Notices

Relapse, where do I go from here?

Old 11-03-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse, where do I go from here?

It happened I relapsed. I got struck with a nasty flu and ended up drinking. And every night since. Where do I go from here?
I've always quit by myself by tapering. But at this point I've relapsed twice so I do need a support group or something or this alcohol on-off habit will be lifelong.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pmv
if it works don't fix it

Start over, get to an aa meeting, welcome back
Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get back up, dust yourself off and get yourself sober. You can do it but you don't have to do it alone. It is not in the falling down that we are judged, it is in the getting back up.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A day ago or 100 years ago, there is no real difference. Both moments are equally gone. What are you going to do right now? Right now is the only time you really have. If you can control it, you control everything. Right now I'm never going to drink again. Join me. I read not too long ago that most sober people who used to abuse alcohol try several times before they get sober and move on. You can do it.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good idea to think about a different approach this time - more support can't hurt

are you leaning towards any particular method?
D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-03-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Tapering may have some benefit in those individuals with very chronic conditions of alcoholism so as to avoid possible DT's and convulsions - but even so a sensible medical detox can still work better then tapering, imo.

You're on the right track to inquire on other's experience - there is no requirement to do this (quitting) on your own unless that is your informed choice, and then so be it, it too can be successful.

Why do you, or did you, come to believe that tapering was an ideal method for quitting? Are your intentions to quit for good? or perhaps to just take a break from drinking while you get all your ducks in a row and then what?

Quitting really does work and is its own best reward, and the sooner you can just quit, the better off you are, imo.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dust yourself off, pick yourself up, mark the x in the sand to know you won't land here ever again. Find a meeting place and immerse yourself in your journey of recovery. Welcome Back!!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AlmA

Iopu....

Sorry you trip over...
but what do you do when you Trip????
Get up and start again...

Keep the good work...!!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Use it, you had a drink ,cold or whatever the hope was that you'd reset the system, and you now know you can't. So the good thing is you never need to worry about drinking.
Just start again and work on those times it's difficult. It gets easier once life gains that extra meaning without drink.
Don't wait it doesn't get better, and don't wait till your physically I'll.
Most people fail a few times ,the trick is to carry on till you really love life sober.
Well good luck.
John