Notices

Ashamed and sick

Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

HI Pooky, it's nice to hear from you again and that you are still kicking. You are a survivor, and you will not give up until you get this. I know you can do it.

Do you have that understanding that you not only cannot drink, but that you have chosen not to drink? You don't have to do this anymore, any of it. We all know what happens after that first one, but before that first drink, it's all you.

SR support is still here for you, operators are standing by.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Pooky

I know exactly how you feel. I was so frustrated that I couldn't stay stopped even with attending AA meetings, having a sponsor, etc. One key difference was I found SR and had a moment of clarity. The key was to keep persevering and never giving up. YOu've had 6 weeks which is great. As long as you keep trying, you will progress. And also, dont beat yourself up. That has no beenfit for you. Just leave the past where it belongs, in the past.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Also remember that alcoholism is a mental illness - your brain will come up with reasons to not go to meetings etc in order to protect your addiction - your brain craves the booze and will keep coming up with defenses. Try to disregard feelings and do what you think might work, not what you feel might work. We all do this before getting sober - we look at all that is wrong with AA or any other group that might help us - we are good at coming up with ways to compare our differences rather than seeing our similarities to other addicts. A good friend of mine often said "I can't fix this head with this head." Some trust enters into it - All we need to begin is an admission of powerlessness - do you feel your life has become unmanageable and that alcohol is calling the shots? If so, you qualify . Just do the hard thing and give it another go - and try to just hang even I it doesn't feel right - feelings are a bad way to judge right and wrong when we are sick.