Notices

Major panic attacks

Old 01-05-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Kayla,

I am in the same situation--exactly. I feel the anxiety and panic super a lot when I go to work. Some days I barely leave my cube so I don't have to deal with anyone. BUT I remember how it used to be--when I was not drinking heavily (I just stopped this morning!), I was anxious but nothing like it has become. So, I know it gets better. I try little things to help. 1.) if it is allowed, listen to headphones. The music drowns out my panic and anxiety somewhat. 2.) take a walk at lunch--even if it is just for 10 minutes. 3.) chew or keep mints nearby. somehow the act of chewing can distract the anxiety a bit it seems. 4.) allow yourself to be anxious. I know I always think everyone KNOWS that I feel anxious--which in turn makes me more anxious. Very cyclical. BUT the truth is most people are so wrapped up in themselves they really aren't paying attention when we think they are. 5.) drink water all day. Again, it keeps you busy.

I hope this helps. I truly do know what you are going through and I'm sorry that you are. BUT you can work through it. It won't be easy, but it will get easier as the days go on.

And if all else fails, you *may* qualify for short-term disability while you get yourself on the right track.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
My anxiety attacks were terrible ,and the depression was borderline suicidal .

When I quit totally they are gone ,I slip up and they come back .

I feel 80% better not drinking .

I once had an anxiety attack ,while about half drunk .
I started to have panic attacks while drinking sometimes. That's when you know you gotta change your ways.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
anxiety and panic are what drove me to quit in the end. it was so unbearable. i'd have panic attacks while driving i was terrified i'd kill someone or myself etc.. I have no idea how i held down my job. the ONLY reason i quit at the time was because i read somewhere that drinking can cause panic and i had already tired all sorts of other things to try and help that panic go away.

On a whim i thought I guess i'll give this sober nonsense a try. it certainly was no easy. but i'm over 2 years sober now and its rare i have a panic attack and my anxiety is manageable.

I hate to say it but untill you quit its just going to get worse. I found I had to drink earlier and earlier in the day to take that edge off and to keep the panic at bay etc.. the early days of sobriety where certainly not easy. I work from home so thank god for that but if i had to go into work I'm not sure I would have made it. I'm not sure i would have even made it to quit time really with how bad the panic was.

Best you can do is bite the bullet and quit.
I would wake up at midnight and need 1-3 shots to kill the anxiety .
Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

Kayla please stop drinking and see a doctor. I really mean that. I know where you've been and it's indescribably wretched. It will only get worse if you keep drinking. Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was so bad at times I would dream I was having a panic attack. Since I quit drinking the panic attacks are gone. My panic attacks were usually triggered by social phobia which was made so much worse from drinking. I could not handle any situational anxiety when I was hungover ( which was always) and when my self-esteem was in the toilet. Any little social discomfort led me to complete melt down which I handled mostly by avoiding meetings and other social interactions and then drinking to oblivion every night. Don't know how I survived so long without being "found out" but it sucked. I am over 100 days sober now and it's a new world. Finally went to Dr and got on antidepressant and high blood pressure meds and feeling normal, no panic attacks, no overwhelming anxiety. Hope you get the help you need to quit drinking (safely).
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
MB8

Karate your posts kill me. " half drunk ". Lol. Sorry about your aunt and recent relapse. Get back up on that horse buddy and give it another go. Kayla, I've never had anxiety so I'm unable to speak to that issue. The one thing I can speak to is this. If you went to the ER with a BAL of .8 then the big man has better plans for you because you shouldn't even be with us. You must stop drinking. I know it's easier said than done but it's clearly not working for you. I'm sure your anxiety is completely because of the booze. I worked at a rehab for years. I would see drunks and drug addicts come in and would be filled with anxiety and depression. 28 days later they would leave new people. Not perfect but on the road to a much better life. Do what you have to do to not pick up and your life will improve by leaps and bounds. I'm guarantee it. I agree with others. Take sick time and get well. A sincere good luck to you. MB8
Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

aww kayla. sorry you are experiencing this. Please seek help now. Drinking will never be the same again.

I have also experienced the hellish anxiety/withdrawl/panic attacks you speak of. Near the end, I was still getting anxiety while drinking. The only way I could relive it was to be drinking insane amounts of hard alcohol - all day long. I be dead in no time with the amounts I needed. So I was just drinking just enough to keep me functioning. Was hell.
Waking up at 3 - 4 in the morning because of the shakes/withdrawls and having to drink a few shots to go back to bed was nothing short of insane.

Please get yourself into detox. Your life depends on it. I took time off work for detox and just showed up with a doctor's note - the next week. Everything was fine.

You dont haveto live like this anymore! drinking sucks and will never be the same for us ever again..
Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
aww kayla. sorry you are experiencing this. Please seek help now. Drinking will never be the same again.

