Alcoholic...but I work full time.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR AmyMae

D
Old 11-12-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me it took talking to my doctor. I used to drink myself until I found myself in the emergency room. I finally found a therapist who gave me the somewhat counterintuitive advice to continue to drink (though less than I normally would) for a few days while I could make arrangements and see my doctor, who prescribed medication for a medical detox at home. All of those years I'd been terrified on inpatient and in the end all it really took was being honest with my doctor and myself. Honesty combined with medical and emotional support made all the difference! Your doctor won't judge you, ask for help before you do wind up in a drastic emergency or inpatient situation. Also, remember that while you're drinking, your brain works in fuzzy ways. Mine allowed me to tell myself all kinds of stories. After a medical detox (not easy, but safe and at home!) I was able to more clearly assess next steps.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KarenSW View Post
The only thing that has worked for me is AA. I can truly say that AA has changed my life. I wasn't sure about that when I first got there, but I wanted to get sober more than I wanted to drink. I found out quickly that all I needed was just a little bit of willingness to take some suggestions and went from there. GracieLou is right, all you need is an hour to spend at a meeting. I look at it this way, in order for me to get sober, I need to spend as much time getting sober as I did drinking. Good luck and I'm glad you're here!!
What she said ^^
Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think maybe part of what has somewhat has somewhat may have SOMEWHAT kept my drinking is check is my job...you cant exactly just call in sick and missing or being late to work has some pretty serious consequences...Thats not to say I havent shown up to work extremely drunk or hungover many many times (which can also get you in serious trouble, but somehow Ive managed to avoid it). ITs a terrible feeling to wake up on a workday completely smashed and hungover, and realize that somehow you have to pull it together and make it through the day.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Call your EAP folks at work. Assuming you work at a corporation, they will help out finding you a program and get the ball rolling with STD and FMLA. If you're drinking is that bad, you will need to do something to keep your job, you know? Best of luck.