Notices

A rather unpleasant experience

Old 02-15-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Pretentious is exactly the word for it.

Funny, a couple of days after I posted this we had an argument, and she suddenly said, quite vehemently "and you didn't behave yourself very well at that dinner".

Come again?

Needless to say I got furious. I mean, I thought I had done her a favor... but apparently... I was not my normal conversational self. You see, I normally light up parties with stories or jokes (yes, even when sober), and that night I just was not up to that, for the reasons mentioned above.

Which means I didn't talk to her for 2 days. Of course, as so often, it wasn't so much about my behavior but about the fact that she didn't enjoy the pretentious **** either, and neither did most of her colleagues BTW.

She then went into a rant about how ****** the food was, how boring the whole evening was, how ridiculously expensive etc. As so often, it wasn't even really about me, but, oh well, that's the way she communicates.

What that does bring home is that, when you are not an alcoholic, you can not possibly understand how these things work. We've been together for 23 years now, and she *is* very happy that I quit drinking, I don't doubt that, but she can't see what a feat it was for me to not run away screaming from that table. And I bet quite a few of you got uncomfortable just by reading/imagining it, because you *do* know how it would feel.