Notices

Question-Alcohol verses Pot

Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question-Alcohol verses Pot

I have something I am curious about and just wanted some feed back! Can a non-functional Alcoholic throw out the beer and just start smoking pot wo it becoming the next issue? I don't have any issues w drinking and have no experience w pot. However, I have loved an A before and heard him say he really just prefers pot but it's illegal. I wondered about states making it legal and if it would make things worse for the addict. Thank you in advance for your time.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi shadydeal - welcome

I had the same problems with pot I had with alcohol later, so it's a big NO from me.

Both were about running away, escaping from reality - and both came to rule (and destroy) my life.

That's my story tho - what others do, or legislate for, I have no control over

D
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee74! My thoughts too but curious!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started smoking weed young and it didn't effect me from graduating HS, going to college, or doing what I needed to get done in my life. Once I started drinking a lot that's when the problems started. Weed doesn't allow you to just make your body and mind numb. It can help with anxiety and help you relax, but it's nothing like alcohol in the sense of just getting hammered so you don't have to deal with anything. It's a huge difference.

Although the first time you smoke and first few months you smoke you'll get extremely baked, but once you and your body get use to it, it doesn't do that much to you.

I stopped smoking weed 4-5 months ago because I simply wanted the effects of alcohol. I didn't want weed to interfere with my buzz. I smoked everyday for a long time and my life was fine, then alcohol came along and messed everything up.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

id say it probably depends on the person ... people can certainly be addicted (at least mentally) to marijuana ... even when drinking i rarely smoked - and it was usually with one or two people and watch a movie, maybe go surf or fish , or just a couple hits alone then sit and read a book or study for tests or go jog .. i never used it in an abusive manner at all - which is odd/
Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safe2breathe View Post
id say it probably depends on the person ... people can certainly be addicted (at least mentally) to marijuana ... even when drinking i rarely smoked - and it was usually with one or two people and watch a movie, maybe go surf or fish , or just a couple hits alone then sit and read a book or study for tests or go jog .. i never used it in an abusive manner at all - which is odd/
Yeah you can become mentally addicted to weed, but I smoked everyday for 5+ years and just quit and didn't even miss it...still don't really. I was a huge stoner too before alcohol.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a very popular belief now that Marijuana in any amount is harmless. People believe this whether they smoke or not. They see celebrities endorse it. They see movies portray it as sort of "whatever" its just weed. A lot of people seem to think it's ok to drive stoned and that drinking and driving is a whole other thing. Meanwhile it's a schedule 1 drug in the US. I don't understand the national confusion we have on this substance. I know from second hand experience that it can really mess someone up.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
It's a very popular belief now that Marijuana in any amount is harmless. People believe this whether they smoke or not. They see celebrities endorse it. They see movies portray it as sort of "whatever" its just weed. A lot of people seem to think it's ok to drive stoned and that drinking and driving is a whole other thing. Meanwhile it's a schedule 1 drug in the US. I don't understand the national confusion we have on this substance. I know from second hand experience that it can really mess someone up.
Weed shouldn't even be illegal. I truly don't think weed alone can mess someone's life up. Second hand experience really isn't anything either. Unless you've smoked weed and more then a few times, you really don't understand it.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't you think there's a reason? Or all those people are just crazy?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan
I truly don't think weed alone can mess someone's life up.
Did you read my post?
Just because it's not your experience doesn't mean it doesn't or cannot happen BSF.

D
Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Did you read my post?
Just because it's not your experience doesn't mean it doesn't or cannot happen BSF.

D
I read your post, but I don't understand how weed did that too you. What happened that weed was the sole cause?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
Don't you think there's a reason? Or all those people are just crazy?
I rather not endorse it for the heavy smokers that claim it has no negative effect on their life and just speak out for people that I know of that have had problems like drug induced psychosis for extended periods of time. people have a lot of serious negative effects from marijuana but you don't have to take my word for it. You can make up your own mind
Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I rather not endorse it for the heavy smokers that claim it has no negative effect on their life and just speak out for people that I know of that have had problems like drug induced psychosis for extended periods of time. people have a lot of serious negative effects from marijuana but you don't have to take my word for it. You can make up your own mind
Smoking weed is bad for your lungs.

