Notices

Question-Alcohol verses Pot

Old 01-10-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

It depends on the person, I think. The substances aren't the problem. People are a problem. Trying to shift blame towards "evil alcohol" or "evil marijuana" is a cop out. Plenty of people are able to recreationally use both substances without any problems. Most of us can't do that, but that had nothing to do with the drugs. It's our brains.

I can smoke weed once in a while without wanting to drink. Figuring that out probably wasn't smart though. It could have gone either way, I am sure. But hey, had I raised, that would have been my fault. Not the fault of a plant.

At least, that's how I see it.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

"I know we've all read the scientific studies that say it's not addictive and that there are no side effects. But scientists don't smoke pot, we do. And that's the difference. Look, all I'm saying is if you still wanna smoke pot, then be prepared to spend a lot of time laughing with your friends. Think about it."

GEOFFREY JELLINECK, Strangers with Candy, "The Trip Back" (1999)

Strangers with Candy - Series | Comedy Central Official Site | ComedyCentral.com
Old 01-10-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by FinallyFinished View Post
It depends on the person, I think. The substances aren't the problem. People are a problem. Trying to shift blame towards "evil alcohol" or "evil marijuana" is a cop out. Plenty of people are able to recreationally use both substances without any problems. Most of us can't do that, but that had nothing to do with the drugs. It's our brains.

I can smoke weed once in a while without wanting to drink. Figuring that out probably wasn't smart though. It could have gone either way, I am sure. But hey, had I raised, that would have been my fault. Not the fault of a plant.

At least, that's how I see it.
I agree blaming the substance itself is useless. Saying its the fault of the people, or our brains, is also a cop-out, I think. Its certainly the "fault and consequence" of an active addiction or dependence on the drug which is the real issue, imo.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
"I know we've all read the scientific studies that say it's not addictive and that there are no side effects. But scientists don't smoke pot, we do. And that's the difference. Look, all I'm saying is if you still wanna smoke pot, then be prepared to spend a lot of time laughing with your friends. Think about it."

GEOFFREY JELLINECK, Strangers with Candy, "The Trip Back" (1999)

Strangers with Candy - Series | Comedy Central Official Site | ComedyCentral.com
Well, weed was certainly mentally addictive for me. Physically addictive, no. My psyche though was completely addicted to using pot, for many years. Just because the addiction was not physical didn't mean things were okay or easy either.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am one of the people that can smoke here and there with no problem. For me, I feel as though I am a "normal smoker", as most people are normal drinkers. I don't like the feeling of being blazed out of my mind, but every now and again a few hits is nice.
I never felt I was replacing alcohol with weed cuz the affect it has on me is so completely different.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am one of the people that can smoke here and there with no problem. For me, I feel as though I am a "normal smoker", as most people are normal drinkers.
I was always the same way with pot too: a normal smoker the way people are normal drinkers. I chose to completely abstain because I am an alcoholic and there is always a risk I would substitute one addiction for another. I am not willing to take that risk, it's not worth it for me plus while smoking here and there was nice it's something I can do without, no biggie.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I love this thread, lol.

People taking their own pot-smoking experiences out of context from their own lives, no less. How weirdly easy for people in one thread to say their okay with whatever, and in a different thread from a different time talk about their struggles with living, and they don't make their own obvious connections with their own back story on why they are sharing on a sober recovery message board no less.

Amazing.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Robby, you're enjoying this a little too much. I am safe from addiction only to beets. I hate beets.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
jkb

For me living in a place where pot is legal I have seen some great things happen as a result. Bringing in lots of $$$ and even the cops readily admit they would rather deal with a pot smoker than a drunk.

For me I smoked pot on and off occasionally for years. It never bothered me and I never became addicted to it in anyway. I got a really good job and didn't want to chance a drug screen so I quit with no problems. I believe that yes it is possible for an alcoholic to moderately smoke pot.... Just my experience.

Jess
Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

People taking their own pot-smoking experiences out of context from their own lives, no less. How weirdly easy for people in one thread to say their okay with whatever, and in a different thread from a different time talk about their struggles with living, and they don't make their own obvious connections with their own back story on why they are sharing on a sober recovery message board no less.
Is it in reference to my post? I just shared that I chose to abstain from pot altogether because I have an addictive personality and I cannot afford to substitute one drug for another so even though I might have smoked pot here and there the way a normie might have a glass of wine sometimes, it makes perfect sense for me not to touch the thing.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

People under the influence of cannabis do not exhibit the aggression and delusional thinking of a drunk and they do not stink either.
I disagree.

I've seen one of my friends attack another cos he was looking at him funny and 'rearranging his thoughts'.

aggression check.

I more than once hid in my room - like under the bed hid - for hours because the police were outside.

They weren't.

delusion check.

and until you've been in the same room as 3 other smokers after a weekend long session, don't talk to me about stink. Skunk stinks - it permeates everything - hair clothing furniture everything.

I can still smell it on people 100m away today.

D
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

This is something I have toyed with, because I live in one of the two states where pot is now legal. I never had a problem with it and smoked it maybe -1-2x a year before it became legal. I'm only 4.5 months into recovery from alcoholism, so I'm just leaving it alone for now. I do have a medical condition that causes pain. One night I was in a bad state and smoked some and it completely rid me of the pain and in fact I felt better after that once it wore off. I haven't come to any conclusions.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

seeing as the OP seems satisfied and seeing as this is a recovery site, I declare this thread closed.