Notices

Aa

Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCouch View Post
AA saved my life and the program has showed me a new way to live.

Not only am I learning to not pick up a drink, one day at a time; I'm learning how to act like an adult. I'm learning that the only way to treat my spirit, is to offer my hand and help to others. I'm growing in ways I never expected when I first walked into the rooms in January of 2011.

My sponsor used to tell me, if I didn't pick up a drink and I worked the steps, I would have a new freedom. I would simply have a life better than in my drunken dreams. He mentioned certain promises as well. Some of them have come true already. Some of the progressed slowly and I didn't even realize the promises as they happened.

While my life isn't exactly they way I want it to be, I'm learning to accept life as EXACTLY as it is supposed to be.

I wish you well. As a result of getting into the center of AA, I just recently pulled off three years of sobriety on 1.2.2014. And this is from a guy who drank like a pig.

SC
Thanks for the reply. It makes me think I could one day live alcohol free and be content with that. I've started to live by the "1 day at a time". It's impossible for me to think I'll never drink again at 21, but I can not drink today. That's possible.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey Boston,
AA is not allowed to kill you, eat you, take away your last name, or kidnap you. I have been to a lot of meetings and AA along with SR were instrumental in my staying sober after hospital detox.

AA was nothing like I thought. I stayed long enough to get all I needed and now just use SR. Not angry or disappointed with them.

However, I am reading all of these questions over days that you can put to rest in one hour of your time. What is all this? Go see.

Isn't it about time to stop getting ready, and start getting to it? You have nothing to lose, what are you waiting for?

If AA is not for you you'll know then. Do give it a few meetings though. See each group has a different flavor. If you don't like the first, try another. AA is try before you commit to anything, and that is only to yourself not the group.

Here:
Old 01-04-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Good advice from Itchy above.

Hay, I thought we had a bet? My prediction is that you will like your first meeting. You will owe me one of these if you do.

I'm prepared to pay if you don't, and I'll take your word for it.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Good advice from Itchy above.

Hay, I thought we had a bet? My prediction is that you will like your first meeting. You will owe me one of these if you do.

I'm prepared to pay if you don't, and I'll take your word for it.

I've actually attended 12 or 13 through detox, but never on my own. I actually started going to online AA meeting's. Might sound dumb, but was actually pretty cool. Most of them go to regular AA's meetings and use it as extra support.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I actually started going to online AA meeting's. Might sound dumb, but was actually pretty cool. Most of them go to regular AA's meetings and use it as extra support.
I don't think that sounds dumb at all. You are reaching out and looking for a better way. That is always a good thing.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I don't think that sounds dumb at all. You are reaching out and looking for a better way. That is always a good thing.
It's not bad. Everything is the same expect it's people in a chat room typing instead of people in a room talking.