Notices

I think I'm going through withdrawal symptoms

Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I'm going through withdrawal symptoms

Just need a bit of advice really. It's been about 24 hours since my binge (in that time I've drank a half a can of beer as I had the idea in my head it would help with my symptoms), I'm having mild shakes, anxiety and insomnia mainly.

I've eaten 4 pieces of bread, a packet of crisps, a tin of mango pieces & drank 2 cups of green tea. I've been taking in water too.

Would vitamin C & B6 be of any help?

Other than that just keep hydrated and go through it? I don't feel too nauseous and can handle food in small amounts. I'd describe this as mild to moderate but I've never had this before 24 hours after drinking so it's a bit scary to be honest.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best advice anyone here can give you is go and see a Dr VitB..

Detox can sometimes be life threatening and is not something to mess with.

if you're concerned it's well worth the peace of mind to go and see someone, even if it's in the local A and E.

D
Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The best advice anyone here can give you is go and see a Dr VitB..

Detox can sometimes be life threatening and is not something to mess with.

if you're concerned it's well worth the peace of mind to go and see someone, even if it's in the local A and E.

D
Thanks for your reply. I was a bit worried someone would suggest the doctor. I mentioned my SA in my other thread, I wouldn't be able to go, the doctor would have to come to me.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

when i detoxed I shaked all over, was a lone don't ever want to have that feeling again,2 wks later got the flu
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about where you live but Doctors still make house calls here.
Community Nurses do too, yeah?

You can also phone for an ambulance if you're in a bad way.

I has social anxiety too. I didn't seek medical advice and my last detox ended badly.

I nearly died and it's left me with health legacies for the rest of my life now.

I'm not trying to scare you - but I do want to stress its important to find the proper care.

D
Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I dunno about where you live but Doctors still make house calls here.
Community Nurses do too, yeah?
Sorry, I'm in the Midlands in England.

You can also phone for an ambulance if you're in a bad way.

I has social anxiety too. I didn't seek medical advice and my last detox ended badly.

I nearly died and it's left me with health legacies for the rest of my life now.

I'm not trying to scare you - but I do want to stress its important to find the proper care.

D
I understand. I wouldn't say I am in a bad way, just uncomfortable, but as it is the first time I've had this it feels like a wake up call. Typically how long would withdrawal symptoms last for the first time?

Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It depends on a whole variety of factors.

Whether you seek help or not is up to you.....but the bottom line is we're just not allowed to give medical advice here.

why not try the NHS 24/7 hotline?
NHS 24 on 08454 24 24 24. Calls to NHS 24 should cost no more than the price of a local telephone call from a BT landline. Calls from mobiles and other networks may vary.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I somehow managed to never experience any medically severe withdrawals (when I felt like garbage, "hair of dog" was temporary solution), so Im not qualified to suggest anything. As Dee said, we cant give medical advice anyway.

Hydration is of course incredibly important. If you were to insist on doing it alone there are probably nutrients you should be ingesting such as Magnesium and a good B-Complex, plus countless things none of us know of.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by polaris View Post
I somehow managed to never experience any medically severe withdrawals (when I felt like garbage, "hair of dog" was temporary solution), so Im not qualified to suggest anything. As Dee said, we cant give medical advice anyway.

Hydration is of course incredibly important. If you were to insist on doing it alone there are probably nutrients you should be ingesting such as Magnesium and a good B-Complex, plus countless things none of us know of.
Cheers, yeah I've got most of them in the house as it is.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even after this passes - you will still experience a lot of other symptoms (depression, fatigue, etc). Some people think that once they "detox" from alcohol that' all there is. NOT TRUE, especially if you have been drinking for years. Your brain/body will go through changes for a long time depending on your drinking career. I went to my DR and was totally HONEST. He prescribed a sleeping pill to get me through the first few months and later a mild antidepressant. I was stubborn at first and didn't want to take anything. Boy am I glad. I had liver damage and had to go to a follow up a few days ago. I told him I had a slip - but am not drinking again. He said I am doing good and my liver is doing better (had a series of blood work done). Honesty and shedding light on the seriousness of our condition (with a medical provider, counselor) is the FIRST step in healing yourself.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lot's of non alcoholic liquids. Tea is good, maybe put honey in it as well to give some much needed sugars ... My last detox lasted 4 days until feeling physically better and that was after a binge of 200ish units in 4 days. I found Berrocca pretty good too

Just remember how you are feeling now. You don't ever have to feel this way again if you just don't pick up that first drink.