Did you mean weed from the bold part?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smoking weed is bad for your lungs.

Did you mean weed from the bold part?
of course i mean marijuana. I'm not going to argue with you . im just telling you my experience
Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

of course i mean marijuana. I'm not going to argue with you . im just telling you my experience
I'm not trying to argue, I'm just telling you my experience.

You know someone who was in a drug induced psychosis from simply smoking weed?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I read your post, but I don't understand how weed did that too you. What happened that weed was the sole cause?
I was a weed smoker long before I was a drinker. I smoked daily for 30 years. I only really got into drinking when I gave up pot...or at least daily smoking...

But the same escape from reality thing was there...which gradually grew from and escape to being my whole life - I needed to be stoned for everything....I blew things off, I let people down, I shut them out for my weed...all the things that I did later again with alcohol, I did with pot first.

I have friends who still smoke - they're fifty year old men living in their mothers basements who never had a real job in their lives...some of them have lung diseases like COPD and emphysema.

I blame pot for that.

Some of them have decade long depression or other mental disorders.
I've lost other friends through mental illness that I believe was bought on by marijuana smoking.

You don't have to believe me BSF - like I said above I have no control over what you or anyone else thinks - but thats a few examples from my personal experience where I've seen weed alone can mess up a persons life.

D
Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was a weed smoker long before I was a drinker. I smoked daily for 30 years. I only really got into drinking when I gave up pot...

But the same escape from reality thing was there...which gradually grew from and escape to my whole life - I blew things off, I let people down, I shut them out for my weed...all the things that I did later again with alcohol, I did with pot first.

I have friends who still smoke - they're fifty year old men living in their mothers basements who never had a real job in their lives...some of them have lung diseases like COPD and emphysema.

I blame pot for that.

Some of them have decade long depression or other mental disorders.
I've lost other friends through mental illness that I believe was bought on by marijuana smoking.

You don't have to believe me BSF - like I said above I have no control over what you or anyone else thinks - but thats a few examples from my personal experience where I've seen weed alone can mess up a persons life.

D
I personally don't believe weed could cause someone 50+ to live in his mothers basement...chances are that said person had a lot of other problems that caused that. That just doesn't make any sense to me, just my 2 cents.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL ok...I would have argued the same back in the day...and my friends still don't blame pot.
Funny that.

I'll leave it there then.

D
Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LOL ok...I would have argued the same back in the day...and my friends still don't blame pot.
Funny that.

I'll leave it there then.

D
Fair enough

I don't think pot has no negative effects, but if used right I don't see an issue. For example coming home from work and smoking a joint with your friends/spouse, etc. Kinda like having 1 glass of wine or a beer. If used correctly I don't think weed or alcohol is an issue. If you get hammered all day or sit around and rip bongs to your face and do nothing...you have a problem. I've always said I don't think alcohol is the issue...it's me. Same with weed. I don't think weed is the problem...it's the person smoking it.

Again just my 2 cents.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I lived with a Hippy once who used to love to point out every time I would awake with another shocking hangover "Man its better to smoke and fly than to drink and drive".
I never really took up Pot but I can now see his point.
I work in the mining industry where we get routinely tested for drugs and alcohol. A functioning alcoholic can come to work and if he is smart will never blow numbers. A meth addict can going tweeking on his R&R and after a couple of days have it out of his system and go to work with all the health problems Ice brings on. An otherwise occasional pot smoker can have a joint in between a surf session on his time off from site and because cannaboids stay in the system for weeks before being fully excreted will get tagged in a return to work screen and lose his job. I think there is something very unfair about that.