Notices

No motivation to quit

Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No motivation to quit

I only drink later on at night. I'm sober most of the day. But I just have no reason why I should stop right now.
But I do want to quit, too. That's why I'm posting this.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ask yourself why you've come here? Someone who is happy and comfortable with their drinking wouldn't be on sober recovery. Good luck with it
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Posting about wanting to quit drinking on a recovery website seems like a good reason to me. You wouldn't have come here if you didn't have at least one reason of some kind now, would you?

Perhaps you could re-read some of your earlier threads as well if you have forgotten the other reasons you came here.

Hangovers
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hard-quit.html

Dependence on alcohol to get to sleep
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hol-sleep.html

Unplanned relapses and dependance
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...i-go-here.html
Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not everyone comes into recovery wanting, willing and ready to quit. It's quite normal to want to quit but not be ready. I'd say that's a pretty common scenario. You may never be ready to quit so you need to make some changes that support you in quitting.

In my first recovery, getting my first 90 days in AA took a long time. I went to one or two meetings a day and was a mess, but I got through it. I was sober for 2 years then relapsed.

Coming back into recovery and AA this time, I am ready to quit, but I had to make changes in my routine to support that. Eg catching the bus was a trigger because I'd either be on the bus on the way home with a bottle in my bag, or I'd be buying one at the liquor store by my home bus stop.

It's not easy to quit and you may never be ready. YOu need to make a decision to quit regardless, have a plan for what to do when you want to pick up and get some support in place.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Look at it in the light of any other disease. Do you think everyone with Type 2 Diabetes, for example, wants to skip dessert and get more exercise? Probably not, but they need to make changes in order to manage their disease.

If you want to be a recovered alcoholic, you have to make changes you may not want.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Iopu, it appears as if you want to quit but have no reason to quit.. Thats quite an interesting mix of intentions.

Any further info possible? Difficult to discuss with so little
Old 01-15-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When you are ready we'll be here. No sense in forcing yourself into something you are not ready for. I would end though with the fact that you came here to confirm to yourself that your drinking will not always ok. You realize that you have a potential problem that will need to be addressed sooner or later. Just know that the longer you wait, the harder it will be.

You have to want it for yourself before anything else is going to matter.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I didn't have a "reason" either. Not any that I really cared about. Everyone says "quit for yourself". I only thought so far as to respond- "I can't". But finally, I examined that response and I asked myself "Why can't I quit for myself?" The truth is that I didn't care about myself enough to quit.

You can't really care about yourself, and drink like an alcoholic. I say that a lot... Realizing that made me really sad. We all should take care of ourselves. It's not okay to hurt ourselves, I don't think.

You say you have no real reason to quit. But, your own physical and mental health and well-being should be a REALLY good reason. If it's not, maybe you're like me- and you need to take a closer look to figure out why caring for yourself and being healthy never made it on the list.
Sending my best!!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When someone asks me the definition of an alcoholic. I have been telling them,wanting to stop,but not really wanting to stop. That described me most of my drinking career.
I got up EVERY morning saying I am NOT going to drink today. After lunch and as the afternoon went on I always started changing my mind. Until 5 oclock. When nothing could stand between me and the beer store.
I did that for WAY too many years.
It's a hell of a way to live. Especially after I look back and wonder just what it was I was thinking all of that time.

Fred
Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iopu View Post

I just have no reason why I should stop right now.

But I do want to quit
for me I finally got to a point in time where
drinking made me sick and tired
it wasn't until I got sick and tired of being sick and tired
that I stopped drinking

not sure if you are at that point Iopu ?

no matter what you decide
wish you the best
Mountainman