Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Best friend offered me morphine with disastrous consequences.Her fault or mine?

Notices

Best friend offered me morphine with disastrous consequences.Her fault or mine?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Her fault or mine?

Yours.

You'll be offered, in many ways, all kinds of drugs. It's up to you to refuse.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Sally?

D
Old 02-02-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Does your friend struggle with substance abuse also? If she does the old saying, "misery loves company" might apply. I would stay clear of that friend regardless.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Who offers a known addict anything addictive? I'm just confused, because it was such a strange thing to do....
Sally one of my golden rules and extremely important lessons learned in recovery is understanding that "they just don't get it". They don't understand addiction. And, they never will.

Using that as a tool, when someone hands you a strip of pills or a glass of alcohol, just repeat that phrase and focus the mental activity on your brain, not theirs. YOU get it.

11 months down the drain? I was sober for 10 and went out drinking again. I wasn't working a program. Sure, I was in AA, but I went into the rooms and just sat there staring at the clock. I guess I thought that I'd get the message through osmosis. !

Relapse, I had a few. For a lot of us, the journey to recovery includes a few stumbles and falling flat on our faces. It's a journey nonetheless.
And my first sober 10 months were not a waste: I had my first sober Christmas and New years. I saw my son off to college sober and got some long postponed projects done. I am sure you can look back and think of some milestone events during those months!
What other choice do you have but to brush yourself off and get back in the saddle?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
did you know she had these morphine pills? did you really have a backache? are you sure you didnt engineer getting your hands on these pills? just asking because as addicts, we can often play trick on ourselves and everyone around.
I had no idea she had the pills. Yes, I did have a backache, but to be honest, not bad enough for pills.
She does know I have an alcohol and pill addiction though.

Feel very blue today. Alone, always on a Sunday as my youngest son, who still lives at home, is at a rehearsal for a play. I didn't tell him I was so low because I didn't want to spoil his fun.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
About 12 weeks dry, suffering badly from untreated alcoholism, a well intentioned friend offered me some weed. One puff was all it took. A drink was down my neck in seconds., which lead through 18 months of misery to eventual recovery.

It wasn't my friend's fault. I'm not sure it was mine either as I had not grasped how serious alcoholism is and had therefore avoided doing anything about it other than not drinking. Turns out I was living on a razor edge and it took next to nothing to knock me off.

For me the lesson was just not drinking does not treat alcoholism.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - 1 drink is what tipped him back into heroin after 20+ years

Difference between HIM and YOU Sally1009 (OP) is you know you had a minor slip up and are back on track... kudos to you

You will win the fight !
Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

(((Sally)) just want to give you a hug. Keep fighting.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You seem to have remained sober whilst going to meetings and having contact with your sponsor. The whole point of the fellowship is to remain accountable for your actions. What do you think your sponsor would say about this? Maybe time to fund out again and this time stick around?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
AA member

Have you got any phone numbers from the ladies in AA Sally? or could you get to a meeting?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If there was a gun pointed at your head, forcing you to take the pill then its the other persons fault. Otherwise you had a choice, you gave into the obsession that it will be different this time, or that you could control it, or you would have fun this time, or nothing bad will happen this time. Its just human nature. Just walking down the street you will be offered drugs, are you a "YES" person? or are you an independant thinker?