Notices

Drinking Money, Where Does It Go Now?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
jkb

Shoes and new clothes. I treat myself every time I reach a milestone...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I wish it was that simple right now. At nearly two years unemployed, I've been putting a pretty large dent in my IRA (that's a retirement savings account for my non US friends) to pay the bills. But I'm not complaining; I feel very fortunate that the money is even there, otherwise my family would be facing some pretty grim circumstances. At least by not drinking, I'm withdrawing much less from the account than I would be if I were drinking.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I treat myself to something small everyday. whether its something like a packet of crisps or a game... I try not to spend more than £5, half of what I would average on booze a day.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I was spending over $600.00 a month on booze and now I have no idea where that is going. I seem to be no further ahead
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

364g32l3493.jpgSome of mine went here.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I like your sobriety date....10-4....roger that. For those of you not familiar 10-4 is walkie talkie speak for "OK"
Old 11-08-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Some days I spend it on ****

other days I can be so good & save it for my travels
Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

New makeup!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Running shoes, as I am running everyday. And books, as I can read in bed at night rather than blackout every night.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ornithology View Post
Running shoes, as I am running everyday. And books, as I can read in bed at night rather than blackout every night.
I'm reading a lot more now too. Reading has been a lifelong love of mine that was pushed to the side during my drinking. It's such a joy reading again.

My wife and I love garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores and the like. I buy hardcover books in like new condition for a dollar or two. To me, one of the best bargains imaginable.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Will be a year in December for me. I have saved all my money and my children and grand children are going to have a Christmas they won't forget this year. I'm even getting a tree something we have not had in years and years.
Next year it won't be so outlandish but this year I want to celebrate my sobriety lavishly on the kids.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I went on a week-long residential writing course.
Met some brilliant people and found the workshops (some outdoors) very therapeutic for my mind and soul.
I reckon I'll have saved £3000 this year by not drinking and even with this course and other small treats, gifts for others, holidays - I still have more money than had I been drinking.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

The nice thing about

Wine Women and Song

Is that after you eliminate the expense of the Wine

You can afford to spend more on the other two LOL
Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Matt M

Mine just goes on things I enjoy really.
Ok I did enjoy drinking at times, but these other things I enjoy don't have the hugely negative and dangerous side to them!

I won over £1000 last week on a couple of football bets, I've bought several books, several films on blu-ray and basically enough things to keep me entertained for a long time.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Walked into my local bike shop yesterday, and bought a $400 pair of Specialized S-Works carbon fibre soled racing shoes. These will last me a whole season.

Last year, 400 bucks would have paid for about 3 weeks of alcohol for me.

The kid serving was excited to see a customer throwing down on the most expensive shoes in the shop, and said, 'you must be rich'.

'I didn't used to be, but I worked hard for it', I replied.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

When I first got sober, I expected a financial windfall to be heading my way. When that didn't materialize, there were times when I would get frustrated. I mean, getting sober was the answer to solving all my problems, right?

But upon closer examination, things weren't quite what they seemed. Before I got sober, I was driving over a financial cliff. My plans to support myself and my family were to max out my credit card. I had a history of horrible credit, and always had issues paying bills on time.

Today, after one year of not drinking, the savings account is still painfully small. However....all my bills are paid and up to date. To boot, the credit card actually has a positive balance! As well, things I've relied on my parents for, for far too long, I'm footing the bill now. Plane tickets to visit, trips to the dentist, etc.

So where has all my money gone since I got sober? Towards being financial responsible is the boring and unexciting answer.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Nomis - that is quality and you know it. Nice work.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

fuel to get to the beach for surfin' trips.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Family! Since quitting, we've gone to Jamaica and Ontario to visit family, and we're saving up for a camper.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
When I first got sober, I expected a financial windfall to be heading my way. When that didn't materialize, there were times when I would get frustrated. I mean, getting sober was the answer to solving all my problems, right?

But upon closer examination, things weren't quite what they seemed. Before I got sober, I was driving over a financial cliff. My plans to support myself and my family were to max out my credit card. I had a history of horrible credit, and always had issues paying bills on time.

Today, after one year of not drinking, the savings account is still painfully small. However....all my bills are paid and up to date. To boot, the credit card actually has a positive balance! As well, things I've relied on my parents for, for far too long, I'm footing the bill now. Plane tickets to visit, trips to the dentist, etc.

So where has all my money gone since I got sober? Towards being financial responsible is the boring and unexciting answer.
That is great and in my mind shows how much you love your family.