Life will and indeed does get better !

Ads
Old 11-16-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaylaaKent View Post
Some people think that once they "detox" from alcohol that' all there is. NOT TRUE, especially if you have been drinking for years. Your brain/body will go through changes for a long time depending on your drinking career.
It sounds like the immediate issue is withdrawal symptoms from the alcohol itself. Like Dee has mentioned, I also experienced very bad and life threatening withdrawals. Be careful with this. Health professionals can help, perhaps you can at least call the health line and describe your symptoms, and see what they recommend?

In reference to the quote above, that's also something to think about as you move forward. You will feel "off" for quite some time - in your dreams, moods, etc. Do your best to keep informed and develop a support system, whether that means keeping close to SR or going to a local group, etc, it's important in the early goings.

Good luck. How are you feeling?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

At the moment, anxiety has gone down a bit (I've had a sleep for about an hour), still have minor shakes though it seems a little worse once I was up then wears off, I felt almost fine before going to sleep. I've eaten two pieces of buttered bread and two Mr. Kipling cakes. It's been just over 30 hours now (I've had half a can yesterday though which I haven't finished)

I think I may call them just to be on the safe side. My family don't know though. That's another thing that's putting me off doing it.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VitaminB6 View Post
Thanks guys.

At the moment, anxiety has gone down a bit (I've had a sleep for about an hour), still have minor shakes though it seems a little worse once I was up then wears off, I felt almost fine before going to sleep. I've eaten two pieces of buttered bread and two Mr. Kipling cakes. It's been just over 30 hours now (I've had half a can yesterday though which I haven't finished)

I think I may call them just to be on the safe side. My family don't know though. That's another thing that's putting me off doing it.
If you can sleep and eat then i'd say you are not having severe withdrawals. Drink plenty of fluids (non alcoholic ) and never pick up that first drink again! Just my tuppence worth,( or two cents for our American cousins. ) All the best.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nineteen67 View Post
If you can sleep and eat then i'd say you are not having severe withdrawals. Drink plenty of fluids (non alcoholic ) and never pick up that first drink again! Just my tuppence worth,( or two cents for our American cousins. ) All the best.
Cheers mate.

Not long awoke from a 3/4 hour sleep. Feel much better now, still a bit tired but anxiety & shakes gone and I just ate a sandwich.

36 hours now.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cheers mate.

Not long awoke from a 3/4 hour sleep. Feel much better now, still a bit tired but anxiety & shakes gone and I just ate a sandwich.

36 hours now.
Take it easy pal. You never want to feel like this again do you? it's easy. lmao Seriously, all the best to you.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nineteen67 View Post
Take it easy pal. You never want to feel like this again do you? it's easy. lmao Seriously, all the best to you.
Cheers mate. Too right I don't.

I think I'm gonna phone the NHS later and/or go to hospital, insomnia & anxiety is back however I'm eating fine now, had scampi & chips.

Anyone know what they're (the hospital) likely to do?
Old 11-16-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Cheers mate. Too right I don't.

I think I'm gonna phone the NHS later and/or go to hospital, insomnia & anxiety is back however I'm eating fine now, had scampi & chips.

Anyone know what they're (the hospital) likely to do?
After a long ER wait they will probably give you some type of med to make the withdrawal easier or they could try to get you into a place to detox. Every time I went to the ER with withdrawals they tried to see what detox would take me.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Try and get plenty of water inside you today and plenty of fresh fruit...Fresh fruit worked wonders for me and I couldn't get enough of it...I see you are in the Midlands the same as me....What part buddy if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Try and get plenty of water inside you today and plenty of fresh fruit...Fresh fruit worked wonders for me and I couldn't get enough of it...I see you are in the Midlands the same as me....What part buddy if you don't mind me asking?
Birmingham mate, just down the road.