Notices

Has alcohol affected your health?

Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had it all...acid reflux, very high bp, tremors, over weight, elevated liver enzymes, fatty liver, vomiting, anxiety...etc...checked into detox and couldn't fill out the forms because I was shaking so badly...now that I have been sober for a couple of years, all the negative health issues described have gone away. So to answer your question, yes...it was all caused by alcohol consumption over 20 years. I just had my physical and all was good across the board. I don't miss those days at all...life is good
Old 01-11-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah it did effect mine. Most of the effects have already been posted here so I won't go into details, but I did experience pain in my right side (liver/gall bladder zone) also. About 80 days since my last drink and that is now going away. And yeah my acid reflux pretty much went away also. All the others went away as well. I like what someone said earlier, I also never heard anyone say how much better they feel physically since they started drinking.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I discovered SoberRecovery as I searched the internet for information about all the things that were going wrong with my body due to my alcohol consumption.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and acid reflux. I had a suspicion it was due to my alcohol consumption (naturally I lied to my GI doc about my alcohol consumption). I stumbled across various threads on SoberRecovery in which folks described all the damage caused by their alcohol consumption . . . despite this, I kept drinking.

I've been lurking on this site since then, the physical toll of drinking getting worse, yet unwilling to quit . . . I probably told myself "just one more night of drinking and then I'll quit" a 1000 times.

Anyway, I hope that the next person who stumbles across this site learns a bit more quickly than I did. Please, do yourself a favor and quit drinking.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

High blood pressure, weight gain, awful skin, tachycardia -- and all the mental ones previously mentioned.

I didn't realize how horrible I felt in general ALL the time until I stopped drinking and started feeling really good. Getting up is now a glorious part of my day because every time I wake up, I realize how fantastic it is to not be hungover.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Tons of mental health issues, weight gain, easy bruising, premature ventricular contractions, neuropathy involving tingling and numbness in hands and feet with spasms, pretty serious pain in my knees, hips, elbows, and jaw when hungover.

I've also had injuries along the way. Here are a few that spring to mind- I sprained my ankle really badly walking a train track like a balance beam in platform shoes. I fell (again in platforms WTF!) face first into the corner of a concrete step and broke my nose. AND my crowning achievement... I fractured a neck vertebrae in a snow "tubing" accident while drunk.

I'm glad I thought about this and wrote it out. I've never really looked at it all at once. SMH
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Gastritis(with very bad heartburn), high blood pressure, weight gain(50+ pounds), elevated liver enzymes, anxiety, depression, and general disregard for my appearance(clothing, shaving, bathing, etc). Coming off of alcohol, I've had a racing heart(from withdrawal) which is pretty scary.