Notices

At home Dr prescribed medical detox

Old 11-06-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was asking for experiences with this one specific thing.
I understand that.

I hope you understand my point that it's best to go to back to your Dr if you have concerns, or go to another Dr if you're not satisfied with the advice you've been given.

If home detox is scary for you why not ask about inpatient detox?

D
Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Theres a number of reasons that I can't go. Since I've decided to cut down prior to this ive been doing well, not feeling to terrible at all today, just tired. i am spacing out measured units by hours (lots of hours) until I can start the meds, waking up not being hung over feels great. day four of cut down, feeling proud thus far.
I do understand ur point, and I understand her instructions clearly:
Start the meds very soon,take doses as prescribed, no more than 2 drinks only if necessary for a day or two while on them. Have my mom watch me, call ambulance if certain things happen, go for a follow up and get therapy. I'm doing everything by Dr orders.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

It makes more sense to me now I know it was your decision not to go to detox.

Start the meds very soon,take doses as prescribed, no more than 2 drinks only if necessary for a day or two while on them.
I've never heard of drinking on a detox tho - and I know for a fact drinking on klonopin can be very dangerous.

I think you better touch base with your Dr again.

D
Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

she said it loud and clear several times and said no more than two IF absolutely necessary. both my mother and I heard it and she warned me.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

and ive heard of them injecting small amounts of alcohol into patients in inpatient detox when necessary. ive done my research.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm done

I'm glad you've done your research.
I hope all goes well when you start.

D
Old 11-06-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kittykitty2802 View Post
and ive heard of them injecting small amounts of alcohol into patients in inpatient detox when necessary. ive done my research.
Good for you. You came to an alcoholic recovery forum asking questions about home detox. One of the rules here , unfortunately , is that no one can provide medical advice. This was explained and people still tried to provide their input. Please remember all of us here are always trying to provide support for those who wish to quit drinking. Just because an answer goes against your vision does not mean we/they are trying to offend you. Only assist.

Do you have a recovery approach in mind? How do you feel about your future use of alcohol?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have never heard of injecting alcohol into patients in detox. I can find no information about that.

I know there are Harm Reduction Programs which give rationed amounts of alcohol to alcoholics, in an attempt to keep them safe and alive.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I have never heard of injecting alcohol into patients in detox. I can find no information about that.

I know there are Harm Reduction Programs which give rationed amounts of alcohol to alcoholics, in an attempt to keep them safe and alive.
Never heard of it either, or drinking while taking meds at a home detox. Doesn't sound right, but I'm not a DR.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
Never heard of it either, or drinking while taking meds at a home detox. Doesn't sound right, but I'm not a DR.

They do have injectible alcohol. It says medical alcohol on the label and is rarely used. I doubt that most hospitals would even have it in stock.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think mixing alcohol with Klonopin is very dangerous.
Klonopin may cause respiratory depression and apnea.

I just tried to do a home detox on my son and it didn't go well.
We ended up having to go to the ER. The detox in the ER only took about 5 hours.
He was able to stay sober after that.

Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can escalate fast so go to the ER at the first sign of problems rather than waiting until it gets bad.

This is my experience. My son's blood pressure went sky high and his medication did not help. He was gagging which is very dangerous because it can rupture a blood vessel in the esophagus and cause death. He had severe heart palpitations and his heart enzymes were raised due to the alcohol withdrawal. He had severe respiratory depression and was forgetting to breathe in his sleep. I was fortunate and had a sleep apnea machine that kept him breathing. He began having tremors which is a dangerous symptom.

Detox is different for each person and can be different each time.
Get to the ER at the first sign of trouble.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kittykitty2802 View Post
I was drinking like 10-13 shots of vodka a day for about 3 years
I guess everyone is different.

I am now 102 days sober.

I drank anywhere from 8 to 25 drinks nearly everyday for 25 years.

When I quit I was irritable, achy and sweaty like I had a slight flu but it wasn't bad at all.

Good luck.