I have also experienced the hellish anxiety/withdrawl/panic attacks you speak of. Near the end, I was still getting anxiety while drinking. The only way I could relive it was to be drinking insane amounts of hard alcohol - all day long. I be dead in no time with the amounts I needed. So I was just drinking just enough to keep me functioning. Was hell.
Waking up at 3 - 4 in the morning because of the shakes/withdrawls and having to drink a few shots to go back to bed was nothing short of insane.

Please get yourself into detox. Your life depends on it. I took time off work for detox and just showed up with a doctor's note - the next week. Everything was fine.

You dont haveto live like this anymore! drinking sucks and will never be the same for us ever again..
Kayla, I was just like this. Bad panic attacks, that I used dumb amounts of alcohol to make go away. Then waking up and drinking to go back to sleep or not being able to go back to sleep because I didn't have any more alcohol.

As Max said, get to a detox and get the help you need.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Almost time to leave for work. My hands are trembling pretty bad. I need to eat something. Going to be a very hard day. Just want to cry and cry.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Praying that you have a good day in spite of what is going on with you. You definitely need to go to the doctor and STOP DRINKING! The crying episodes and extreme sadness sound like me when I was drinking. They said I was clinically depressed for years. Well when I stopped drinking, I didn't feel depressed. I think because I loved not being hungover and always having the anxiety. That bottle is everything WORSE!!!!
I still have anxiety from time to time because I am a single mother and things sometimes become overwhelming but NOT NEARLY AS BAD AS WHEN I WAS TRYING TO BALANCE THE BOTTLE, JOB, DEPRESSION, motherhood, hangovers and every aspect of being an adult.

Let go and Let God.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think the onset of panic attacks were directly related to my alcoholism. Now, I was always an anxious, panicky kind of guy. And I drank to ease the panic, anything, really, to kill the angst.

At three years sober, the underlying anxiety is there, and in a way I am blessed that I can avoid situations that cause stress. Well, that also may be a detriment in that it fosters avoidance behavior. But the anxiety and panic has eased a thousandfold now that I have significant sober time under my belt.

But I do think anxiety is one of those end-stage alcoholism signals. I would strongly urge you to get medical help for a detox, and that would certainly mean some leave time from work, leave time from all stress, actually.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
jkb

Hi Kayla50-
When I read a post like this it really takes me back to a place that I am so glad I am no longer in. I had the terrible panic attacks as well when I was drinking (normally the day after drinking). I actually went to a doctor and got prescribed anxiety meds. They opened a whole new "can of worms".

Since I quit drinking the panic attacks have practically gone away. I still get one here and there but, nothing like the anxious hell I lived in when drinking.

Good luck,
Jess
Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Where you're at is where I was at when I finally entered recovery. Except I couldn't function at all any more. Couldn't get out of the house, even with the help of alcohol. Couldn't eat. Couldn't even speak to anyone without gagging and dry heaving. I threw the towel in, landed in a detox, then AA, a rehab, and some additional aftercare. The panic didnt disappear immediately but became somewhat manageable once the alcohol was gone. Through all the care I got once the drink was down I learned to manage and eventually heal my anxiety, panic, and phobias. And I did that without any medication.

Let it be known that alcohol acts as though it relieves panic, yet it actually causes and makes it worse.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

If you don't quit ,It may progress to where you have them while drinking .

That's a real bad place . Been there

Looking back ,with what I have learned here .I was in major danger of a seizure .
Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

If you don't quit ,It may progress to where you have them while drinking .

That's a real bad place . Been there

Looking back ,with what I have learned here .I was in major danger of a seizure .
I started having them while drinking. Not often, but sometimes. Glad I stopped before it got worse.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I started having them while drinking. Not often, but sometimes. Glad I stopped before it got worse.

Pretty damn scary . The very thing to stop them -stops working.

I really thought I was going insane ,Had wife driving me to get whiskey ,bet I was legally drunk . Still had an anxiety attack.

BAD PLACE to be .
Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Pretty damn scary . The very thing to stop them -stops working.

I really thought I was going insane ,Had wife driving me to get whiskey ,bet I was legally drunk . Still had an anxiety attack.

BAD PLACE to be .
Yeah it's not fun. I'd usually start having a panic attack and drink it off. Then sometimes, not often, but sometimes I'd be 4 or 5 drinks deep and it would come back. Not a good time.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Kayla, do you see any sort of therapist or on any medication. I hope you seek some help. I too have had anxiety and panic attacks. Since I stopped drinking they have gotten much better. We are all here for you.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Having a really hard day. Stayed at home because I am a mess. Feel very alone, anxious, sad and angry with myself.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi Kayla ! You are not alone. It sounds like you need medical attention for the potential physical and mental side effects from withdrawal.

Can you contact a doctor? Oftentimes you can do an outpatient detox if you agree to therapy.