Notices

At home Dr prescribed medical detox

Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At home Dr prescribed medical detox

Has anyone else done this? they gave me all the vitamins, Zofran, Kolonpin (sp?) etc... im tapering off alcohol with alcohol as far as I can until sunday. then I want to start this. with any luck I will be at 2 drinks a day... if I don't get sick prior. If you have done this, how did it go? What am I to expect?? I'm very nervous. I keep panicking, I cant sleep, I'm just scared. I was drinking like 10-13 shots of vodka a day for about 3 years maybe more... and I have a terrible phobia of throwing up. No, I don't know how I haven't puked on that much booze and terrible hangovers... ha. Im just scared and would like to hear some experiences. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello,

IDK about at home detox... most people I know were inpatient detoxes. I would recommend, if possible, having a friend check on you regularly. Good luck with these first steps towards a new life.. You CAN do it!

John
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I live with my mom so that won't be a problem. I can go 24 hours now with nothing so I'm hoping I will be ok. I can't wait to be rid of this demon.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

even with a taper im still feeling foggy and anxious and wanting to cry today... ive done two shots to try and fix it because I have important plans and can still have the vodka... ok I am crying. I feel so erratic... is this is hard as I think? ive heard it to be worse than heroin... and that terrifies me.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh and im waiting because I can't miss any work and I have no clue how I will be feeling. next week I have off at least sun-weds
Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've done this and they advised me to take my pulse and BP on a regular basis and to go to the ER if things get too bad.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wouldn't recommend home detox. I just got out of the hospital (detoxed for a week) last week. When I was detoxing, I had BAD withdraws the second and third night. Just say, it got ugly. Something I'm not proud of, put it that way.

Anywho, I'm home now. I am also on Zofran and others. The Zofran is for upset tummy. the others are for pain (in my case), ect. The Zofran works well for upset tummy, for me anyway.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts that ignored our Rule 10 on med advice

Here is the SR Rule in full....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
There is a line between sharing our experiences and giving specific advice on specific drugs and treatments.

I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

We are a peer support group here. We simply cannot give medical advice. You need to see a medical professional for that.

Thanks for your understanding

Dee
SR
Old 11-05-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I removed some posts that ignored our Rule 10 on med advice

Here is the SR Rule in full....

There is a line between sharing our experiences and giving specific advice on specific drugs and treatments.

I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

We are a peer support group here. We simply cannot give medical advice. You need to see a medical professional for that.

Thanks for your understanding

Dee
SR
Fair enough ,

Would it be out of line to reinforce ,to not drink and take the meds the doc prescribed -in the amount he rx ed them ?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kitty

The best thing to do is follow your Dr's instructions.
Did they tell you to taper and start Sunday?

If you're not sure on anything, ask your Dr.
If you're concerned about the advice you were given, get a second opinion.

It's good you have someone there.

Like Taking5 said don;t hesitate to go to the ER or see your Dr if you feel like you need to

best wishes

D
Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

they didnt tell me to wait, but that's when I have 3 days off. idk how im gonna feel
Old 11-05-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know either , but I do know I felt better very quickly .

Once that poison leaves your system ,it seems it returns to normal very soon .

Not waking up with those killer hangovers ,is the best part .
Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think home detox is a good idea. Just doesn't sound like a good idea.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kittykitty2802 View Post
even with a taper im still feeling foggy and anxious and wanting to cry today... ive done two shots to try and fix it because I have important plans and can still have the vodka... ok I am crying. I feel so erratic... is this is hard as I think? ive heard it to be worse than heroin... and that terrifies me.
It's not fun or easy and can be scarey which is why I'm against home detox.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
It's not fun or easy and can be scarey which is why I'm against home detox.
even dr advised? and guided?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said before people shouldn't be offering medical advice here Kitty.

If you trust your Dr, then go with what they suggest - they've seen you in person and looked you over...we haven't.

If on the other hand you're not sure that you agree with your Dr, it's probably best to get a second opinion.

It's good to keep in mind too that you're not exactly following Dr's orders right now by trying to taper until the weekend.

That's entirely your call, but tapering is never easy in my experience - even when you can stick to a taper down, it's like prolonging something that really sucks.

It's also true that tapering sometimes can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, but you have someone there with you so that's good.
I don't want to scare you

I think you need to decide what your plan is going to be, and do it. If you need more expert opinion, please do look for that.

D
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

even dr advised? and guided?
Go with what your DR says, I'm just giving you my 2 cents. I wouldn't want to detox at home, even if a DR gave me the option. At first I wanted to detox at home, but as it got worse I didn't like the idea anymore. I wanted to go somewhere and be watched around the clock.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Like I said before people shouldn't be offering medical advice here Kitty.

If you trust your Dr, then go with what they suggest - they've seen you in person and looked you over...we haven't.

If on the other hand you're not sure that you agree with your Dr, it's probably best to get a second opinion.

It's good to keep in mind too that you're not exactly following Dr's orders right now by trying to taper until the weekend.

That's entirely your call, but tapering is never easy in my experience - even when you can stick to a taper down, it's like prolonging something that really sucks.

It's also true that tapering sometimes can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, but you have someone there with you so that's good.
I don't want to scare you

I think you need to decide what your plan is going to be, and do it. If you need more expert opinion, please do look for that.

D
Exactly, we can offer medical advice, just our 2 cents and experiences. I tried tapering also and it failed. I don't think many succeed.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, alcohol withdrawals, along with benzos, are the worst withdrawals of all, and they can kill you. Opiate withdrawals, while painful as hell, are rarely fatal. Here is a good article on it:

Alcohol, benzos, and opiates - Withdrawal that might kill yo | Psychology Today
Old 11-06-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Clearly I was misunderstood. I was not asking for opinions, I was not asking for medical advice. I was asking for experiences with this one specific thing. I am following Dr orders, I was not given a date to begin, I chose one. Never mind... thanks anyways.