Notices

Failure again

Old 02-02-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Failure again

35 days down the drain. Moved house, was tired, irritable, let myself down. Feeling pretty awful right now. I'm back though, sorry.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not sure success or failure is the right way to look at it. You moved 35 days in the right direction. That's 35 days you DIDN'T drink. Get back on the horse. You can do it. I think recovery is a work in progress, rather than a destination.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Get right back up and on the wagon. You know what to do so just do it.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Don't be sorry, just pick yourself up again. I moved last year and have never been so stressed in all my life. Forgive yourself and move on xxxxx
Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Starting over again too!! We can do this!!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

relapse is part of the process - this is a journey about learning about yourself not just giving up the booze. Therefore these slips if they help provide resolve are parts of the process. You may want to rethink about what led to this - usually its not the things you mentioned and happens well in advance but that was just my experience. Perhaps adjusting your program.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. As stated alcohol is part of the problem and many don't, for various reasons, usually fear, work on the reasons we drank and keep relapsing. I know all about it. Fears kept me captive for too long and I drank to escape them. After a drink or two my attitude changed to "I don't care" and lasted till I became fearful again. I needed some time to sober up and confront my triggers. Over the years most have been turned into manageable concerns because I don't drink any more and think of others as "how important is it" and manage from there.

BE WELL
Old 02-02-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Once again you toke on the fight Bluebird, that should make you feel good.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I am not sure success or failure is the right way to look at it. You moved 35 days in the right direction. That's 35 days you DIDN'T drink. Get back on the horse. You can do it. I think recovery is a work in progress, rather than a destination.

Well said. It is a process and everyone's journey will be different but we are all moving in the right direction even with setbacks. We learn and move on.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We've all tried and failed at this before. If it were easy, there would be no need for places like this.

You don't fail at this until you quit trying.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, feeling a bit better about my slip. Reassessed and I'll move on. Thank you for your advice, it's priceless at times like this
Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't apologize.
Fall 8 times, get up 9 times.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with this 100% So long as you learn something new about your triggers then it is feedback, not failure!

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi. As stated alcohol is part of the problem and many don't, for various reasons, usually fear, work on the reasons we drank and keep relapsing. I know all about it. Fears kept me captive for too long and I drank to escape them. After a drink or two my attitude changed to "I don't care" and lasted till I became fearful again. I needed some time to sober up and confront my triggers. Over the years most have been turned into manageable concerns because I don't drink any more and think of others as "how important is it" and manage from there.

BE WELL
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonigel View Post
I agree with this 100% So long as you learn something new about your triggers then it is feedback, not failure!
This is a good point, the mental side of the hangover I can take to a point, what gets me is the physical, the spots, the bloat. I train five times a week at the gym and am body image conscious. I saw a rugby player on TV drinking, he was still in great shape, he lives a normal life, can I? Of course you can said the stupid alcoholic part of my brain, from that moment on I felt helpless to stop the inevitable drink
Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Bluebird, I think (I could be wrong) that IOAA2 was referring more to the emotional triggers that precede a relapse than the physical hangover effects.

Don't listen to that voice.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonigel View Post
Hi Bluebird, I think (I could be wrong) that IOAA2 was referring more to the emotional triggers that precede a relapse than the physical hangover effects.

Don't listen to that voice.
Yeah, emotionally I was feeling a little down, inadequate, I don't know. I think I let the stress of the house move get on top of me and felt I needed a reward.

The next time I see some triggers I'll have to adapt to deal with the situation, or never move home again ha ha
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluebird1927 View Post
35 days down the drain. Moved house, was tired, irritable, let myself down. Feeling pretty awful right now. I'm back though, sorry.
That's 35 days without alcohol. You did great. Start over again. Never back down and don't stop fighting.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just came back today as well after falling off the wagon for six months.

BUT. You are back. I am back. That's what matters. Change is today. Congratulations on going the 35 days. You can do it again.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome back! You can do this.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, my resolve is back today. Feeling better, let's start again