bankruptcy because of medical bills and various fines. I sometimes just think sobriety isn't worth the 100% effort I have to put into it.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I sure would love to be able to take my scooter out for a spin.

I don't enjoy winter either. It is a bleak and snowy day here where I live and the roads are a mess.
Hang I'm there we are half the way home to spring
Old 02-04-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by Turninganewleaf View Post
DanDare, financially I have to file bankruptcy because of medical bills and various fines. I sometimes just think sobriety isn't worth the 100% effort I have to put into it.
I'm really sorry to hear that.. but I'm pretty sure we shouldn't consider alcohol as a help.
To go back, especially in a bad state of mind, is most certainly going to end bad.
So I say lets stay free today, eh?
Hang in there, and I will too.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To be honest, alcohol helps with my depression when I'm drinking. However, it comes with a very high cost. It has taken everything from me yet I miss it at the same time. That is the insanity of addiction.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Turninganewleaf View Post
To be honest, alcohol helps with my depression when I'm drinking. However, it comes with a very high cost. It has taken everything from me yet I miss it at the same time. That is the insanity of addiction.
I caught up with my debts eventually. If I hadn't stopped drinking, I doubt that would have happened xxxxx
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I take vitamin D during the winter months as I live in Minnesota. You could try that. You can actually have your blood tested by the doctor to see if you are low. It can cause depression.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

silent, I had one of those artificial sunlight lamps. It helped last winter but I cannot seem to find it at the house. I asked my psych doctor to raise my anti-depressant to a higher dose but he said no. I am exercising daily and it is helping but not as much as people tend to say it should. If I could stay drunk 24 hours a day 7 days a week I'd probably would. However, financial, legal and physical problems would prevent me from drinking like that.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

AAhh I am sure you know this but alcohol screws up those antidepressants. Go to the store and get some vitamin D. Better yet go to the doctor and have them test you. My daughter was freakishly low and they gave her a prescription. The doctor can tell you exactly how much you need. If those sun lamps helped that might be a good clue. Do you spend a lot of time outside during the summer? For some reason people who do have a harder time with this in the winter months.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In my backyard I can see the bright green of some of the bulbs just popping up. Even though it is still winter, the signs that spring will be here eventually are there.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is one of the coldest and snowiest winters in the Midwest in quite a while. I rode my bike 12 miles today and the high today was 15degress. That is how badly I need to get outside.
I am on a diet and want to get into the shape I was in when I was in the military. Not an easy thing to when I am in my mid 30's.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of your depression and money woes, but take it from someone who has gone the bankruptcy thing! A) it still costs money to file it! B) it screws your credit for 10 years. C) Your medical bills will go away , but fines, penalties, taxes will not. Screw the medical bills, tell them you can only pay $5.00 a week. Work out a plan for the fines and most of all Don't Give in and Drink, it will help nothing and you WILL get more depressed! It took me a long tie to get my finances back in order after bankruptcy and I wish I hadn't done it! Stay Strong and Well!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Turning, you may well have a vitamin D deficiency in the winter months being indoors , my other half has that proplem and her Dr. Gave her a scrip for Vitamin D that she injects herself with, has something to do with sunlight! And as for the part of getting back in shape in your mid 30's , I beg to differ as I am 58 and have a little bit of a roll over my belt due to not working everyday in winter , but I can outwork and outrun all the 20's-40's guys I hire, hell I'd be like the FLASH if i'd quit these damn cigarettes, LOL! Stay Strong and Well!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The mood slump could be due to “seasonal affective disorder”. It's caused by decreased exposure to sunlight. Our bodies manufacture vitamin D when exposed to sun light. I also take a Saint Johns Wart supplement that helps me with this.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
lrj

It can be done!!! Diet and excercise will fix you right up. I'm closing in on my six pack after not having one for almost 20 years
Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

glacier, I did not know that fines and such things cannot be eliminated in Bankruptcy. That even makes feel more hopeless. I have no intention of paying my medical bills they are astronomical because of a drug overdose and several detoxes. Of course, I have enough money to pick up a six pack of beer. That's what makes alcohol so hard to beat is because it is fairly cheap compared to illegal drugs or even other entertainment.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have suffered with winter depression my whole life. I even took a couple of Decembers off from drinking to fight it but to no avail. I figured the drinking was a tool that I was depriving myself of but now I know that was BS. When I quit I kind of suspected that the depression was a self standing issue that wouldn't just vanish and I was right. I do find that it's easier to develop and execute strategies to deal with it when I'm not drinking. If nothing else, I have a little extra money.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Newleaf we have some stuff in common. I am also in my mid 30s living with my parents in recovery from alcoholism. Also considering bankruptcy due to medical bills. I sometimes feel affected by the harsh winter as well. 12 miles in 15 degree temps is awesome trust me I know! How long have you been sober?