Notices

Major panic attacks

Old 01-05-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major panic attacks

I'm still drinking and my anxiety is off the charts. Had a panic attack at work on Friday and still feel so sad about it. Have to go to work tomorrow and my anxiety is building fast. I'm so tired. I've lost 10 pounds in the last few weeks and can hardly force myself to eat. I feel like throwing in the towel.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had horrible anxiety towards the end of my maintenance drinking phase. Not surprisingly, quitting made most of it go away. Are you thinking of quitting?
Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know I have to because I feel like I'm dying. Wish it was easy.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anxiety has been a major issue for me and I've needed to take medication to address it.

Have you talked to a dr about stopping drinking? Thought about a detox?

That cycle of anxiety and drinking is a horrible place to be. I feel for you.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It is hard but doable. Give it a go xxx
Old 01-05-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am scared to go to work tomorrow because I'm jumping out of my skin. And I can't eat. I just want to cry.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anxiety was terrible at the end of my drinking and then subsequent sobering up. Going out for a walk will sometimes help - not sure if it's the fresh air or moving around. Saying the serenity prayer while I was driving to work..........
Old 01-05-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Can't you take some sick leave and see your doctor?
Old 01-05-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm going to see if I can take some sick leave. I need it. I feel like all eyes are on me and that I'm pathetic.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People ask about how your drinking affects your work? THIS is a great example. During my drinking days, I had to be hospitalized in the ER once for panic attacks. Another time I had to drive to a clinic for emergency doctor's visit. I experienced many other debilitating attacks as well that kept me inside for days and could not work.

When I quit drinking, I got off all medication. No more ER or doctor visits for panic issues. Sure I've had battles, but nothing like those drinking days.

You will need to stop drinking. They will only get worse. The crazy part is that you are going through hell, but you are still clinging to the bottle. Just let go, and you'll be much better.... Good luck.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What is horrible is that my parents had me in the ER one time with a .8, yes .8 and the doctors said I should be dead. How am I alive. Another time it was a .487. I am so stupid.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Kayla, you're not stupid. You're sick. Alcoholism is a disease.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't worry about what people think at work. Take time off, go see your doctor to detox and find a program that will work for you. AA, rational recovery, Smart recovery etc.

Specially if you are no eating, your body can't do that for long. Get help, and we are here also for support when you need us.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The last 3-4 months of drinking I had a major panic attack every day and would have to drink it away. I never really had bad anxiety, but withdrawal panic attacks were awful. Once I quit drinking they went away.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You're, nor stupid or pathetic, you aren't well. xxxxxx
Old 01-05-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Don't get me wrong but if you truly want to quit as you said on 2nd post, don't look for an easy way out but let your body just go thru the withdrawals! It's hard & uncomfortable but when it's all over in 3-5 days, you will recoil from alc as a hot stove the next time you even have the thot of picking up again
You CAN do it!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

anxiety and panic are what drove me to quit in the end. it was so unbearable. i'd have panic attacks while driving i was terrified i'd kill someone or myself etc.. I have no idea how i held down my job. the ONLY reason i quit at the time was because i read somewhere that drinking can cause panic and i had already tired all sorts of other things to try and help that panic go away.

On a whim i thought I guess i'll give this sober nonsense a try. it certainly was no easy. but i'm over 2 years sober now and its rare i have a panic attack and my anxiety is manageable.

I hate to say it but untill you quit its just going to get worse. I found I had to drink earlier and earlier in the day to take that edge off and to keep the panic at bay etc.. the early days of sobriety where certainly not easy. I work from home so thank god for that but if i had to go into work I'm not sure I would have made it. I'm not sure i would have even made it to quit time really with how bad the panic was.

Best you can do is bite the bullet and quit.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
anxiety and panic are what drove me to quit in the end. it was so unbearable. i'd have panic attacks while driving i was terrified i'd kill someone or myself etc.. I have no idea how i held down my job. the ONLY reason i quit at the time was because i read somewhere that drinking can cause panic and i had already tired all sorts of other things to try and help that panic go away.

On a whim i thought I guess i'll give this sober nonsense a try. it certainly was no easy. but i'm over 2 years sober now and its rare i have a panic attack and my anxiety is manageable.

I hate to say it but untill you quit its just going to get worse. I found I had to drink earlier and earlier in the day to take that edge off and to keep the panic at bay etc.. the early days of sobriety where certainly not easy. I work from home so thank god for that but if i had to go into work I'm not sure I would have made it. I'm not sure i would have even made it to quit time really with how bad the panic was.

Best you can do is bite the bullet and quit.
Nice post and good advice.

I knew I needed to stop drinking for the panic attacks to go away and soon as I quit they did. I had a relapse and quit again, but quitting the first time made the massive panic attacks finally go away, along with the other issues. Drinking wont make anything better.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Kayla;
I had panic and anxiety which were getting worse and worse until I quit.

Please see your doctor and get some help with meds if needed and quit.

I have no anxiety or panic attacks any more and I feel much clearer and better
emotionally. You will feel better too
Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My anxiety attacks were terrible ,and the depression was borderline suicidal .

When I quit totally they are gone ,I slip up and they come back .

I feel 80% better not drinking .

I once had an anxiety attack ,while about half drunk .