Notices

Has alcohol affected your health?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has alcohol affected your health?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum or if this has been asked before. Being that I have been a heavy binge drinker for 15-16 years I worry about what I may have done to my body. I already know I have acid reflux and I can almost bet it is from alcohol because it gets really bad the night after drinking. I also have a lot of stomach problems too and once had my liver enzymes elevated which scared the crap outta me. So have any of you had problems with your health do to alcohol? Or suspect things are caused by alcohol?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh totally. When I was drinking I had awful intestinal issues, liquid diarrhea almost daily. My eyesight started failing. Awful back and kidney pain. My skin was super dry. I was bloated and overweight even though I almost never ate much food. Some of my back teeth even started getting kind of loose. I had so many falls and accidents - terrible balance. It was so gross.

It's been over two year since I took a drink or smoked a cigarette. I'm now a yoga instructor at one of the most popular studios in my city. Everything has changed. All I had to do was lay down my chemical baggage and commit to never, ever picking it back up.

So much love to you...xoxoxo
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Suspected things?...Oh ya! So much so that it honestly kept me drinking 24/7 despite the shaking, vomiting, and umm...well you name it. I was absolutely convinced that I had cirrhosis. So with that mindset I continued, figuring that I would just go ahead and finish myself off. I was absolutely convinced I was beyond the point of repair.
Obsessively "webmd-ing" my symptoms was not exactly giving me any hope as they did match that of what I feared.
I'm still not entirely certain what to call it yet but long story short 7/19/13 I quit. Cold turkey quit which was ill advised of my counselor at the time. Again I will clarify I was literally 24/7, drink to stop shaking and vomiting 24/7. I had my first physical in about 10 years the following month and miraculously my doctor told me and I quote, "you are in amazing shape." We joked about whether or not he had the right results as he himself is a recovering addict. He then told me I dodged a bullet there and that the liver is an amazing organ capable of regenerating itself even after a ton of abuse HOWEVER one day, if you keep going it will quit...without warning either he said. Sorry if this was long winded just wanted to share and hope that it helps ya.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup. Terrible acid reflux, like you. Later in my drinking I put on a lot of weight and had physial problems related to that, like back, knee and hip issues. I also developed tachycardia - an issue with my heart.

My mental health was very badly affected. I was suicidally depressed. When I stopped drinking, the deep depression went away.

So it's not just your liver and other organs that are affected. Your entire physical being is affected by alcohol.

In my earlier drinking years I had a lot of accidents when I was drunk, like falling over in the middle of the road, off balconies, out of windows etc and ended up with neck and back injuries that I still give me problems 20 years later.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Gained a lot of weight and just felt horrible psychically. I wasn't getting good sleep and my stress levels and anxiety were through the roof so my blood pressure was very high.

The physical ailments were not as bad as the mental goodies I experienced while drinking. Anxiety, depression, trust issues with myself, paranoia, anti-social, insecurity, low self-worth, shame, the list goes on and on.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG the paranoia. I forgot about that. It was crippling.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have to go to the DR in a week to get my liver checked out. Before my last detox there was elevated enzymes in my liver and elevated calcium. When they took blood something showed I might have gallbladder disease, so they did an ultrasound on all my vital organs. Luckily I didn't have that, but it was 50/50 that day I would need my gallbladder removed. They said the problems were from my drinking.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had acid reflux like clock work the day after drinking which made me vomit or dry retch. I love spicy food and towards the end of my drinking I had to stop eating curries completely due to stomach cramps. I had diarrhoea every day, puffy finger, fat swollen ankles, dry wrinkly skin that was red and blotchy on my face. I felt exhausted all the time, an 8 hour shift felt like a marathon. I ate crap like pizza all the time as I couldn't be bothered to cook. The result of my horrible diet has been a weight gain of at least 25 pounds.3 months sober I feel better but don't have the energy back yet. Not surprising as I have abused my body almost daily for 16 years.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh you all reminded me of my mental issues. I have always had anxiety but never even thought it could be due to drinking so much. Now I correlate it completely. After I would tie one on I would have horrible panic and sweats the next day. This is why i pray i am done with this poison!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Let's see... panic, anxiety attacks, the ***** horrible, shaking, sweats, paranoia, fear, balance problems, falling (resulting in broken ribs and cuts), depression really bad, dehydration, losing weight. This is all happing to me. I am a hot mess.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is poison. And it hurts.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep, liver and pancreas damage, pre-diabetic, fat, ugly, alopecia of the beard.

All fixed within a year of giving up.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There were things going on that I'm still learning about.

Recovering from the stuff it was doing to my mind has been most interesting.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think I dodged the bullet,but I don't know where my health would be if I hadn't drank like I did. I had to start wearing glasses when I turned about 43.
I think I am in excellent health for someone that drank for 30 years and smoked for 20. I am lucky.

I honestly believe the info in this book helped to get me sober.
Alcoholism Treatment Program, Alcoholism Addition Treatment
They know what alcohol does to the body and the vitamins it depletes.
I believe in this book as much as Carol believed in hers (Under the influence).
I eventually replaced booze with chocolate.
I quit taking the vitamins a year or 2 after I quit. The last couple years I havn't been able to walk by a candy bar display without buying one or going nuts.
I started taking a few of the vitamins again a couple weeks ago,and I can tell the difference. It is not in my head. It is working. Just like it got me over the hump when I quit drinking.
Fred
Old 01-11-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Try some Activa ,it really works .
Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
Oh you all reminded me of my mental issues. I have always had anxiety but never even thought it could be due to drinking so much. Now I correlate it completely. After I would tie one on I would have horrible panic and sweats the next day. This is why i pray i am done with this poison!
Been there ,done that .

Yes it causes anxiety .

Google ,alcohol effects on receptors .
Old 01-11-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My doctor says "Alcohol is the single worst thing you can do if you have acid reflux .

At one time I was taking 2x30mg prevacid daily ,and 4 x1 gm Carafate a day -6 pills a day . Most months I take none ,once in a while I will have to go back on the meds 1-2 days .

No heartburn at night at all ,now .
Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

yes . . . I have terrible GERD, a hital hernia, and Barrett's esophagus.

I've had these for a few years, and sadly, it was only five days ago that I decided to get sober. For years I was in terrible pain, but no matter what I would keep drinking.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah - I've never met anyone who said, "After I starting heavy heavy drinking - my life and health got soooo much better!!" I had a lot of the same issues people here did - after I quit - most of it went away (still trying to lose weight) but everyone who has not seen me in a few months always comments how good/healthy I look