Notices

Another try.Need new advice please.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another try.Need new advice please.

I have suffered with alcoholism and anxiety and that vicious cycle for most of my adult life and after some success with AA a couple of years back i foolishly decided to go out as they say and i have been drinking heavily almost daily now for the past year..and the physical and emotional toll has been through the roof..I am day 4 without drinking and am really feeling the horrors..all kinds of odd sensations i never had to this level in many years..aches and pains in my neck and shoulders,feeling like my breathing is out of balance ..making my upper body feel almost dislocated if that makes ant sense.I'm glad I found this forum ..I'm using all the old standbys,herbal tea,vitamins and hydration..trying to sleep but the depression and nightmares are very intrusive.I've had a few lengthy periods of sobriety in my life which helped control or diminish the anxiety ..if anyone has any advice for me i would be grateful..because alcoholism is progressive so is my withdrawl and anxiety..like frightening.I'd like to hear some of your experiences or breakthroughs because I am so tired of living or not living this way. thank you all.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sailor

My advice is, if you feel bad, see a Dr - detox is nothing to mess with.

Are you considering going back to AA?
D
Old 12-06-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Find an outpatient addiction counselor/psychologist to meet with once a week. It will help you to feel accountable for your sobriety again. Once you get a few months in it should start to get easier for you. This was my breakthrough moment, meeting face to face with someone and discussing your problem really brings it to the forefront. If you respect their professional opinion you won't want to fail in front of them, at least I didn't. Before too long I was beyond the worst of the mental cravings.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

You might want to check out this thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ng-effect.html
Not to scare you but like Dee said you might want to see a doctor.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am considering Returning to AA once i get through this horrid anxiety although i found it to be just as clique like as the music biz at times which i was once heavily involved in,20 years of severe anxiety seems to be the catalyst that ends up driving me back to the ridiculous notion that drinking for me is a good idea....I guess i'm hoping to hear of some natural solutions which i haven't tried yet.I've had CBT and been on a few SSRI's..i'm open and listening and willing..just can't live on this horrible treadmill anymore.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

There is lots of different help out there. I struggled for years on and off the booze but got there in the end. But as others have said, it might be a good idea to see your doctor. Good luck. You can do it! xxx
Old 12-06-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks,guys..it sure helps having this forum..especially when home detoxing not so isolated!(I've detoxed in a facility and at home a number of times and not sure which i feel was worse last time i was in detox ..the nurse went home without assigning anyone to me so i just lay there and shook most of the first day) ..took all of your advice so far and am seeing a doctor on Monday..have to get sober then deal with what is at the heart of this all..once and for all.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LifeRing Secular Recovery Meeting. Daytox. 377 - 2nd Avenue. Saturdays. 4:00 - 5:00pm.
that's in Vancouver.
i mention it because it's today in your town, and would also be an opportunity to check out the daytox program.
this meeting is open to anyone, though people are mostly from daytox and generally very newly sober/clean. much like you.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi sailor,
check out the Secular forum on the site which has links to other options besides AA

Glad you are going to the doctor. Hang in there.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sailor. I'm so glad you're not giving up on living a sober life. You never have to go back to that miserable place again. We know you can do it.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi. I understand the anxiety going back to AA, I did it too many times. During that period I never received a negative comment, most comments were KEEP COMING, it works IF we work it. Many years later I find that so true. A lot of people don't, can't get honest with themselves about their drinking, I couldn't. When my moment came I immersed myself in the fellowship and started following examples of those successful for a period of time.

BE WELL
Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailor49 View Post

I have suffered with alcoholism and anxiety and that vicious cycle for most of my adult life and after some success with AA a couple of years back i foolishly decided to go out
I also went back out a few times after being sober

AA was always there waiting for my return

along with this site and other positive things you are doing

a trip back to AA would probably be good reinforcement for you

MM
Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello,

I would recommend getting to a Doctor followed closely by an A.A. meeting. I've seen lots of people come back to the rooms after a relapse and they are met with nothing but love.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

tyou
Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Sailor. I'm so glad you're not giving up on living a sober life. You never have to go back to that miserable place again. We know you can do it.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the supportive words and advice.It is day six without a drink..the garbage truck parked on my chest feels slightly lighter..whew!Thank you fini for suggesting daytox..I've actually attended that in the past and it was helpful..I will be returning to AA though too..to quote one of my fave AA speakers "it's all hands on deck when it comes to recovery..I wish you all a peaceful day and thanks again for the support .Two thumbs way up!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 days, that is awesome!

Those of us in AA are waiting for you, but I think you know that. Hit up a meeting and get back on the horse.